Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xvid problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Xvid problem Reply with quote

I posted this in the vidding comm on LJ but didn't get very good responses. So I figured I'd repost here and see if anyone can help me.

Quote:
I'm having a problem with Adobe Premiere 6.0 and avi files encoded using the Xvid codec.

I attempt to import the avi files into Premiere and it comes up saying it uses an unsupported compression format.

I've also attempted to convert the Xvid files into a more usable avi format using Stoik Video Converter but any time I try it crashes the whole program. Attempts to use Power Director to convert the files results in that program crashing as well.

I haven't been able to find any other versions of the files I need anywhere (FYI these are "Veronica Mars" episodes) and about half my episodes are in this stupid Xvid format! They play just fine but the main reason I got them in the first place was to vid them, but I can't seem to find a way to make them work

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Geekdom abounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinAvi is a program I recently acquired that seems to do a fairly decent conversion job.

I would recommend converting the files to maybe an MPEG format of some kind. Either MPEG2 or MP4. I've had luck working with those formats with Lost episodes in Premiere.

Good luck.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll download that program and try it. The problem I seem to be encountering is not just that I can't open the files in Premiere, but ANY conversion software I use crashes instantly as soon as I attempt to convert the files.

Not sure why, as they play fine, and the conversion software WILL let me open the files.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jake

Geekdom abounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: