Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! One of my fave Malfoy parts in the book was when he

Spoiler:

was in the bathroom crying and all upset, cuz it showed his vulnerable side, and who he was, despite all that had been drilled into him and how he had acted in the past. He was still a kid.

And omg, yes, that "other" part was so great, but sad! I was crying, yet laughing at myself because I was crying. LOL I can't wait to see it in theaters, cuz I just know I'll lose it.

Last edited by SassyLostie2 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Yes yes!!! that's the exact part I can't wait to see!!! i hope they dont cut it out you never know with the HP movies!

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd better not cut it out! It was my fave Draco scene in the book! But alas, you're right. HP movies do tend to cut good scenes out in the end. *le sigh* It's pretty important to his character though, so hopefully it'll be in there.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah; i hope so!! but then again, i thought that Rita Skeeter being an animagus in GoF was important; and they cut that out

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was really weird. But Rita Skeeter isn't as constant of a character as Draco, and even though her story was big-ish in the book, Draco's story and what it leads to *tear* is more important. I'm staying positive.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just loved the new trailer!!
And one reason for that is exactly that we see a lot of Malfoy!! I don't think they'll cut that scene cause we have already seen him looking sad at the mirror and having a fight with Harry in the bathroom, so I guess we'll get that scene (also my favorite draco scene!)!!
I'm really psyched for this movie now!!

_bel_
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I am getting so freaking excited for this movie!

I hope they don't cut the Remus/Tonks bit at the end...I really like that part...

art by me&tammy
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhh! I'm so excited for this film, I might be able to see this a few days before it's released which is gonna be so exciting
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am so effing psyched for this!! that is so cool charlee!!!

NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get to seeing this yet? I went to the midnight showing on Tuesday which was a lot of fun. God, there were so many people there...

Still though, I couldn't help feeling disappointed by this movie. I know that it's just an adaption, and they've taken a lot of creative liberties with the story, but at the same time, I really think they're going about the movies the wrong way.

Here's what annoyed me:
Spoiler:

1. They focused too much on the angsty teen crap. That was more comic relief in the book than anything. It wasn't the MAIN STORYLINE.

2. Voldemort's past was merely an afterthought. I understand that you can't fit everything from the book into a 2 hour movie, but this was pretty much VITAL to the ENTIRE STORY OF THE SERIES. Not to mention it's vital information for the last book. The whole point of this was for Harry to learn about Voldemort, learn how he worked and why he chose the items he did to make horcruxes out of. The fact that they left most of this out, that they did away with this in favor of the teen angsty romance crap just boggles my mind.

3. If I remember correctly, the name of the movie is Half Blood Prince. So why was there nothing about them trying to find out who this was? They had maybe one scene where they discussed it, but after that, it didn't come up again until Snape told Harry he was the HBP at the end. That was one of the big mysteries in the book that was so awesome and it was also a pretty big plot point - so much so the book is named for it. So why, WHY when the TITLE of the movie is about the Half-Blood Prince did they just leave it by the wayside?

4. Speaking of mysteries, it really annoyed me that they kept showing what Malfoy was up to. That was another big mystery in the book, and Harry's paranoia concerning it. We, as readers, had no idea what Malfoy was doing, and that was one of the great things about the book. So instead of using this to build suspense, they just show it to us? Who's idea was that?? Seriously!!?

5. The attack on the Burrow....how was that even necessary? It had a decent emotional impact, which is pretty much the sole reason they added it, but seriously.....they could have taken that 10 minutes and focused on something, oh I don't know, IMPORTANT TO THE STORY! They could have easily left this scene out and put another one of Voldemort's flashbacks in.....

Yes, I love the books and maybe I am a purist, but I don't really feel like you need to change things a lot in order to have a good movie. And if you do change things, it's still possible to make a good movie - Goblet of Fire is the perfect example of this. GOF was vastly different from the book, but the way it was written, the scenes all flowed together and everything made sense. Even the stuff they changed, it still managed to work.

With OOTP & HBP, it's like they just picked the scenes they wanted from the book, put their spin on them (or just made up new stuff) and then strung them together until the movie was 2 hours. And especially in HBP, they just focused on all the wrong things and left the major, heavier things by the wayside. It just made me really sad.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the movie - I had a good time watching and wow, I really think it's probably one of the funniest movies yet, but yeah.....it was just hard not to feel disappointed by everything they changed/left out.

I will say though, that the scenes they did include and didn't change ended up being totally awesome -
Spoiler:

The Sectumsempra scene was amazing and the scene on the Astronomy tower was pretty much exactly how I imagined it. Also the scene when Harry makes Dumbledore drink the potion - I think all these scenes were great.

And that girl who played Lavender Brown pretty much stole the show. She was phenomenal!!

So yeah, that's my take on it. Anyone else feel similarly??
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I'm not planning on seeing it for another couple weeks... but sounds just as disappointing as I expected... OOTP was HORRIBLE... and sounds like HBP is no better..
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard very bad reviews of this harry potter, true?

-- by maj --
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not planning on seeing it til next week because the cinemas are heaving atm, but quite a few friends I know have seen it but really enjoyed it lol.
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it opening night too, and i have to say i was really pleased with it! I went in expecting to be disappointed like when i saw OOTP but i actually thought they did a great job with this one!
I think it's best to go see these movies with an open mind, because it's really unrealistic to expect them to fit every single scene from the books into the movies, something is bound to get cut. But compared to the 5th movie they really did a great job incorporating a lot of the important book scenes as well as a bunch of funny new ones that made the movie really enjoyable.
Spoiler:

I do agree though that a bit more about the Prince would have been nice and also finding out more of Voldemort's past and the Horcrux’s in this movie would have made it easier on the audience since they are huge part of the 7th. But other then that i think they did a really great job!

I didn't really remember specifics from the book going into the movie (its been a year or so since i've read the 6th one), so maybe that's why i didn't really have a problem with it. But i think when you go to see it expecting them to follow the book word for word then you're only setting yourself up to be disappointed. This movie was 100 times better then the last and IMO stuck to book pretty much the whole time with a few exceptions. I def recommend seeing it. I had a great time watching it!

My one little bit of criticism is that
Spoiler:

they didn’t have the Order come to fight the Death Eaters at Hogwarts. That was such a great part in the book and I think it would have made the end of the movie a bit more suspenseful. Also I was a little upset that they left out Bill and Fleur. Especially when I saw Greyback in the beginning, I was excited to see the fight but there was no fight which kind of made Greybacks character pretty worthless because they never really addressed who he was so he was just kind of there. And for anyone who didn’t read the books they would have totally disregarded him.

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostwithoutdom wrote:
My one little bit of criticism is that
Spoiler:

they didn’t have the Order come to fight the Death Eaters at Hogwarts. That was such a great part in the book and I think it would have made the end of the movie a bit more suspenseful. Also I was a little upset that they left out Bill and Fleur. Especially when I saw Greyback in the beginning, I was excited to see the fight but there was no fight which kind of made Greybacks character pretty worthless because they never really addressed who he was so he was just kind of there. And for anyone who didn’t read the books they would have totally disregarded him.

Spoiler:

I very much agree. Their reasoning behind this though was that since there's the big battle at the school in the last book, having a big battle in this movie would have been redundant. I can see their reasoning, and surprisingly, I actually sort of liked the 'quiet' spin on it. But that was such an exciting part in the books, and it would have been really good for suspense.

See, I wasn't super disappointed by OOTP for some reason. I think the reason is because they kept the angsty kid stuff as a subplot (which it is) and I think they did a good job capturing how angry Harry was, which was a huge part of that book.

I know they can't fit everything into the movie, and when I go see the movies, I don't expect everything to be in there. That's not what I'm saying - what I'm saying is that in this movie, I think they spent the majority of their time focusing on a subplot that's not even truly integral to the story, and I think because of that, the movie didn't have a good fluidity to it.

Even if this movie wasn't based off a book, I still think I'd have issues with it. Like I said, it feels like they just decided which scenes to include and threw them together with no thoughts to exposition or transitions, etc, so the movie feels really disjointed.

In all honesty, I enjoyed the movie very much. I didn't let these criticisms bother me when I was watching, and truthfully, I think the movie did a decent job of juxtaposing the humorous & emotional scenes.

I guess the best of way of saying it is thus - as a movie, it was pretty decent and fun. As an adaptation of a book, it was terrible....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: