Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspect Ratio, etc.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Aspect Ratio, etc. Reply with quote

First thing: aspect Ratio. I never knew about it until I heard it here on this forum, but apparently it's the ratio of width to height in a clip. It doesn't always look great when there's a change from widescreen to fullscreen, and vice-versa. We don't get too many of these lately, but it's still a possible issue. Here's a link to a good, free, program that changes the type of video file to whichever the other one is so it looks better: http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
Charmax tells me that it's very useful...

Charmax, would you like to help me out on this one? I have no idea how to explain it exactly (you see guys, I've never used the tool , thus my bad opening to "Simple and Clean" >.<)

Last edited by Hobbes on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did write a tutorial with added screencaps for this program I need to make some amendments and then I will post it here.

Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wrote a basic tutorial for anyone that needs help with this program. It is in html. To view please click here > http://bronze-ambition.net/TMPGEncBasicTutorial.html

Any questions?

IcyHeart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a handful of different vidding questions I'd like to ask. Any help or suggestions at all would be very appreciated. Here:

-Is there any way to convert RealPlayer clips to WMV clips, or use RealPlayer clips in Windows Movie Maker?

-Does anyone know a good place where I could get some WMV LOST clips of Shannon? I have TONS of Kate ones, a few Jack ones, and fewer Charlie ones, but I can't seem to find any clips of the others in WMV format. I haven't done much searching, but I was just wondering if there were any sites in particular that you'd recommend. (For anybody, actually, not just Shannon clips, though that's what I'm looking for right now lol).

-How long did it take to make your first video? (And you DIDN'T know how to use the Windows Movie Maker at the time, so it was a learning experience). *sigh* Mine's been taking AAAAAGES...

Hm, I had two more, but I can't remember them at the moment . Well, I'll post those when I remember them...

Thanks,
IcyHeart

(P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread )
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you with your first question

I have bought a program called RM converter, unfortuantly I don't know a free alternative but you might want to give it a look anyway. You could possibly download a free trial. The website is here > www.boilsoft.com

IcyHeart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I'm a little lost . Which one of the downloads from that list would be able to convert RealPlayer clips to Windows Media Clips? (All the terms they used... AVI, MPEG, ASF... confusing! Lol. Sorry for my newbiness to this)

Thanks,
IcyHeart
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMconverter doesn't actually convert to wmv but it does convert to AVI and MPEG. You can import both of these formats into windows movie maker.

Perhaps I should also mention that I would be very cautious of clips in the RM format as they could well have come from someone elses music video. It's quite unusual to have whole episodes in RM... If it has come from someone elses music video you could find yourself confronted by some angry vidders. I don't want to put you off but I thought I had best mention as it's a big no no in any vidding fandom.

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using clips I would just hunt down the whole episodes. This way you can pick out your own clips that fit your vid better and haven't already been seen 10000 times in other vids. And like Charmax said NEVER use other vidder's vids as a source of clips.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yeah, I kinda figured that . That's like cheating lol. Thanks for the help. I did consider finding clips for entire episodes, but my lazy self didn't look into it. I'll do that right now. It's not like I'm at the point of no return for my video lol. Anyway, let's see if I can find those episodes...

Thanks,
IcyHeart

EDIT:
Okay, I've run a dozen different searches, and have only found two places that provide downloadable episodes. But both sites don't offer it for free. Is there a site out there with FREE episode downloads, or do you have to pay for it all?
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download all Lost episodes here > http://www.tvshows.nu/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=415

You can download via BitTorrent for very high quality or you can download chapters via zip that are lesser quality.

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the bittorrent and leave it on overnight It'll save you a LOT of time (it's normal for these downloads to take a day at a time even on fast connections)
And if you can, don't take the whole pack of videos, download them all at once, one by one. I don't know why but I think it's faster .....maybe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IcyHeart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, but, (and I hate to be a pain...) when I click on that link to download bittorrent, it said it could not read the file. Do you think it's maybe just something wrong with my computer or the file itself?

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks,
IcyHeart
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually installed the BitTorrent programe? You need to install that first before you can download the BitTorrent files. If you don't have BiTtorrent installed you might want to try the zips which are near the bottom of the page.

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bittorrent.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I wanted to download Hearts and Minds, and it was working great so far, but now all I have is the audio-- the video won't show up in Media Player. Oi. Maybe I'll try downloading a different episode tomorrow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: