Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip Theft: A Serious Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explanation removed because it sucks

Last edited by MovieGuy on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here: http://lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=1100

Watch Mol's training vid. Lesson #5 is about clip theft.
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a really great explanation MG
-x- Angelic -x-
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still a little confussed as to what is theft and what isnt.

If a vidder see's a clip in someone else's video that they know they used in there's (Even if its the same 3 second snipit) how can they be sure that that person brought it up in WMM and didnt go out and find it form their own links like the first vidder did. How can people claim Clip theft when there are so many sites that only have bits of clips. Everyone will end up with the same clips anyway.

Obviously i understand getting it fomr the site (if the same clip) is totally diff form pinching ti from someone elses vid, but how can you tell with no water mark. Or cant you. Is Water mark the only way you can tell, or nay other personalized details.

Banner made by me!
liz_lost_fan
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...I get it...

but, whats to stop me from photoshopping that watermark out??

and again..... if Vider #1 didn;t MAKE the clip, they don't really have any claim on it...

I mean, Im not encouraging clip theft, I think its rude, but its not really something people should be punished for... because when it comes down to it... theres all coming from the same place...
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that explanation was quite good enough. Clip theft really can only be detected by watermark of if you steal entire sections of a vid that includes more than one clip. So the watermark expanation was good. But you're right, who cares if you steal a clip from a vid but only steal the footage as it was originially shown? That's not really what our "anti-clip theft" policy is here to protect. If there are effects/transitions/cuts that weren't in the show etc. etc. then it's taking someone else's hard work. And yeah, it's not like finding that exact clip and cutting it down didn't take time, but it's not the same as stealing a SEQUENCE of clips if you know what I'm saying.

I hope that explains it better.
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC's right. Clip theft is usually if you take a sequence of clips from someone else's vid and put it in your own. That's like the only way to explain it. Otherwise then we're all guilty and that's impossible when you're using the same content as everyone else. I've seen it before...it can be annoying.

I have yet to find a good program for watermarking that doesn't blow the file size way out of proportion (mind you that's free), except Sony Vegas(and that's not free), but I would strongly suggest that if you don't want your idea or structure stolen...watermark it some way. It's the only way to protect your ideas once you've finished.
crazymol4588
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job putting up the training video link, Colin. I think all new vidders need to see it.

Here's my explination on clip theft: No, the clips are not originally ours to being with. But each vidder took the time to browse through the different episodes to find just the right clips for the video. They also took the time to editing them correctly or even add effects. So for someone else to take a clip of an alreaedy edited video (even just a few seconds) is taking the original vidders hard work and claiming it as their own. It's not fair to the people who put hours into making their videos.

Hope that makes sense. And I wish I could add my name to that list, but sadly I have been a victom of clip theft.

As featured on the Entertainment Weekly Website:
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/03/get_lost_in_bro.html
sweetheart
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand people who steals clips when there are excellent sites to find clips at least when it comes to Jate & Skate clips.
liz_lost_fan
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I kinda get it now...thanks...
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming in way late here, but I still thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

To me, the difference between clip theft and using footage from a show like Lost is all about claiming the credit.

When you use the footage from a Lost episode, for example, you're not claiming that you wrote it, cast it and filmed it and it's yours. (I hope you're not, anyway... )

When a website puts up clips from a Lost ep, they're usually doing it to help provide material for people to make vids out of. It's considered polite to credit them so that, in return for their generosity, they get some advertising. That's how I found a lot of sites, from seeing them credited at the ends of vids who used their clips.

When you take clips from somebody else's vid, though, especially when it's a long section of clips that has effects, transitions or whatever applied to it, then you ARE taking somebody else's work and claiming credit for it. You're essentially saying that you did that particular piece of editing, though you really didn't.

I don't think people are really worried that somebody might take a piece out of their vid that is basically the unedited scene looking like it did when it was aired. You just don't want to see your carefully thought-out scenes and effects showing up under somebody else's vidder name.

That's the heart of clip theft to me, anyway...

Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When a website puts up clips from a Lost ep, they're usually doing it to help provide material for people to make vids out of. It's considered polite to credit them so that, in return for their generosity, they get some advertising. That's how I found a lot of sites, from seeing them credited at the ends of vids who used their clips.

Yep! That's why I download all the eps so I don't have to worry about putting credits at the end....though it would be funny if I credited all the pirates out there for making my downloads possible-LOL

You're right on the money Ais!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan4Lost wrote:
Yep! That's why I download all the eps so I don't have to worry about putting credits at the end....though it would be funny if I credited all the pirates out there for making my downloads possible-LOL

I can just see it...

End credit: "Thanks to Joe McNobody at IPirateTVShows.com for providing me with all the episodes..."

FBI Agents: "Quick, grab a pen and write that down!"

Joe McNobody: "Awww, crap! Stop giving me CREDIT, people!"

Fan4Lost wrote:
You're right on the money Ais!

Thanks!
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You girls crack me up.
budowa_cepa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: