Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I'm Your Man" - Locke
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: "I'm Your Man" - Locke Reply with quote

* "I'm Your Man"
Our very first Locke video.
* Song: I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen
Vidder: JennMiller
Length: 4:16 (17.5MB WMV)
Link: http://zeromuch.org/Locke.zip

Loved how you cut it so Locke seemed to be saying some of the lyrics! All-around a classy piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song kinda made me a little nauseus. It reminded me of some Korean folk tunes I was subjected to growing up oddly enough so blame my parents. I think the cheesy sound of the synthesizer was the kicker. I also really didn't understand the connection of a lot of the clips to the lyrics.

The near lip syncs were pretty cool though.

Thanks for sharing though.

My lost music vids
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watch this one since I first put it up a long time ago. But I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings when I say I found this one to be a poor reflection of the character and it was just.... AWKWARD. But others seem to like it.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
I haven't watch this one since I first put it up a long time ago. But I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings when I say I found this one to be a poor reflection of the character and it was just.... AWKWARD. But others seem to like it.

I liked it--and man I love Locke, but he is the most awkward character on television.

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to say nicer things to the videos in my reviews here, unless the person specifically asks me to criticize or I'm judging a video backstage
I suppose if you read enough of them, you'll soon be able to recognize what I really feel about some videos on here but hopefully that never happens.
This one... meh, wasn't wonderful, but it wasn't so bad either... but then again that was during the first sweep through all of these. I can safely say that the new ones we get through could kick ass and take names compared to many of these first first videos...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Duane Barry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. Funny and very well put together. It's one of my favorites of the ones I've seen.
MarieWP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just imagining how I'd feel in her shoes. I'm not sure if vidders here have to give permission to have their videos critiqued when their videos are accepted (?). I realize you have no trouble recruiting videos at present but this kind of thing would scare me off if I had made any Lost videos.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarieWP wrote:
I'm just imagining how I'd feel in her shoes. I'm not sure if vidders here have to give permission to have their videos critiqued when their videos are accepted (?). I realize you have no trouble recruiting videos at present but this kind of thing would scare me off if I had made any Lost videos.

Critique is a part of the artist community. As any of the council member can tell you, I refer to us all as vidders, because that's what this art form has choosen to define us as. Just like movies have writers and directors and paintings have a painter no form of art exists without someone creating that art. With that said I believe strongly that you can't improve artforms unless you know what needs improving and what works and what doesn't. I strongly encourage constructive comments to the videos on the site because I know that the artist behind that video can benefit from the comments and knowledge of others.

I think a lot of my stand on this comes from me being a film major. Ultimately, that's what LVI is here for is to highlight the work of vidding artists throughout this fandom. And when I say vidding I don't just mean music videos but any type of vidding (refer to Enchirito's "Out of Context" videos) creativity. The more original the more thought the artist had to put into it and the more likely it'll get on the site.

I told the council members going into LVI 2.0 that I would know we had truely contributed to the Lost community when people who have had videos rejected turn around and send us something amazing. That's what I want to do with this site is show the vidding world. Not just the Lost vidding community but fan vidding as a whole what truely great video making is about.

And yes the competition has judging has grown much harder lately but I encourage everyone with a video that they believ in to send it in for judging. If it makes it to the site then it belongs there and if it doesn't post on the Rejectee Forum find out why it possible didn't make it then put those thoughts into your next video and I gurantee you that you'll put out a better video the next time. It's a given with art that you're going to face rejection but I believe (coming from someone who has had works rejected before) that rejection only makes your next piece that much better and your first victory more glorious and exciting.

That's why you may at times see some harsher comments from council members then regual board members because at this point they are probably sick and tired of reading the stuff I've typed in here. But believe me when I say that the videos that make it to the site made it there by standing on there own two feet and standing apart from the pack. But don't hesitate to give your honest comments on all the videos as long as you do it in a constructive helpful way.

And believe it or not this started off as a realy short quick post and quickly turned into a rant so I'm going to stop here...lol. But I hope that answers questions about commenting on videos on the forums.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
MarieWP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that new vidders need help when they ask for it (as well as lots of encouragement). Though if it was me, I would prefer feedback privately rather than on a public forum (but that's just me).

However, Jenn is a very experienced vidder with a lot of awards under her belt. So she probably has a lot more knowledge than many of us already. I'm assuming you're talking about newbie vidders. I just felt strongly about it so wanted to add my thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by MarieWP on Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a rethinking of my comments and can see how it could be thought as being mean or hurtful but that was absolutely not my intent. I have viewed over the years (let me check my hard drive) ok ... 1,400 fan based music vids and I am by far NOT an expert. I admire the enormous amount of material the council has to sift through daily and make decisions on.

My comments are meant to express what works for me to try to help. It makes me upset to think that others feel I am just posting to be personally mean.
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video has an extremely strange song but it works on many levels. I enjoyed it because of it's quirkiness.

I admire your choice to try something a little different and break out of the "popular" song bracket.

Last edited by Charmax on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charmax!!! Good to hear from you!!! How's life away from the Island? We miss you. Though Jake is doing an excellent job so far
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good Hobbes! Thanks for asking. Glad to hear you have taken Jake on. He is a great vidder.

MarieWP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoreLight, I didn't actually find your comments offensive. I guess this is the one that I was most concerned about, "but then again that was during the first sweep through all of these. I can safely say that the new ones we get through could kick ass and take names compared to many of these first videos..."
Probably not meant that way, but the comment comes off as dismissive of the vidder.

I do like constructive criticism myself from other vidders but I do it all privately and that works for me. What works for me doesn't mean it's the right way for anyone else.

Anyway, thanks for letting me express my concerns and for the opportunity to discuss it. Always a good thing to clear the air when something is bothering you.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"but then again that was during the first sweep through all of these. I can safely say that the new ones we get through could kick ass and take names compared to many of these first videos..."

I agree, I phrased that a little badly... but either way, I think since 2.0 has started, the overall quality of all the vids that come to us, including the ones that don't get through, has increased incredibly, probably more due to the increased ammount of footage more than anything, but nonetheless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: