Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer did weird thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: computer did weird thing Reply with quote

so this isnt technically about vidding but its weird and i need help! its almost like my laptop reset itself, but not really. i logged on to find only the basic items on the desktop and one of those customary Windows backgrounds. so after a few frantic breaths thinking i"d lost everything (videos; projects, vegas, all my stories/fics) i looked into the hardrive and saw that everything is still there; but then i open the internet and its like I did when i first got it "thank you for using Internet Explorer!" etc. All my favourites are gone and I had to reset all my settings.

Why the heck did this happen and how can i stop it? anyone know?

wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say run a virus scan. yikes, that only happens to me when i ship my computer to HP to get something fixed and the idiots there think reseting it will fix a loose screw. Im glad your stuff is still there. Id run a virus scan though, im not sure what else it could be.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks trey; ill do that. weird thing #2. it seems all my applications have restarted. opening vegas it was like the first time i'd used it; even tho all my old projects open fine. same with psp. but same with things like my photobucket account online; it only has 40 pics when two days ago it had over 400 :S and i also noticed that all my old files that are no longer on my desktop have relocated to a TEMP folder :S:S WTF?

Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat, it's not a virus. Virus' usually corrupt files or steal information. It just sounds like your system recovered from a failure of some kind. Mine did it a couple times before because the cache failed. I would take it to the computer store and have them run some diagnostics.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now its back to normal and all fixed. its like what happened didnt happen :S my old desktop is back and all my files are in the right place; not in a temp folder :S i was freaked cos i thought that it might erase everything i did yesterday and i did loads on my latest vid; but its all still there :S:S grr; its so irritating. why cant things just work and stay working? :S

Thank you both for your help! Fan4Lost i think my laptop is due for a look-see. altho it isnt even a year old so it shouldnt be buggering up :S but ill look into it

riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay same thing happened to me except it was done on purpose... i just made a very similar post because now my itunes is wiped clean and it sucks... ugh

Banner and Avi by me. I take requests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: