Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vidder-Blockers Not SO Anonymous?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that my problem (whoa, there's a loaded way to start a post -- I could go in SO many different directions with that! ) is that I have too many ideas and I'm worried that most of them are a little too "fresh."

I mean, I don't know how far off the beaten path people really want to see a "Lost" vid go. I happen to like vid manipulation (which everybody's probably noticed by now! ) but can it be taken too far? Is it "okay" to pull a lot of manipulations and force the clips into storylines and situations that didn't actually happen?

Hm, not sure that I'm explaining that very well. Don't want to go into a horrific 5 page dissertation on the subject (since when does THAT stop me??? ). I just don't know how well my most recent idea will really fly, I suppose. The things I think it has against it:

1) it doesn't put Jack in a very good light and one thing I've always tried not to do is annoy the Jaters if I can help it!

2) it puts Sawyer in a better light by the very way it puts Jack in the bad light (again, see warning about annoying the Jaters )

3) by following the song lyrics, it's going to end up being a slight triangle, very pro-Skate vid that absolutely never happened

The one thing it has for it:

1) I really want to do it

However, I'm really bad at making myself do something when I think that very people I'm going to show it to are going to hate it! Yes, that makes me wishy-washy! But at least I'm honest about it. I'm in touch with my Inner Wishy-Washiness!

I don't know. I'm taking a bit of a break since I just got done with the June contest vid. When I find out what July's contest is going to be, I'll probably try to come up with something for it. At some point I've got to try and repair the computer so that I can log onto Lost-Media and can download from Rapidshare again. And in between all of that I'd just really like to make a vid for my own enjoyment. Otherwise my contest vids are going to outnumber the "plain" ones I've done! Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...

*sigh*

Oy.

~Aislynn

PS - I really need to find a good "oy" smiley. Something throwing its hands in the air while rolling its eyes or something...
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislyn- dont do or not do videos to please/piss off anyone else. I did that Lockum one whihc I knew would piss people off, but I wanted to do it, so its done. Thats how I feel. Others can make hero-worship ones, I can make ones that could potentially spell "villian". Hey to each their own.

SOOOO relieved to see others going through the same thing. Then seeing contests and stuff makes me sad. I have made around 30 videos of various fandoms and not once have I ever won an award. Not talking about this site, but other (LOTR, CLEARS THROAT) that I know are a lot worse than mine and have loads of awards. Maybe I dont solicit- if thats how its done. It makes me sad and feel like Vanilla Ice, really really old school or something.

ANYWAY, Im going to try to do a few little things at a time, but my hands feel really heavy and I dont feel like doing any. I went through this for about 6 months before, then I started may=king LOST ones and its broken. But I have so many ideas lined up, so maybe its motivation. My Boone memorial video was motivating- I REALLY wnated to do it. Maybe its like that for us-

do we now just feel obligated to produce a video? Im going to accept the request I received- maybe their vigor will rub off on me. But God Bless You mods- it would kill me to see such fresh ideas everyday. Jealousy rearing its ugly head again-

anyway thanks. Especially seeing those comments from people that I "know". Good lukc yall!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me after I logged off last night just how wimpy my post probably sounded! Ugh! I really need to grow a spine one of these days, huh?

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Rocksiren! Most appreciated, I can tell you. Vidding can be so solitary sometimes, at least during the process itself. And have you ever tried to talk to a non-vidder when you need a bit of reassuring? Don't know about y'all but that usually gets me a confused look and something like "Well, if you don't like making these...things...then don't do it."

Wish it was that easy!

Rocksiren wrote:
Maybe I dont solicit- if thats how its done. It makes me sad and feel like Vanilla Ice, really really old school or something.

This probably looks weird for me to comment on, considering that I'm parading a large I WON, I WON banner in my sig. I have absolutely no idea how I won. All I did was enter. But, because I thought I had no chance at all of winning anything, I made that vid just as fun for me personally as I could. Didn't worry at all what anybody was going to think about it. Then I could barely believe it was chosen.

And I, for one, AM really, really old school when it comes to vidding, for the sheer reason that I'm limited on whatever clips I can find and on the fact that WMM 1 has extremely limited effects. For me to try and compensate for that, it usually makes my vids look like they've just flown in from Mars or something!

From all the contests I've seen now from different fandoms and such, you can tell that winning is so subjective. You have to just basically either do something SO marvelous that they CAN'T overlook it (and this doesn't necessarily hold true because consider how kick-butt somebody like lostzilla's vids are and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I don't think he's won an LVI contest yet! ). Or, I think more commonly, you just have to happen to hit the judges' personal preference. Which basically sucks but is just human nature. (Trying to sell a story to an editor uses this exact same principle, so I know of what I speak! )

Anyway, that's not very helpful, I suppose. (Probably about as great as those rejection letters I've gotten that say "I loved your story but I'm not going to buy it!" Huh?!? ) Just wanted to basically say I do understand the feeling. I'm seriously old friends with Vidder's Block's ugly cousin Writer's Block. I absolutely loathe it. There are times when I desperately want to write something and I sit down and just can't get the words to come to me. Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it!

Nothing worse than that feeling of wanting to create something and inspiration or whatever it is just won't come through for you. I really do sympathize. Hope that you get a break on it soon!

~Aislynn

PS - And my goal is to one day answer people in a short post, rather than an epic mini-series... Sorry to always be so chatty!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aislyn- dont do or not do videos to please/piss off anyone else. I did that Lockum one whihc I knew would piss people off, but I wanted to do it, so its done. Thats how I feel. Others can make hero-worship ones, I can make ones that could potentially spell "villian". Hey to each their own.

totally agree with you there, Rocksiren! The important part is that the viewer reacts to the video LOL not whether that may be a good reaction. I loved that "Lockum" vid, even though I may be a big fan of Locke but then again, I was a big fan of Gollum, too! Poor liddle guy I guess that type of character always catches me.... the villain you feel sorry for.
Now! I'm off to go make my video of "anythign you can do, I can do better" with Boone! (actually, I'm not. But you get the picture! )
Quote:

SOOOO relieved to see others going through the same thing. Then seeing contests and stuff makes me sad. I have made around 30 videos of various fandoms and not once have I ever won an award. Not talking about this site, but other (LOTR, CLEARS THROAT) that I know are a lot worse than mine and have loads of awards. Maybe I dont solicit- if thats how its done. It makes me sad and feel like Vanilla Ice, really really old school or something.

I'm really, really glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Whenever I leave LVI, I see some of the videos out there with like 5-6 "awards" and I watch the video and say "What the hell?! If that thing had been sent to LVI, it wouldn't have even gotten through the front door! (3.0, that is lol)". I don't know how it works back there for those sites... maybe they have different things they look for than we do (though I hate to think that story, quality, beat use, originality, etc are stupid things to look for ). But any site can call itself an award site and I expect quite often the people with the far-from-good videos are the ones eager enough to run all over the 'net submitting their videos to every site that can type out "video awards". Even sites such as "Video Elite" really can't guarentee they see everything, because they only really check sites of people who have their own site to host the videos, already have a lot of prestige, and which they happen to FIND. In other words, it's a banner-creator for Charmax not that she doesn't deserve it... but still!.
I can't blame these sites for often getting results that are questionable, though, as it's really a tough thing deciding these things... I've always found it pretty easy to decide whether a video is good enough to vote for a council pick seal or not. But I fear the day every time it's the end of the month, and it's time to judge contest entries. Deciding whether a video is good enough is one thing, but deciding HOW good it is on a measurable scale, that's another... this is especially true when there are a mix of dramatic vids and humors in the same mix, and I have to somehow decide on my vote...
Quote:
Or, I think more commonly, you just have to happen to hit the judges' personal preference. Which basically sucks but is just human nature. (Trying to sell a story to an editor uses this exact same principle, so I know of what I speak

I can probably say that's very true...For instance: a video without any attention to the beat will fear my wrath, while some of the others may not find that a problem at all. When it comes to contest time, this can be the difference between life or death of a video.
Quote:

From all the contests I've seen now from different fandoms and such, you can tell that winning is so subjective. You have to just basically either do something SO marvelous that they CAN'T overlook it (and this doesn't necessarily hold true because consider how kick-butt somebody like lostzilla's vids are and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I don't think he's won an LVI contest yet!

I have a theory on that one! I think when we all jump into the big voting booth, the goal a submitter is trying to accomplish is more important than the actual vidder's voting skills... in other words, the idea of the video is more important than anything else about it. So even though there are many people who think highly of old 'zilla, maybe his ideas for the contest aren't good enough...?
(OR, maybe en group we're all a little reluctant to vote for the pretty one because we expect so much from them )
Either way, I never look forward to the contest votes. Not an easy thing to do...
And that's why I also feel uncomfortable whenever the notion of LVI awards is brought up... If the judging was to be placed on the council, it would mean one hell of a tough decision. And if it was in the general public's hands, then I highly doubt it would be fair either... just look at a few of the more-popular C/C vids to kinda get what I mean...

Quote:

do we now just feel obligated to produce a video? Im going to accept the request I received- maybe their vigor will rub off on me. But God Bless You mods- it would kill me to see such fresh ideas everyday. Jealousy rearing its ugly head again-

LOL well on the contrary! I like the fresh ideas... keep me on my toes Also, as a plus, I can see videos where a certain thing worked well and use it in one of my own though I don't remember conciously doign that.... hmmm...
Either way, watching the vids gives me ideas on which to improve them/a vid of my own. That is, until I find a really good vid, then I'm stuck going "wow. wow. wow. DAMN! That took my idea!"

And I'd just like to add that your vids have always been incredibly easy to pass, Rocksiren, which is about one of the highest compliments I can give. They're so high above the standard that there's just no question about it. I really like to think of each of these council pick seals as an award on it's own... we're really tough going through these, and you'll probably notice there aren't all that many vids that get them. Each of them has something special in it that people need to see, and that's how we treat them. If we were ever goign to narrow down that list to an evan smaller number, it would be pretty tough to do. Yet another reason LVI doesn't have a general-purpose awards section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Rocksiren! Most appreciated, I can tell you. Vidding can be so solitary sometimes, at least during the process itself. And have you ever tried to talk to a non-vidder when you need a bit of reassuring? Don't know about y'all but that usually gets me a confused look and something like "Well, if you don't like making these...things...then don't do it." >>

I actually started telling my sis in relief that I got so many responses and others who are going through my block- all I got was a "uh-huh" look, and then she went into some rant about eharmony. So there you go. My best friends, although not vidders (but thankfully, LOST viewers) are loyally more competitive with my videos than I am. Like when they found out Uruviel was doing Welcome to the Jungle, it pissed them off royally- even though I didnt care too much.

<<And I, for one, AM really, really old school when it comes to vidding, for the sheer reason that I'm limited on whatever clips I can find and on the fact that WMM 1 has extremely limited effects. For me to try and compensate for that, it usually makes my vids look like they've just flown in from Mars or something! >>

The first video I ever made (while I was on study abroad, on my laptop) was made on WMM2. Dont feel bad, I had a comp crash and was forced to put in win2000, which doesnt support either WMM. I see people who have amazing videos and how they basically say they are on ADOBE- no offense to anyon, but adobe video is like $700, so I just stick with my under $100 editor. I wish it had more transitions, I do. More effects, the ability to make video reverse would be awesome.

<<Anyway, that's not very helpful, I suppose. (Probably about as great as those rejection letters I've gotten that say "I loved your story but I'm not going to buy it!" Huh?!? >>

Yeah I went through writers block for about 5 years, now I can write really well, while I have vidder block. I actually have a pile of job-rejection letters which I plan (along with various name tags and employee handbooks/shirts) that Im going to turn into a collage.

<<Nothing worse than that feeling of wanting to create something and inspiration or whatever it is just won't come through for you. I really do sympathize. Hope that you get a break on it soon!

~Aislynn
>>

Thanks Ais! Dont worry about the length, I hate when people write one word and youre like "okay....that didnt help me at all!"

<<totally agree with you there, Rocksiren! The important part is that the viewer reacts to the video LOL not whether that may be a good reaction. I loved that "Lockum" vid, even though I may be a big fan of Locke but then again, I was a big fan of Gollum, too! Poor liddle guy I guess that type of character always catches me.... the villain you feel sorry for.
Now! I'm off to go make my video of "anythign you can do, I can do better" with Boone! (actually, I'm not. But you get the picture! )
Quote: >>

Thanks! And I would watch that with vigor, probably shamefully laugh at it...

<<I'm really, really glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Whenever I leave LVI, I see some of the videos out there with like 5-6 "awards" and I watch the video and say "What the hell?! >>

Well if I ever get my site off the ground (I get absolutely NO help with all those movies etc I have to go through) Ill make my own little self-righteous awards. (No offense- in my own shame, I never enter any contests, so maybe its my fault). But I have read that some awards "please dont enter"-kind- like "dont call us well call you" awards.

<<LOL well on the contrary! I like the fresh ideas... keep me on my toes Also, as a plus, I can see videos where a certain thing worked well and use it in one of my own though I don't remember conciously doign that.... hmmm...
Either way, watching the vids gives me ideas on which to improve them/a vid of my own. That is, until I find a really good vid, then I'm stuck going "wow. wow. wow. DAMN! That took my idea!" >>

Good points! Never thought of them! I understand that "they took my idea!" weirdness. Like, a video, which shall go unspecified, which took my theme for a video AND the song I was going to use for it after I posted the announcement on the LOST FORUM. That made me go "HEY!".

<<And I'd just like to add that your vids have always been incredibly easy to pass, Rocksiren, which is about one of the highest compliments I can give. They're so high above the standard that there's just no question about it. I really like to think of each of these council pick seals as an award on it's own... we're really tough going through these, and you'll probably notice there aren't all that many vids that get them. Each of them has something special in it that people need to see, and that's how we treat them. If we were ever goign to narrow down that list to an evan smaller number, it would be pretty tough to do. Yet another reason LVI doesn't have a general-purpose awards section. >>

Thanks a million, really! Some of them (ny own vids I mean) I just look at and go "this is SOO bad!" But thank you and I do like the little "council pick" things.
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that was like reading news article, but it's all good. I would say something too rocksiren but Warren said it all. Damn Warren!

Just keep vidding that's all I can say and LVI rocks!

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS " I hate m current video and I can't see it anymore, I want it to be finished and so awesome because for all this stpid work is has to be a council's pick" a blockade?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry, did I miss something? Is there a bunch of work that needs to be done for the council pick?
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im sorry, did I miss something? Is there a bunch of work that needs to be done for the council pick?

*coughsarcasmcough*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: