Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspect Ratio, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got got the latest version of windows media player? Older versions may not recognise some codecs. Also it won't play properly until it is fully downloaded.

IcyHeart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I downloaded the episode completely. I updated my Windows Media Player 9 to a Windows Media Player 10, but I get the same error. "Error reading codec". Should I just forget about it or is there something I missed? *bangs head on keyboard* It's times like these I hate computers

Thanks for bearing with me, though
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend downloading the DivX codec and the player. And you may want to look into a mp43 codec as well. If you search through yahoo or google you may be able to find package codecs which cover a larger spectrum. I have so many codecs I can't tell you what will work best for you. It's just a matter of setting your computer up with as many codecs as you can so you don't run into problems.

Hope that helped some.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a video and Barbi pointed out that the aspect ratio was off a little in a couple of the clips.

I was able to download that program, and your tutorial was helpful, but when I was finished, the picture was much smaller so then I had the opposite problem I had to begin with.

I must not be doing it right.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for DR. DIVX. Much easier to understand application >.< at least for me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcyHeart wrote:
I'm sure I downloaded the episode completely. I updated my Windows Media Player 9 to a Windows Media Player 10, but I get the same error. "Error reading codec". Should I just forget about it or is there something I missed? *bangs head on keyboard* It's times like these I hate computers

Thanks for bearing with me, though

Only 2 days ago I installed a new codec pack (K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.16 [20.0 Mb]) which should solve your problem too. You will be able to watch RM, WMV, Quicktime, AVI and MPEG using the one media player. It has all the codecs you could possibly need. (Thanks Astarte). I would suggest you make a system restore point before you install just in case you have any problems.

Download here > http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm_

Quote:
I was working on a video and Barbi pointed out that the aspect ratio was off a little in a couple of the clips.

I was able to download that program, and your tutorial was helpful, but when I was finished, the picture was much smaller so then I had the opposite problem I had to begin with.

I must not be doing it right.

I'm really sorry you wasn't able to get TMPGenc working for you - I think it's a great little program but it does take some trial and error. Hopefully DR DIVX will be more what your looking for. Good luck

Starchaser
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is probably a stupid question... But is there any way to fix this problem in an already finished vid? Or do I have to go through every single ep, change those files and then redo the vid...?
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there might be a way to kinda draw in the widescreen bars on a vid (I've seen it done before in a Buffy vid) but I don't have the first clue as to how to do it and what programs allow you to do it

Sorry I can't be of more help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starchaser
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

's okay! Thanks for trying anyway, appreciate it!

Anyone else have a clue...?
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I struggled with this for a long time. In the way beginning of my vidding, I used to think it was fine to have like 60MB vids! LOL! Now I go to whatever editing program I use, make the NICEST (biggest), version I can find and then put it through the encoder Dr. DIVX (www.divx.com). I find it is a LOT better than WINDOWS encoder, which I have my own problems with (grr!). But DR. DIVX I find where WE, in its encoding, will stretch the image so it has a "pixelated" look, which reminds you that youre watching a video, and that bugs me. But DR. DIVX at least seems to make the picture the tiniest bit blurry, in place of pixelation (the large color squares if you are unaware). So it just looks like youre watching TV. Pretty good if I do say so. Its only like $10.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOBBES- I really want to see your training video so I know what to avoid putting in mine.
Starchaser
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I struggled with this for a long time. In the way beginning of my vidding, I used to think it was fine to have like 60MB vids! LOL! Now I go to whatever editing program I use, make the NICEST (biggest), version I can find and then put it through the encoder Dr. DIVX (www.divx.com). I find it is a LOT better than WINDOWS encoder, which I have my own problems with (grr!). But DR. DIVX I find where WE, in its encoding, will stretch the image so it has a "pixelated" look, which reminds you that youre watching a video, and that bugs me. But DR. DIVX at least seems to make the picture the tiniest bit blurry, in place of pixelation (the large color squares if you are unaware). So it just looks like youre watching TV. Pretty good if I do say so. Its only like $10.
Huh? LOL Was this in response to my question? If not, please, ignore me... But if it was, thanks, but now I'm even more confused... LOL

Anyway, my question - cuz maybe I was a little blurry before - was whether or not it's possible to make the aspect ratio the same for all clips in a finished vid - where say, one clip is 352 x 240, the next 320 x 240, the next 320 x 180, the next something else... etc. etc. My eps are a horrible mix of different file formats, sizes and ratios, ie reeeally bad vidding material... I'm in the process of getting better quality eps, but I was wondering if there's any way to fix the vids I've already made without having to redo them all from scratch...

As for Dr.DivX, I've tried it, but the pixelation made my vids virtually unwatchable - even at a pretty large file size... I'm sure it works better if you have good quality eps. to begin with, though... Edit Studio and WMM work better... for me at least.

Love TMPGEnc, though! And while I'm on a roll here, I might as well ask this too... I used to be able to import WMV files into TMPGEnc, but then my 'puter crashed a while back - and since then I haven't been able to import WMV files - the prog doesn't recognize them... I've checked several forums for answers to this and the usual ones are: "Change the file extension to .ASF" Tried that - didn't work! "Change the priority for Direct Show." Tried that - didn't work! So, please... if anyone can tell me what's missing/wrong when this happens, I'd be more than grateful!!
Okay, now I'll shut up.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, with Dr. Divx, you can chop off all the offending sides that don't fit the aspect ratio. It would mean cutting off anything outside of that, but at least it would fix it. I agree, your videos really really do need this fix of aspect ratio. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HOBBES- I really want to see your training video so I know what to avoid putting in mine.

Check out this thread: http://lostvideo.net/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=125
Starchaser
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
well, with Dr. Divx, you can chop off all the offending sides that don't fit the aspect ratio. It would mean cutting off anything outside of that, but at least it would fix it. I agree, your videos really really do need this fix of aspect ratio. lol

I tried that and I ended up chopping of people's heads, LOL. Anyway, I found a way to fix it in Edit Studio - and it was so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it before... Just magnified the pieces that had bars on them till the bars disappeared, and it doesn't look half bad... Compared to the way it was it looks amazing! LOL But the question is - was that your only complaint about my vids? Just wondering if there's any point in re-submitting them...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: