Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll get back to you ASAP, Becca!
buffyfan145
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a really awesome idea!!! I really want to do this and I'm torn between what novel to do. I want to either do "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen, "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks, or some of the other romance novels I've read.

Sig by Ahmed
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to do "The Forgotten Door" by Alexander Key. It's an older book, and it has similarities but some differences, but the main character is named Little Jon so it could be a cool Locke vid, hehe.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
ah I'm sure I noticed someone ask earlier but now that I'm looking back I can't see it, so sorry if it has been asked and answered.

Am I allowed to use some text overlays with quotes from the book?

Becca, we'd prefer that you not use the text from the book (just as we asked for no trailers with title cards to "guide" the story) and just stick with audio and video to tell the story.
mrgrace
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited for this contest, what a brilliant idea! But I din't know if I enter, cause I have to preparer to my exams... Anyway, I will try to make a vid for this contest, I think I will take "Tristan and Isolda" as a story to tell in my vid. It's not exactly a book sotry, it's smth like myth, but it's ok if I choose it?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure about that, mrgrace, since we're asking specifically for a book, but we'll confer and get back to just as soon as we can! I certainly hope you'll have time to enter around your exams!
mrgrace
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
I'm not exactly sure about that, mrgrace, since we're asking specifically for a book, but we'll confer and get back to just as soon as we can! I certainly hope you'll have time to enter around your exams!

Ok, thank you in advance)))))))
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the story of Tristan and Isolde has been written into a book. Many myths are written down into book form.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrace, we've been talking this over for a while now and we feel that a myth is really not what this contest was supposed to be for, even though, yes, I'm sure it's been written down at some point but we're looking for a fictional novel (something that would be "Name of Book" by Author instead of one story in a book of myths). So hopefully you can find a book that would be better suited to this contest!

You're always welcome to do "Tristan and Isolde" separately as just a "regular" vid. I bet you'd make an awesome vid for it! But it's just not quite what we're looking for in this contest, which is something that's starting as a stand-alone book/novel.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about how literal the clips have to be to the story.
If I pick a story that has something in it that has never appeared on Lost can I subsitute it with something else?

For example ,one story I considered had a snake in it, but we have never seen a snake in Lost so can I substitute it with something else?
Would you accept things as more of an analogy or metaphor rather than an actual snake.If I choose that story could I have Ben act as the snake instead of an animal?

If there is no way to literally recreate an element of the real story with Lost can I just use that line as literally as is possible with the clips we have been given on Lost?

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Macaila! This was from the last page so you might not have seen it but it should answer your questions.

Aislynn wrote:
Since we're asking for you to pick a fictional book and re-tell the story (or part of the story) with our Losties, then we're asking ONLY for Lost footage, both audio and video. So that means no movie footage and no audio books, please. The exception is that we'll allow footage from other shows and movies IF it's something that one of the Lost actors is in.

So, in other words, using Josh Holloway's footage from Whisper would be acceptable if you're attempting to show the character from your chosen book on the phone. But just using footage from another movie/show with non-Lost actors in it isn't what we're looking for in this contest.

Also, keep in mind that this contest is asking you to re-tell the story or part of the story from your chosen book, so you'll want to stick to the actual story as closely as possible. However, obviously there will be times when there just aren't scenes or dialogue from Lost that matches a book exactly and in those cases you have creative license to simply do the best that you can with the Lost footage to get across as much of the story as you can.

So, for example, if your book has a scene in an airplane, don't change the setting to a boat because you have footage to use from an airplane. But if your book has a scene taking place in a specific city, just using some of the city footage from Lost will be fine, even if it's not the correct city. Or if there's a specific object that doesn't exist in the Lost footage, then you can fake it out with something that does.

Hopefully that covers everything. Basically just use Lost footage (or footage with a Lost actor in it), stick to your story as much as you can, and use creative license to fill in the gaps where you have to. Good luck and have fun!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that does help me out.

I have some questions about the audio in the video.
I am considering doing nursery rhymes,so if for example I wanted to do Mary Had A Little Lamb, can I use a children's album with that song on it and then use the appropriate clips to tell the story?

A few weeks ago Michael Emerson was on Jimmy Fallon and read aloud a nursery rhyme, would I be allowed to use Michael's reading of the rhyme in my video? I wasn't sure if that fell under the same catagory as using footage of Lost stars in movies and other television projects.

Macaila
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll chat about it and get back to you soon Macaila

xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 50/50 on me being in the contest. I've just had plenty of stuff going on and I haven't even started the video yet. It all depends on everything going on here at the house. Just got a dog, so training is in order.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Macaila; hackers!!

Anyway, we chatted and if you can find an instrumental song of the nursery rhyme you want to tell, then that's fine, but seeing as the songs lyrics tell the story; that's not allowed because the song is telling the story; not the vid. And the specific requirement in this comp is to tell a fictional story with our losties in a video.

As for Michael's creepy nursery rhyme, that's fine to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: