Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SawyerLittleton
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostwithoutdom wrote:
SawyerLittleton wrote:
I have a book and my only problem is: It takes place in the streets of new york...can i replace new york with the island? it will be just the background that will change ^^"

Sorry, I'm not sure it i understand your question correctly. Are you asking if you can change the island background to new york, or new york to the island? Your wording is a bit confusing.

I'm sorry thats probably because I'm german. My question was If it was okay that the book i picked takes place in new york BUT in the video it takes place on the island. :/ Otherwise it would be very hard to customize the video so it could fit the book. If its not okay i just choose another book. ^^

Hopefully i made myself clear this time. xD sorry for my english.
                                 
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SawyerLittleton wrote:
Lostwithoutdom wrote:
SawyerLittleton wrote:
I have a book and my only problem is: It takes place in the streets of new york...can i replace new york with the island? it will be just the background that will change ^^"

Sorry, I'm not sure it i understand your question correctly. Are you asking if you can change the island background to new york, or new york to the island? Your wording is a bit confusing.

I'm sorry thats probably because I'm german. My question was If it was okay that the book i picked takes place in new york BUT in the video it takes place on the island. :/ Otherwise it would be very hard to customize the video so it could fit the book. If its not okay i just choose another book. ^^

Hopefully i made myself clear this time. xD sorry for my english.

Thanks for explaining, I totally get what you're trying to say now. lol I'll run this by the CM's and get back to you.

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bombard you guys with more questions but, would it be accepted if I were to use narration or audio from an audio book?
Because I was just realizing how difficult it would be to use any audio at all, unless we have the creative right to change lines from a book.
I realize of course that we can use text and such to carry the story, but I was just checking to see if audio books would be accepted since most books have one unlike the disadvantages of a movie adaptation.

Does it have to be a literal adaptation or can you make a serious book into a humorous one?

Also, Is it allowed to do an abbreviated adapted version of the whole book, or just a scene? This will determine my choice of book. lol. Thanks.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll get back to you all as soon as we've had the chance to confer.

nightdancer342 wrote:
Also, Is it allowed to do an abbreviated adapted version of the whole book, or just a scene? This will determine my choice of book. lol. Thanks.

Here's from the rules in the first post:

Quote:
Also, you don't have to tell the whole story if you don't want to, telling just a part of it is alright too. For example, the final scene of Twilight Book 1 when Bella finds out it's not her mother that's in trouble. As long as you're re-telling a story or part of a story from a fictional book; you're in!

So yep, you can do just part of the book!
sweetevangeline
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay my idea got used!

*runs over to book case* hee

edit: i think im'ma do 'of Mice and Men' ... or 'Great Gatsby' I'm not sure yet, ahaa
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetevangeline, if you do "Great Gatsby" I will love you. That's such a great idea!

I've got an idea for myself...we'll see if I can pull it off...

One question - does it have to follow the events of the book exactly, or ca I change it a little? For example - in the book I'm thinking of doing, a character dies. Can I change the way she dies, or should I keep it the same as in the book?

art by me&tammy
Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
One question - does it have to follow the events of the book exactly, or ca I change it a little? For example - in the book I'm thinking of doing, a character dies. Can I change the way she dies, or should I keep it the same as in the book?

Hey Eryn, we think that you should try not changing the way he/she dies and show how he/she really dies. Although if he/she's death was really hard to portray because it was out of the ordinary, that is fine to change it a bit, because I know that can be awfully difficult! Anyways, we just want you to try to keep everything exactly how it is done in the book

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okies, thanks Kate! I think I can show the way she actually dies, it'll just be a bit harder to manip.... No problem!

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everybody. This should hopefully answer all of the questions still pending.

Since we're asking for you to pick a fictional book and re-tell the story (or part of the story) with our Losties, then we're asking ONLY for Lost footage, both audio and video. So that means no movie footage and no audio books, please. The exception is that we'll allow footage from other shows and movies IF it's something that one of the Lost actors is in.

So, in other words, using Josh Holloway's footage from Whisper would be acceptable if you're attempting to show the character from your chosen book on the phone. But just using footage from another movie/show with non-Lost actors in it isn't what we're looking for in this contest.

Also, keep in mind that this contest is asking you to re-tell the story or part of the story from your chosen book, so you'll want to stick to the actual story as closely as possible. However, obviously there will be times when there just aren't scenes or dialogue from Lost that matches a book exactly and in those cases you have creative license to simply do the best that you can with the Lost footage to get across as much of the story as you can.

So, for example, if your book has a scene in an airplane, don't change the setting to a boat because you have footage to use from an airplane. But if your book has a scene taking place in a specific city, just using some of the city footage from Lost will be fine, even if it's not the correct city. Or if there's a specific object that doesn't exist in the Lost footage, then you can fake it out with something that does.

Hopefully that covers everything. Basically just use Lost footage (or footage with a Lost actor in it), stick to your story as much as you can, and use creative license to fill in the gaps where you have to. Good luck and have fun!
SawyerLittleton
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to everybody. This should hopefully answer all of the questions still pending.

Since we're asking for you to pick a fictional book and re-tell the story (or part of the story) with our Losties, then we're asking ONLY for Lost footage, both audio and video. So that means no movie footage and no audio books, please. The exception is that we'll allow footage from other shows and movies IF it's something that one of the Lost actors is in.

So, in other words, using Josh Holloway's footage from Whisper would be acceptable if you're attempting to show the character from your chosen book on the phone. But just using footage from another movie/show with non-Lost actors in it isn't what we're looking for in this contest.

Also, keep in mind that this contest is asking you to re-tell the story or part of the story from your chosen book, so you'll want to stick to the actual story as closely as possible. However, obviously there will be times when there just aren't scenes or dialogue from Lost that matches a book exactly and in those cases you have creative license to simply do the best that you can with the Lost footage to get across as much of the story as you can.

So, for example, if your book has a scene in an airplane, don't change the setting to a boat because you have footage to use from an airplane. But if your book has a scene taking place in a specific city, just using some of the city footage from Lost will be fine, even if it's not the correct city. Or if there's a specific object that doesn't exist in the Lost footage, then you can fake it out with something that does.

Hopefully that covers everything. Basically just use Lost footage (or footage with a Lost actor in it), stick to your story as much as you can, and use creative license to fill in the gaps where you have to. Good luck and have fun!

YES,SIR!!

Edit: Last frigging question: Names like Nick can be replaced with Miles for example right? Or band names like oasis with drive shaft? If not. Ok. i dont wanna go to your nerves with questions anymore.
                                 
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SawyerLittleton wrote:
Names like Nick can be replaced with Miles for example right? Or band names like oasis with drive shaft?

Yep! We're just asking for you to get as close as you can to the book but if it's something that's just literally not available in the Lost footage, like somebody saying the correct name and you need to have a name be said, then you have artistic license to replace it with whatever suitable thing you can find in the Lost footage.
chloooeee
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got it but is it ok to change the snake in Harry Potter to a polar bear? Because I can't find a snake in Lost lol.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Ais from a few posts ago:

Aislynn wrote:
However, obviously there will be times when there just aren't scenes or dialogue from Lost that matches a book exactly and in those cases you have creative license to simply do the best that you can with the Lost footage to get across as much of the story as you can.

chloooeee
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okies thankyouu Just wanted to be sure
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah I'm sure I noticed someone ask earlier but now that I'm looking back I can't see it, so sorry if it has been asked and answered.

Am I allowed to use some text overlays with quotes from the book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: