Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music/Song Choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up from the depths of two months ago to chip in:

I use a lot of songs from the '70s. It's what I grew up listening to, and I've never stopped listening to folks like Costello and Zevon. It appears to have the following positive effects:

1) Novelty. I can choose songs not many people have heard before.

2) Lyric use. To stereotype entirely unfairly, lyrics were better in the '70s, especially for the dark, slightly paranoid tinge which I like to give to a lot of my videos (ensembles in particular.) People were more questioning in those days.

It has some negative effects too, though:

1) Unfamiliarity. People will go look at a Lady Gaga video or an Owl City video before they will look at an Elvis Costello or Warren Zevon video.

2) People not getting the song. Say I were to use 'Tramp the Dirt Down' (Elvis Costello), which is a response to Margaret Thatcher (he's not a fan). Not many younger Americans know who she is. Similarly with Zevon, if I were to use 'Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner,' which is about a Norwegian commando serving in the Boer War (and then getting his head blown off and stalking his killer through Africa), it would lose people who would never have heard of the Boer War. If those songs somehow connected to a character (say I did a ghost story to the last song, using Mikhail or Keamy or somebody), I would have to be very explicit/obvious, otherwise people wouldn't get it.

What I listen to is what I listen to, though, and I'm not going to sit through some insiped and terrible Miley Cyrus song just for a few more hits. (Hell, I wouldn't sit through it for a free lunch, either. Maybe $20. Provided I could have some Costello or Zevon to cleanse myself with afterwards, though!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: