Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Leylin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: About Leylin Reply with quote

First off, this isn't the post that you might be expecting, the "bad news" we were always afraid that we'd one day have to give.

Leylin is no longer a member of the Council. We recently learned that, though she does seem to legitimately have the chronic pain disorder known as RSD, she does not actually have cancer, neither the leukemia nor the neuroblastoma tumors in her spine or brain. All of the things we were told in her update thread in regards to those cancers (and the resulting surgeries, treatments, etc.) were untrue.

She was given the opportunity to come clean publicly because she made her "cancer" such a public thing via the update thread she maintained, but, as that she has not, then we had no choice but to do so for her. This was a very difficult thing for us to do. We definitely don't want to incite angry PMs or emails into being sent to her, we're not trying to publicly shame her in any way, but we felt like we simply couldn't not tell the people who have invested so much caring into her well-being.

LVI has always had a reputation of being a friendly, welcoming site. I think it's a testament to that in how so many of us opened our hearts to someone in whom we believed was in dire circumstances, offering good thoughts and prayers, messages of support as well as making vids to cheer her up and other things like that. I hope that we all keep that same spirit of caring, that we don't let this make us jaded or distrusting. That would be the worst thing of all in my opinion.

I really don't know what else to say beyond this. Most of us have either a family member or a close friend who's been affected by cancer. It's something that struck very deep for many of us and it's just not the sort of thing that someone should ever lie about. We've gone through and are continuing to go through feelings of indignation, anger, disappointment and just overwhelming disbelief and sadness. All we can conclude is that it would take someone very troubled to decide to carry out this sort of deception. I can't even pretend to understand.

I am glad, though, that this isn't the post I thought we'd one day have to make; I'm honestly relieved in some weird way. However, this was never the end we saw coming, either. It's a sad, unfortunate situation for all of us.

Last edited by Aislynn on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh...I don't even know what to say to this. I'm with you, Ais, in being glad that this isn't the "bad news" post we were all afraid of....because when I first saw this thread I got quite worried for a moment. Um....I guess all I can say is that this kind of makes me sad for everyone who's been worried about Leylin, and also sad for Leylin herself....I don't know why she would do this, but I'm sure she needs some kind of help.

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eryn. *hugs* To say this was a huge shock is a massive understatement. *more hugs* ♥♥♥
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here so didn't know anything about the situatio. But having lost my gran, who i was very close to, to cancer last year it makes me really angry to hear that someone would lie about this.

obviously a person that deserves pity if they craved attention that much.

It's so sad seeing as everyone here is so friendly and I can imagine were genuinly worried
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I really quite don't know what to say about this. I just find it really, really shocking that someone would do something like that. This is just something that, in my book, is absolutely reprehensible. Especially considering all the families that actually have to deal with stuff like this on a daily basis, people who really do have cancer and are suffering.

This is just really disappointing, and I really feel for all the people (including myself) who were genuinely concerned for Ley and made numerous gestures showing love and support for her. I guess though, even if it's not true, the good thing is that it's shown just how much people can care about someone they've never met. And if anything (god forbid & hoping not) does happen to someone here, those people have a wonderful support network here full of amazing, loving people.

I think Eryn is on to something - I don't want to demean Ley, or like Ais said, publicly shame her or anything, but some people are just willing to do anything and everything for attention. Whether that stems from her being so young, or something more than that, I agree - she probably just needs some help
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Thanks, Eryn. *hugs* To say this was a huge shock is a massive understatement. *more hugs* ♥♥♥

*hugs back*

art by me&tammy
Lost-majs
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what to say right now... And I'm not sure, if I've misunderstood it or something... Did Leylin lie, about her having cancer? If it's true, i am very shocked, cause she didn't seem like a person, to do that... But I agree with everyone. She needs some kind if help, and of course I feel sorry for both her, and the people who's been caring so much about her
OvariesOfSteel
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I was taken in by the lie, not having come to the board until last year, and while I would say it's disgusting-if there's any chance there is Munchausen Syndrome involved, I'll refrain.

I'm glad you made it public and I hope everyone who has been taken in by it can forgive, or at least forget, and move on.

Banner by Sarah

Writing4aCause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I personally would have liked to have known sooner I was wondering why people didn't have their Ley support banners on their sigs ;/

I don't believe Ley to be a fake person as I have communicated with her by voice and chat. We have a right to be hurt but a lot of us here knew her as more than the 'cancer girl' so I hope we can forgive her.

And yes I agree Ais at least we will never have to lose her. I was dreading that day.

*hugs for everyone*
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, yeah I would have liked to know about this sooner too and I'm kind of confused about how you guys found out she was lying and pretty amazed at how well she carried out the lie b/c those updates seemed so real and sad. But like you Ais I am kind of relieved this isn't the post I was expecting(that she had died) but I do feel angry about all this b/c I spent time worrying and feeling really sad for the family. But Ley if you are reading this I really do wish you the best and I hope that you find what is missing in your life so you dont' feel the need to ever do something like this again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't believe that Leylin would do this... Like Maja said, she didn't seem the type. I just don't get why she would do this! I really worried about her for all this time... Yeah... It's just a huge shock.

But I do agree with everyone who's said that at least now we won't lose her.

icon by becca
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having joined the board recently, I knew very little about Leylin, except what I picked up from people's siggies and some posts. That said, I can only imagine how hard it must be for so many people here to comprehend and reconcile what happened.

I totally agree with what Abs said-something good can be taken out of this, that we are a group of incredibly caring individuals who will rally around one of us who needs the support and love. That's a really wonderful, amazing thing.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs everybody*

Paul and Nikki, like we mentioned in the first post, we gave her a deadline to come clean, with her being aware that if she didn't do it, then we would have no choice but to do it ourselves. So this was the very soonest we could reveal this, since we wanted to give what we felt was a fair amount of time for her to do the telling about it herself.
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update Aislynn. I'm glad she's physically ok and will get a chance to work out whatever is wrong in her life.
Kuliet4ever
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone that stumbled across Leylin's story and thread as well as was one of those that made one of the cheer up vids...Im not sure how I feel right this moment. Still processing I guess. I too am so glad that we will never get that ultimate sad news, and I still do feel for her that she felt the need to do that. I hope that she can now get the help that she needs and move on. *hugs to all*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: