Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will add though, most 70s songs were over 5 minutes with a good number of them going as far as ten minutes. is there no way to stretch the time limit on this months contest? i mean as long as its not hellaciously long like 9 or 10 minutes.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats true; but since there are more than enough songs that do fit the time limit we didn't see the need to stretch the time limit.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I was just about to answer your last post but I see you've removed it. So I'll wait and see if you're about to post something else in its stead.

Just wanted to make sure, since I wasn't clear about it last night, sorry, that we're not disqualifying your vid from the contest. But because it's violating one of the rules, we just wanted you to be aware that it'll be starting with a mark against it. That's nothing at all personal, it's what we do for the contests and that's why it's so important to always start by checking over all of the rules. The rules are what make a contest a challenge: do this thing under these conditions, you know?

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about it and give you the opportunity to re-edit so that you'd be in compliance with the rule. But it's definitely your choice to let it stand as it is and we'll respect your decision.

Hope you're able to figure out what's going on with your Vegas! Hopefully when you have the time where you can get in there and look at the settings, you'll be able to find whichever one it is that's driving the final size up so high! If you want, feel free to take a couple of screencaps of your render settings, etc. and we'll help you look things over as best we can and see if we can't help you find out where the culprit is!
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I deleted it pretty much because I had given up on arguing it. I may try re-editing it, but I've never been very good at chopping audio...especially a song like this. I'd have to chop a guitar solo....and I dunno if I can get it to sound good.

I did take a screen and what my post said earlier was off. It says it will be 23.66MB

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it's rendering at 720x480, which is one thing that's going to make your size a bit large but that still shouldn't have it at nearly 600MB...

I see it has a button for Advanced Render, which I'm hoping is like the old Custom button on my Vegas Movie Studio. You might have a look and see what sort of options it gives you. Feel free to screencap it again if you'd like because I'm really not sure what it's going to look like in there, lol!
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I went to advanced window and it brought up this.

I took two screenshots, one of the Save as Type options and the other of the Template options. I dunno what hardly any of those mean, so I dunno what may be the best type available.

Now I know that this new version has the ability to save strictly for YouTube and can also save to a Playstation Portable (which I have but don't use enough to save it on there), I haven't tried the YouTube option, as I don't know if it'll honestly be any good. YouTube's limit on file size is 1GB anyway, so it's possible that it may even save just a big, since it wouldn't surpass the limit.

What option for rendering may help the file size?

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this a page back; but maybe you didn't see it

littleton_pace wrote:
have you tried rendering under the Default WMV setting? Its gives HQ with pretty decent file size. Or trying rendering 512Kbps, lower HQ but also lower file size. They're under the Template menu when you go File, Render As

So leave the WMV option that's in your first screencap, then in the second screen cap, select Default, 512Kbps, or 256kpbs under the Template menu. The quality will get less good as you go down but I would suggest the 512 for best file size, its the one I render all the clips in that i get for people.

Last edited by littleton_pace on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I will give that a go, and yeah I did miss it. You must've posted right after me this morning, cause when I posted, it took me right to page 3 and I notice yours is on page 2, Thank you

Edit:

Alrighty, I just tried it, selected WMV with 512....didn't want to go down that much, and in the estimated file size it went way down to 3MB So I just rendered a loop region which I've done previously. Last time, a little over a minute was 252MB and with this try, 49 seconds of the vid is 3.11MB whoo hoo!!!

Thank you Aislynn and Kat for being patient and gracious with me and also thank you both for the technical part. I never had to really deal with it too much because with SV6 it pretty much did everything fine...so I never really had to troubleshoot too much. That 600MB video really threw me a curve and freaked me out....imagine waiting for that to upload to YouTube ....I was very impatient with that. That probably led to my frustration with the 5 minute rule. I literally spent all day waiting for it to render....and then upload to two sites, so after going through all that, I'll admit, I was a bit miffed. My apologies once again.

I'm working on re-editing my video, trying to chop audio, but I'm fairly horrible about it, and trying to piece together two different parts of a guitar solo isn't a piece of cake...I have it down to around 4:50 but it still sounds a bit choppy.

I don't think I'll need an extension, I have Saturday and Tuesday off of work, so I can really crack on it those two days, but if I do need one, I'll let you guys know as soon as possible.

Thank you again!
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the video be future character centric as long as it's a 70s song?
I mean, if I were to make a video about like, say, Locke in 2007, would that still be accepted as long as the song is from the 70s?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightdancer342 wrote:
Can the video be future character centric as long as it's a 70s song?
I mean, if I were to make a video about like, say, Locke in 2007, would that still be accepted as long as the song is from the 70s?

Yes, that's right! We're asking for a 70s song and a 70s feel to the vid but all Lost characters/ships/etc are allowed!
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool, Thanks! I have a song in mind and i've started the video for it.
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of an extension? Like, four more days or something? I'm just nervous I won't have enough time to finish my video. lol.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing How about until May 3rd? Then just let us know if you need more time to finish That goes for everyone else, too!

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to see the contest has been extended a few days.
I'm in the final stages of making my video but the extra couple of days will give me extra time to work with special video effects.

This contest has given me a chance to learn how to use some of the video effects that came with my sony vegas.

Macaila
SomethingElseEntirely
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Just uploaded my submission! Reply with quote

Hello!

I just uploaded my April Contest Submission (which is also the first submission to this site) and wanted to let you know that it looks like it is pending twice?

The first time I tried to submit it, it told me I had missed a required field..so I went back and verified I had everything..and submitted it again...then it worked but now it shows two videos as pending.

I hope that doesn't confuse you! I just wanted to let you know to take the latter of the two. Thanks!

-SEE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: