Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegas - dropped frames in preview window?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Vegas - dropped frames in preview window? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had trouble with dropped frames while previewing what you've done so far in the preview window? I went so far as to minimize the preview window to a quarter-sized window on draft, but it still did it. The render turns out just fine and everything, but it is making it awfully hard to work on a video since I have to render it if I want to see it, instead of being able to preview it real time.

I opened up one of my last projects and it is previewing just fine. I'm using different video from different sources this time, but it seems weird that the video I got from three different sources would be screwy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Julia
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time I'm nearing the finish of a vid, Vegas usually can only show me about 1 frame out of every 10 - 15 in the preview window, which usually means I'm having to listen to the music, drop markers where specific beats or moments are, then going back and placing the clips by site with the markers. Then I spot render to see if I'm close! (Sometimes it actually looks like a really bad slideshow because it shows me the first frame of each clip as a still until it reaches the next clip, which is also a still, and the next and so on! )

In other words, that's very common, unfortunately. Some of my footage does seem to cause more dropped frames in the preview but some of it may just be how complex the vid is, how many timelines, effects, transitions, etc. I have going and that sort of thing.

I noticed that I'm having more trouble with it the more vids I do but I think that may be because the more vids I do, the more complicated I make them, so the harder it is for Vegas to preview it.

Not the answer I'm sure you were hoping for, sorry!
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've always had this problem But I think its just b/c I use a completely sucky computer and its its memory thats the problem. lol Though it does get worse the more clips etc. you use. The only 'solution' I have, like you said, is to render little bits in not very high quality (so it doesn't take all day), bit its still very irritating and not really a solution

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have this trouble when it comes to transistions previewing so I have to render parts but it's best to do it in something like 512kb
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am so happy to hear that this is fairly common. For some reason the problem has to do with a clip in the second track, but I am not about to rip it out or find new sources, so I'm cool with spot rendering and stuff.

Thank you sooo much Ais, Charlee, and Emma!

So... I guess my next question would be, how do you spot render?

(((HUGS))) and many thanks!

~ Julia
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome!

Vegas makes it easy-peasy to spot render (I was rendering something in WMM the other day to get the sound from it and I spent, like, 2 minutes trying to remember how to spot render in WMM until it dawned on me... you can't! *is lovably dense sometimes* ).

All you have to do is left-click and drag to highlight the portion of the timeline that you want to spot render, (and once that section is lit up, you can drag the "bars" that define the start and finish if you need to render a bit larger than you highlighted or a bit less ) then go up to File -- Render As. When the dialog box pops up, make sure "render loop region" (or something equivalent to that in case they've changed the wording ) is checked, then render it like you would anything else. (You can go into Custom to make the size smaller if you don't want it to take so long. I usually choose 320x240 for a good test size if I don't care if I'm seeing it at full size for that particular test. )

I find this is one of Vegas' most powerful, practical abilities, because then you don't have to keep rendering the whole vid just to check the timing on a couple of seconds worth of vid!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*is lovably dense sometimes*

LOL, Ais! ♥ If I had a penny for everytime I did something like that, I'd be lovably loaded! Hehehe!

So, thank you sooo much for the spot render lesson... I'm tellin' ya, that is going to make such a huge difference!

I finally just moved everything around so I could mute the second track and still preview what I was doing, but it's still dropping frames so being able to spot render will help a lot!

Also, can I just say that I am in love with markers? This is the first time I've used them, and I am finding them to be incredibly handy. I love that you can make little notations on the timeline for later. I'm making so much more progress now that I know this!

Thanks again for your help! (((BIG HUGS)))

~ Julia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: