Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vegas help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Sony Vegas help Reply with quote

I have a couple questions, and help with...

I'm sorry if these have been asked before... one, how do you fade into black and white, and then color again? I forget how to do it.

Two: How do I make it so the border around my video doesn't fade when I fade a clip, and have it not be part of an effect, like the white flash.

And another question... is there any way to make saving the video go faster? Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to save a 2-3 minute video.

One more thing... I've noticed some videos with cool looking watermarks, like some has a circle with the initials of the vidder in the circle, how do you do something like that in SV? I'd love to have a watermark that looked neat rather than just putting "Wildcat86" on it.

Thanks in advance!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sony Vegas help Reply with quote

Hey, Summer!

Wildcat wrote:
I'm sorry if these have been asked before... one, how do you fade into black and white, and then color again? I forget how to do it.

You start by applying the black and white effect to your clip. If you want it to go from 100% black and white to 100% color, then choose the 100% black and white to start with, just to make it easier. If you want it to go from color to b&w, no problem, just pick any of the percentages and apply them to your clip. Click on the first keyframe (the little diamond on the timeline in the effect) and adjust the slider to where you want the effect to be. So if you're starting with b&w, then the slider should be at 100% at the start, if you want it to be color at the start, then set it all the way down to 0%.

Then click on the end of the effect's timeline and another keyframe will be created. Set the slider to the opposite of what the first keyframe was (so if you started with 0%, set the end to 100% and vice versa). That will give you the effect of going from black and white to color in a clip or the other way around. The closer you move the keyframes together on the timeline, the faster the effect will seem to happen.

Wildcat wrote:
Two: How do I make it so the border around my video doesn't fade when I fade a clip, and have it not be part of an effect, like the white flash.

Since I've never actually used one of Vegas' borders, I'm not much help with that one, sorry! I'd say that if you can put the border on a layer higher than the video tracks, then the effect wouldn't affect it. (If you're creating your own border as a picture and applying it over your video, then I'm positive that will work because I've done that myself. I just haven't used Vegas's premade ones. )

Wildcat wrote:
And another question... is there any way to make saving the video go faster? Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to save a 2-3 minute video.

The amount of time it takes to render a vid usually depends on a few factors:

1. The length of the vid itself. (A 5 minute vid will take longer than a 2 minute one.)
2. How many video and audio tracks it has. (4 tracks of video and 4 tracks of audio will take longer than 1 track of each.)
3. How many effects and transitions it has.
4. The quality settings. (Selecting a custom render of 100% quality takes longer than te default of 90%.)
5. The overall pixel size of the vid. (640x480 will take longer than 320x240.)
6. How much RAM, hard drive space and processor speed your computer has and if you're running other programs at the same time. (The more "juice" your computer has, the faster it'll render and the less likely you'll notice it slowing down if you have other programs open at the same time, like if you're surfing the Internet while waiting for it to finish rendering.)

So other than cutting down the number of timelines, effects and such or lowering the quality settings (which I would only suggest doing if you're using 100% quality, other than that you don't want to go lower than the default, I'd say ), the main thing you can try doing is to close all unnecessary programs while the rendering is going on and seeing if that helps speed it up a bit.

Wildcat wrote:
One more thing... I've noticed some videos with cool looking watermarks, like some has a circle with the initials of the vidder in the circle, how do you do something like that in SV? I'd love to have a watermark that looked neat rather than just putting "Wildcat86" on it.

When you want to use a graphic for your watermark, about the easiest way to do it is to create it in a program like Photoshop or Paintshop, making the graphic roughly the size you're going to want it to be in your vid and putting it on a transparent background and saving it as a .PNG. (Or you can also put it on a blue, red or green background then use the chroma keyer to remove the background color once you've imported it into Vegas. ) Then just import that into your project and put it on the highest timeline so that none of the other video tracks will cover it and stretch it the length of your project. You can use the pan/crop tool to help resize and position it where you want it to be.

Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: