Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writer's Strike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Writer's Strike Reply with quote

So, I am in Los Angeles for a semester and the big buzz in showbiz is about a potential writer's strike.

The Writer's Guild of America (WGA) are in negotiations with the networks and studios about renewing writers' contracts. The contracts expire on Oct. 31st. The WGA are trying to get the writers money from DVD sales (amongst other things) and the studio's won't budge. It's at a big headlock and the writers are threatening to strike right when it could hit the studios the most.
If the contracts are not settled the writers are very possibly going to start the strike on November 1st.

THIS IS A HUGE DEAL. It's going to effect Los Angles in a HUGE WAY. It will practically shut down the city. Not only is this horrible for Hollywood, but think of the TELEVISION SHOWS and MOVIES!

Networks are scrambling to produce as much as they can before the strike. Think about LOST?! Not only are writers not allowed to work for the show under the strike, but writers who also produce the show (Damon and Carlton!) are not allowed to produce either!!!

So where does that put LOST? Well it's not good, but it's not terrible either.

We have a short season (16 ep)
We don't start until Feb
We have at least 10 eps under out belt.

Ummm soo yeah. I'm kind of worried. Just thought eveyone should know.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how did I not hear about this? I'm training to be an actress and live not far from LA. Well, at least Lost is somewhat safe for now. We have a few eps filmed and it's not starting right away, but still! How horrible! And all the other shows too. So everyone is forced to go on strike? That's terrible. I certainly hope everything works out, because I love my tv and movies. xD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a very large discussion/debate over at the Fuselage if anyones intrested. Greg Nations has even stopped in to say whats going on. http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=84807 theres the link if anyone wants it.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, trey. Wow, that just really sucks. It's bad enough we had to wait from May to Feb. for more Lost, but now it may even be LONGER??? How can they do this?? lol But I get it, writers have certain rights, but still... I love my Lost.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SassyLostie2 wrote:
Thanks, trey. Wow, that just really sucks. It's bad enough we had to wait from May to Feb. for more Lost, but now it may even be LONGER??? How can they do this?? lol But I get it, writers have certain rights, but still... I love my Lost.

well there are already 7 episodes in the can as of now. Or at least 7 have been written. Thats almost half the season right there, so we may get some Lost if the strike happens.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know...still. But really, I'm not too worried. i just hope everything works out.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-channel15oct15,0,3210455.story?coll=la-home-entertainment

Quote:
In case you've ignored the sounds of rising panic rippling over Hollywood lately: The networks and studios have been negotiating a new contract with the union representing TV and film writers, and . . . let's just say it's not going well.

In any case, the Writers Guild of America isn't finding much common ground with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers,...

If members give the OK, the guild could call a strike as early as Nov. 1.

That is why in the last couple of weeks, the TV business -- networks, studios, writers, agents, managers and everyone else -- has been thrown into a major tizzy. What seemed hypothetical just a month ago has suddenly become uncomfortably real.

Studios are cramming to shoot as many episodes of existing series as they can before any work stoppage. Crews on NBC's "Heroes" and ABC's "Ugly Betty" have been hustling like crazy, with multiple units racing to shoot two episodes simultaneously last week. "The studio wants to get as much stuff shot as we can by Nov. 1, but we can only write the show as fast as we can write it," Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, executive producers of "Lost," wrote me in an e-mail. (Cuse sits on the guild's 17-member negotiating committee.)

Network officials aren't talking for the record about their strike plans. But almost everyone agrees that once the supply of new scripted episodes gets burned off -- say, by mid-January -- network prime time schedules would quickly devolve to the two "Rs": reality and repeats. Reality shows generally don't use guild talent, so existing series like "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars" would be strike-proof.

[Actually, Dancing With the Stars writers are a part of a guild and therefore are subject to strike. There was a retraction printed.]

There might suddenly be more prime time sports too. And after disappearing almost entirely from network schedules, newsmagazines might come roaring back in style.

Perhaps most important, if the strike lasted for longer than a few weeks, the pilot season -- when networks would start the process of producing new dramas and comedies for the 2008-09 season -- would be thrown into disarray. The networks are already hedging bets by giving some early pilot orders.

But the past may not be a reliable guide this time around. The TV business bears little resemblance to its old self of 1988.

No one was using iPods or DVDs or DVRs. "There's much more competition for the audience's attention than there was 20 years ago," said Tim Spengler of New York ad firm Initiative.

Simply put, this is a bad time to be testing the loyalty of prime time TV viewers. That may be why everyone's talking about the strike with a kind of resigned dread. Like World War I, it's a conflict no one wants but everyone seems powerless to stop.

Some shows could be seriously damaged. Last year, ABC gave "Lost" a three-month hiatus in the middle of the season -- and the layoff was promptly blamed for the show's subsequent ratings woes. What would a strike do to the serialized thriller's fan base?

Obviously, anything that threatens scripted series isn't good for TV writers. The networks and studios know this, and that's why their reps are eagerly feeding reporters stats about how many network time slots have been lost to reality shows over the last few seasons. Message: Stop moaning about your compensation, you laptop-toting, latte-sipping ingrates, or you'll all end up writing intros for Ryan Seacrest.

If that sounds like overkill, well, the networks are running scared. Executives would likely have to renegotiate ad rates and offer extensive make-goods if their prime time lineups are hit by a strike, Spengler says.

Can't they avert this? Well, sure. It's possible that this will turn into a repeat of 2001, when the entire town braced for a writers' strike that never came. But even that near miss had serious consequences: The stockpiling meant to protect studios and networks from a strike left them instead with a glut of product, leaving many workers unemployed well into 2002.

"To me, a strike means a loss," said Mazin, summing up the ambivalence of many. "On the other hand, some things are worth striking over, even if it means shooting yourself in the foot."
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT SUCKS! I just heard that the writer's guild went on strike. I heard it today at my drama class (where we all love our tv) and everyone was upset. I hope it all works out.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bugger. I heard Brit writers who work in American have been told that if they work during the strike they'll never work in the US again. Seriously?! Huh!

That really does suck. I mean, a writer should never rush to cram in as much filming as possible. These people are only human and their audience (even if they don't realise it) would probably appreciate their shows written out carefully to prevent mistakes and sloppy writing. That sounds terrible.

Although it probably won't affect awesome scriptwriters and directors like Edgar Wright (and Simon Pegg-writer/actor) who writes and films in England but alot of us are affected hugely.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how it is with all strikes. People who work despite a strike, or cross the picket line, if you will, are considered scabs and aren't looked on very well. They're undermining the cause. Even if they aren't a member of the WGA.

The producer over at Grey's Anatomy isn't even going to EDIT any more episodes during the strike because of it. She's going full hilt. I'm sure many others are doing this same.

My thing is, this is a worthy cause. They deserve their cut. But the ramifications of a prolonged strike could potentially be devastating to the television canvas as we know it. So, as the article says, it may very well be like shooting yourself in the foot.

I just hope that it gets resolved quickly, and the writers get what they deserve in the end. (But hurry up about it!)

More about scabs from wikipedia:
Quote:
"The term "scab" is a highly derogatory and "fighting word" most frequently used to refer to people who continue to work when trade unionists go on strike action. This is also known as crossing the picket line and can result in their being shunned or assaulted. "

And specifically in reference to any UK non-WGA writers who would work during the strike:
Quote:
"People hired to replace striking workers are often derogatively termed scabs by those in favour of the strike. The terms strike-breaker, blackleg, and scab labour are also used. Trade unionists also use the epithet "scab" to refer to workers who are willing to accept terms that union workers have rejected and interfere with the strike action. "

I was checking out some photos today of the writers actually in the picket line. Oh, man, it's getting real!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard about this the other day, i don't think it affects lost as much as it will for other tv shows and movies. Lost thankfully has most the episodes written.

I hope this gets resolved quickly too *fingers crossed*
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Office show runners aren't showing up for work.

I heard that 24 announced there will BE NO 24 this season. That Desperate Housewives has already shut down production. That a big chunk of the Grey's Anatomy cast isn't showing up for work and this production is about to be or already has been shut down. (Even though I also read that the Producer has refused to edit any more eps ANYWAY.) And I heard a bunch of other stuff. OH! That they're mulling over not showing ANY Lost this season at all and saving the 16 (or 8 that they have shot) for next season. Um, most comedies will run out much more quickly than any shows that are still in production (which it seems like that number is dwindling) because they actually do rewrites WHILE they are filming, so it's impossible to shoot them. I think Tina Fey isn't going to work on 30 Rock. Um... let's see. I had one more thing but I've forgotten.

GRIM. Guys. It just looks grim.

Crossposting to CE's Writer's Strike thread.
Joon
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charmed_charlie wrote:
i heard about this the other day, i don't think it affects lost as much as it will for other tv shows and movies. Lost thankfully has most the episodes written.

No, sadly only 8 episodes are written and if the strike continues till next year that's all we'll get...

Here's a quote from Carlton Cuse:
"Will feel like buying a Harry Potter book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months."
(link)

Icon by ack attack
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to get ridiculous. It may be because I don't know much about their situation but I know the outcome isn't good. They're lucky to have jobs and I just think all this isn't fair. It just puts many people out of jobs and causes stress among them and their audiences.

I want to be a scriptwriter when I'm older and I think I'll just stick to England (Edgar Wright can do it!), If I'm lucky enough to be one that is.

This is just causing problems for everybody.
IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*CK!!!

It's hit us!
Strike Splits Lost Season

oh boo.

But I have to say I am totally on the writers side with this. It's completely unfair that the writers are not being paid for their work. Especially LOST writers because I'm sure studios make a lot of money by using LOST and new media to get advertisers. I mean "the LOST experience?"! itunes downloads! come on!

I really hope this gets worked out soon though. At least we'll get something with those 8 episode. Apparently a entire season of 24 is postponed until further notice.

Youtube- Damon Lindeloff comments on the strike from the picket line

Youube- Carlton Cuse and other show creators speak out

Last edited by IamSoLostRightNow on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: