Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The rantings of a Heroes newbie...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: The rantings of a Heroes newbie... Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm sorry to start a new thread, but I HAD to! I'm sure there is one, but I couldn't find a Heroes thread, save for the one that is discussing the premiere of the third season, which I am nowhere near close to. And i've been DYING to talk to someone about the show! So here I am... forgive me

SO. The SOLE reason I decided to watch Heroes was because of Mr. Zachary Quinto. I basically became a Spock groupie when I saw Star Trek, and I was eager for some more Quintoness.

I had watched the Pilot episode before, and quite frankly, I found it pretty dull. It was nowhere near as compelling and attention grabbing as the LOST Pilot was. So I gave up. But where the storyline, writing, and acting couldn't, ZQ grabbed my attention, and thus I started watching.

So i'm ALMOST done with the first season (I'm on the episode 'Five Years Gone'), and I am DYING (like I said) to discuss it with somebody! I keep comparing it to LOST... well, the writing at least.

So my main problems at this point are...

PETER AND CLAIRE: I talked to my cousin about this (he watches the show) and he disagreed with what I had to say. What I had to say was this: I swear to God that they set it up from the beginning like they were going to be a couple! They were so damn flirty! And how when she's leaving his cell, she turns and says, "You're totally my Hero"!??!? COME ON! My cousin thought they were setting it up as a 'Big brother, little sister' type thing, but I personally thought it was really poor writing, because they led me in the completely wrong direction. HE IS HER DAMN UNCLE! Sheesh...

TIME TRAVEL: Their time travel is bogus. REALLY difficult to wrap my head around. Lost's time travel is mind boggling too, but in a way that is logical. Like this whole thing where Hiro keeps skipping into the future is really not sitting with me. If he's IN Manhattan and it's destroyed, and people are living their lives there, how can he change it? I don't know if i'm making sense here (it's a tad difficult to convey through writing) but it just seems illogical. Like you know with Lost it's, 'What happened, happened'. So if he goes and changes it that has serious implications on time... all those people that lived through the explosion and everything that happened to them... it's totally reversed. Which to me would imply alternate realities... It just makes no sense. LOST makes sense. Haha.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND STORYLINE: LORD, it is taking SO freakin LONG for them all to get together!!! The separate storylines are starting to kill me after all this time. It's like in LOST when the group gets split up and you have to deal with two different groups (i.e., season three- the people on Hydra Island and the people back on mainland) only it's intensified by like 10,000,000 because there are like FIVE different story lines!!!!!!!

Also, character development is a bit stiff I feel. Like Sylar... sure he's a psycho murder, but why? Because he's power hungry? But WHY exactly is he power hungry? Because he felt insignificant his whole life? I feel like the writers have a good start, but they need to build. AND perhaps they do... I just haven't seen it yet. And this complaint is applicable to most of the other characters too-- maybe it is because i'm an actor, but I want to know what makes them tick, and why they act the way they do (that's how I always approach a character that i'm going to act-- I try to get inside their head). I feel like LOST does an excellent job of that. Heroes is lacking a little bit.

THE GOOD STUFF:

Well... it's watchable. Hahaha. It is pretty good so far, and I do enjoy watching it, even if I am bitching about it now. I actually feel like they have an excellent outline, but that it needs to be elaborated on with better writing (like the LOST writers, for instance ). But I feel like they made that outline into the show. It's fairly decent, and they have great basework, but the show is missing its salt (like when a dish of food is missing that little something... with writing, I call it the salt).

Honestly though, if it wasn't for Zach's gorgeous face, I wouldn't be watching it However, he does have a gorgeous face, and I AM watching it so... someone talk to me!!!!

DISCLAIMER: Guys, if you are hardcore Heroes fans, I didn't mean to offend anyone! Take everything I say super lightly, please. It is a really good show, and even if I talk crap, I really do enjoy it

P.S.- I love Hiro. He is way too cute!

Banner and Avi by me. I take requests.
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know i'm replying to my own thread. BUT I figured out why Hiro's time travel bothers me.

For instance, when the two Hiro's meet face to face at the beginning of Five Years Gone. Wouldn't the future Hiro remember that moment? Like remember living it as the present Hiro? He says, "You shouldn't be here" but wouldn't he REMEMBER having come there, and thus known he had to show up?

Does that make sense?

EDIT-

This isn't "The Future". It's an alternate reality. And it's really bothering me how they aren't making that clear.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally fell for Zach in this, so I highly approve of your Zach!love. *nods while drawing hearts around him* ♥!

I completely agree about Peter and Claire: you just can't convince me that they knew they were going to make them related from the start because their scenes are just SO DARN SHIPPY! They were totally setting them up to be the big love story on the show until they went, "Yeah, so Claire will be Nathan's daughter and... CRAP, Peter is Nathan's brother, isn't he???" And they just went ahead and stuck with her being Nathan's daughter and tried to write themselves out of all the shippiness after that.

Hmmm, it's been a while since I saw season 1 but it was my favorite, tied with the first part of season 3. I don't to spoil you for anything so I'm trying to be careful what I say!

I'm glad you're enjoying it (flaws and all, which is basically the way you have to come at Heroes, in my experience ) and yay for loving the Quintoness of it! \o/ ♥!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot this part...

riay_night wrote:
This isn't "The Future". It's an alternate reality. And it's really bothering me how they aren't making that clear.

Yeah, that bugs me, too. They keep calling it THE future but they're definitely doing alternate realities, not just straight-up time-travel, which is what they keep making it sound like.

I don't mind alternate realities but it sucks when you think they're doing just "regular" time-travel and so you're waiting for them to tie all of the events together and tell you how you're going to get from Point A to Point B and then you realize... They've just dropped the whole thing!
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Ais! You just put it perfectly about the time travel thing! Because I was looking at it thinking, 'Just relax and watch it. Who cares if it doesn't make sense?' But then I realized I was only bothered BECAUSE they were masquerading it as straight up time travel, like in LOST. We are clearly dealing with alternate realities. I'm in the middle of watching 'Five Years Gone' as I type this, and it is REALLY disturbing. Peter Niki!?!?!? Yikes! And crazy Nathan in the white house... gosh.

Quote:

I completely agree about Peter and Claire: you just can't convince me that they knew they were going to make them related from the start because their scenes are just SO DARN SHIPPY! They were totally setting them up to be the big love story on the show until they went, "Yeah, so Claire will be Nathan's daughter and... CRAP, Peter is Nathan's brother, isn't he???" And they just went ahead and stuck with her being Nathan's daughter and tried to write themselves out of all the shippiness after that.

LOL!!! That is one hundred percent accurate I think. It was wayyyy too shippy in the beginning. The entire time I was watching 'Homecoming' I just kept thinking that it would be vidders heaven-- with all those dramatic moments, and of course the classic meeting lines ("I'm Claire" blah blah). Then they pull the rug out from under me and declare that they are related!

Anyway, I still enjoy it, even with its flaws, lol. Zach being evil looking and sexy is enough to keep me going.

riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha Ais, in the episode i'm watching Peter says the following to Claire.

"I found you in Odessa. We save each other. This isn't just random..."

All I could think was, 'I beg to differ.'

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Jourdan. It's so true! This show is really random sometimes, especially the further it goes. Basically, you just have to accept some of the mistakes and enjoy it anyway (though the time travel and random different futures thing bothered me too. They do it quite a few times)... just until it becomes too much around s3.

You're right, I always thought Claire/Peter was waaay shippy! They were so cute! And then suddenly it's like "poof! Just kidding, guys, he's actually just her uncle." LOL It's so ridiculous. And then so people starting shipping her with Sylar, and it even kinda looked like their might be something later later in the show, just a few subtle hints and stuff, and then they're like (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled) -

Spoiler:

Hey, he's her uncle too (which is turns out he wasn't)!

Oh, and they talk alot more about Sylar's past in v3 and 4. And trust me, I feel you. If it weren't for zach, I probably would have quit watching a sooner, though I was genuinely into it in seasons 1 and 2.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fandom I looove Heroes. And I personally love the time travelling stuff. Five Years Gone is one of my favourite episodes. I think it can be pretty illogical in Heroes and Lost tbh...it's pretty complicated stuff. But I love it
Lol, I never shipped Peter and Claire that way the first time I watched S1. They were pretty cute but yeah, I see it as a family sort of relationship. The Petrelli's tend to be a bit touchy feely. That's why many people ship Petrellicest. =P
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol So true, Jemma. I laugh at how often Nathan kisses or touches Peter in an openly affectionate way. it'd be so easy to make a vid.. people have. Yeah, at first I shipped Peter and Claire, just for a few seconds, cuz that's all they gave us before we figured out they were related. I thought they were kind of leaning towards a relationship before they dropped that bomb. xD
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, they make it so easy don't they?? It's ridiculous xD But I guess the whole slash thing is very Heroes now. Too many slash couples in the fandom to keep count of =p I kind of started to ship Peter and Claire a tiny bit during S3 (that future!Paire scene ) and after I rewatched S1. But as purely AU. I wouldn't like it in the actual show
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same with me. I really like them as a couple for some reason, but as an AU couple, cuz it'd be creepy on the show. But yeah, loved that future!Paire scene!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me + Heroes now = Time to give up lol.

I really adored it when it first started but has just gone down for me
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroes is loooovvve. AND OMG ZACHARY QUINTO SQUEE OKAY I'M DONE NOW YEAH. (Btw, Jourdan, love your banner and av. )

Aww, I know it's sometimes a really annoying show, but it's definitely worth watching. And you know, when it gets REALLY bad then it's just fun to make fun of.

I personally loved the first season, and the second half of the third. Second season sucked except for the Syhindlar in the finale.

Waaah, I was such a Paire shipper until I found out they were related. >_< Still haven't quite given up on that one....though I'm kind of all about Sylaire after the THIRD season finale!

Quote:
But I guess the whole slash thing is very Heroes now. Too many slash couples in the fandom to keep count of

Oh God, yes. Heroes is what STARTED me on slash. (Syhindlar=OTP and I am NOT giving up on that, it's FAR too canon. ) And LOL, I agree about the Nathan/Peter scenes...it's hard NOT to ship them. And I did, for a few minutes earlier in the third season but then I quit because ...yeah, that's a little too creepy.

So yeah, the show is full of mistakes and stuff, but you just have to learn to enjoy it anyway. It'll never be a show like Lost, for instance, but it's still one of my favorites, in all its silly yet wonderful glory.

(One thing Heroes has going for it is that they have yet to kill off all my favorite characters, like Lost did...but if Sylar, Peter, and/or Mohinder die, I'm gone. )

art by me&tammy
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang guys! I'm so glad everyone replied!!!!

So, two more episodes until i've finished the first season. It's pretty decent, but i'm really afraid of what i'm going to find after that, since everyone seems to have given up. If volume three is Sylar-heavy, that will likely keep me going. LORD, that man is SO SEXY. Just look at my banner! Everytime I do, I die! And thanks so much Eryn for appreciating it

Dude, I seriously thought they were laying the foundations for Paire in Homecoming. I was seriously like WTF!?!?!?/// when I found out they're related.

Eryn, I love the idea of Syhinder!!!! I already see the slashyness going on... lmfao. Also Peter and Sylar... because they're the only two with multiple powers (thus far). I really like that idea-- Peter representing good, and Sylar evil. Peter gets powers naturally, but Sylar kills for them... it's interesting I think.

Sass, I am like wtf @ your spoiler! I already know that Sylar is a father of some sort... and that that's revealed in season three I think? I already knew, and then I was in the NBC store in NYC today and they had a Sylar shirt that said, 'Who's your daddy?' I was so disappointed though-- they had no other good Sylar/Zach merch. But GOD. Cannot get over Zach...

So apparently he is GAY in real life. It's a rumor... but have you SEEN what he wears when he is out and about? Also apparently page six said he frequents gay bars... *sigh*. Like I said, if he is gay, I am getting a sex change

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LORD, that man is SO SEXY. Just look at my banner! Everytime I do, I die!

AGREED! Yeah, Jourdan, I die of freak out every time I see your banner too. XD What? He's really gay? NOES! My friend was telling me she thought he was...but I'm gonna live in my corner of denial. It's not just a river in Egypt, people....(Cookies to anyone who undertsnads that. Denial?)

Zach Quinto = <3

Quote:
Eryn, I love the idea of Syhinder!!!!

YAY! I don't have anyone to ship that with, other than my sister and our crazy friend who likes pretty much ANY slash. I started seeing it in...um, like, the episode Parasite, I think. Yup, that was what converted me to Syhindlar. (I love its ship name too. It's so fun to say. )

Quote:
Like I said, if he is gay, I am getting a sex change

ROFL. I said the same thing one time when ,my sister tried to tell me Dom Monaghan is gay (which he's not...she was kidding). Same applies here.

art by me&tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: