Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livejournal Help Please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Livejournal Help Please Reply with quote

I have been tearing my hair out. I left livejournal ages ago and haven't done anything on it since (seriously, my first entry was a YEAR ago). All I did was write the first few chapters of my Unexpected Spark series and that was it because I think my page is flat out boring. What I want to know is how can you get it to look great, with the backgrounds and randomized icons. I have looked it up on google but haven't found any good codes. I want to make it personalized and attractive without paying anything. How can I do that? Is there a simple way to add the background and colours? Can anyone help me?

I'm so jealous of other people's livejournals...

Seriously, I hate mine so much I'm not even gonna link it here yet
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, well, I can't tell ya how I got mine all pretteh because I'm a paid account and I make my friend Angie do all my snazzy layouts. I think maybe your best bet might be to buddy up with someone who has a free account and a cool layout so that maybe they can walk you through it or else hook you up with someone who knows how. Otherwise, there are layout communities you can check out. I know they're there, even if I'm not part of them...just search "layouts" for an interest and see what pops up?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a free account so I can try to help you if you want.

Do you want to put up your own fanart as a layout or do you want to use something that livejournal already has (believe me, it does have some very pretty themes)? The first is a bit more complicated and I can't quite explain it; the second is very easy.

Let me know and I'll try to walk you throw it!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maria!!! I'd love for Jemma to be on LJ!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to help if I can, as well! A couple of very generous people gave me a Paid Account ( *points up at Jen* ) but the layout that I have up is the same one I had when I was on the free Plus account.

Like Maria said, there are a lot of really pretty premade themes available. I'm using a combination of a premade theme with a header that I made myself (it's actually the big version of the Sawyer City banner in my sig ), so you can kinda get the best of both worlds, in my opinion. It's still tricky to get the right codes to get a header up, but it can be done with a little work and help from some "in the know" friends!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
A couple of very generous people gave me a Paid Account ( *points up at Jen* )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Thanks everyone! You're all very nice to reply here and help me out!!

cylune wrote:
I'd love for Jemma to be on LJ!!

Aw, thanks! I'll look you up afterwards and add you as a friend. But I've put off adding anyone right now because my page is practiclly cringey.

Okay, I'll try and explain what I want for my LJ. (Be aware I'm still a total n00b at LJ because, well, I just am) What I HAVE done is downloaded a code from a site. I already entered it but it went wrong. It wasn't exactly what I wanted anyway. Some people have some really nice layouts and backgrounds with the side bar on the left. On mine (which is now grey ) it only has the bloggy entries and that's it. I'll search for a layout in a community. Ok I searched but just became confused Alot of the communities want me to join. I would if I had to. I just want to know what would be a good community to join.

PsychoCynic, I wouldn't at all mind using a premade one if you don't mean the ones you select such as 'Supernova' or 'Melon'. I wasn't keen on those. I would like a header like Aislynn mentioned she had. I believe that involves coding (lol) which I'm fine with as long as I know what to enter.

Aislynn, where did you get your premade layout?

I'm sorry I'm not making myself very clear. I'd love to see all your livejournals for examples I don't know what else to add. Hope you understand what I'm saying.
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never figured out how to get headers but my layout was from a lj community and is quite good (for me anyway).
If anybody knows any tips on that
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get headers haven't you got to enter a code in the...er...thing..? The Overrides? I've scanned the communites but I don't know which is best. And tbh I suck at searching for things I want in search engines
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
PsychoCynic, I wouldn't at all mind using a premade one if you don't mean the ones you select such as 'Supernova' or 'Melon'. I wasn't keen on those. I would like a header like Aislynn mentioned she had. I believe that involves coding (lol) which I'm fine with as long as I know what to enter.

Aislynn, where did you get your premade layout?

I'm sorry I'm not making myself very clear. I'd love to see all your livejournals for examples I don't know what else to add. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Mine is probably one of those ones you mentioned that you didn't want but if you'd like to see what mine looks like just for an example, it's linked in the www button at the bottom of my post.

Anyway, mine is the Flexible Squares layout, Black & White & Red All Over for the theme color. You find all of that info under Home - Journal - Customize Journal - Look and Feel, by the way! To get a header, you do use the Custom Options (right next to Look and Feel ) - Custom CSS.

However, and here's the real trick about headers and LJ, there's a different code for every type of layout! I have the override header code for Flexible Squares, for example, but it won't work on any other type of layout. If you end up choosing Flexible Squares for a layout and would like the override code, just let me know and I'll be glad to send it to you!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, ok. Well as long as I can use the premade one and make it look good-It's just some of them didn't look good on my free account. I don't know if you have a paid account they'd me better ones there

Yeah, on mine I can't find Flexible Squares. Where abouts is it? Default themes? Becuase I can't find it in there. I'd be happy with entering the colours in myself but I find that difficult. I was wondering whether there was somewhere on a site or something that could tell you what colours would look good and tell you to enter a certain colour in certain places (if that makes sense?)

That sucks, LJ likes to cause problems for noobs like me How did you know what code to enter for the header?

Also, you have a nice bar on the right of your LJ with a calander and tags. How did you get that?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Ohh, ok. Well as long as I can use the premade one and make it look good-It's just some of them didn't look good on my free account. I don't know if you have a paid account they'd me better ones there

Mine is still set up exactly the same as when I was on the free account, though I know they allow for more specialize code things with the Paid stuff. But you have to practically be a programmer to figure these things out! I have NO idea why they haven't made this whole thing a little more user-friendly than it is!

Jemmz wrote:
Yeah, on mine I can't find Flexible Squares. Where abouts is it? Default themes? Becuase I can't find it in there. I'd be happy with entering the colours in myself but I find that difficult. I was wondering whether there was somewhere on a site or something that could tell you what colours would look good and tell you to enter a certain colour in certain places (if that makes sense?)

Are you able to find the "Look and Feel" part? (Home - Journal - Customize Journal - Look and Feel) Under Look and Feel, the first section says Layout and Language and there's a pulldown menu that has a bunch of options under it. Next to that pulldown menu is a link that says "Samples." You can click on a style name in the pulldown menu, then click "Samples" and it'll show you what that style looks like. Underneath Layout and Language, it says Themes. From there, you can pick the different colors that are available with whatever style you have picked out in the Layout and Language section above it. There's also a "Samples" button there so you can see what everything looks like before you apply it to your LJ by clicking Save Changes down at the bottom.

Jemmz wrote:
That sucks, LJ likes to cause problems for noobs like me How did you know what code to enter for the header?

Also, you have a nice bar on the right of your LJ with a calander and tags. How did you get that?

It really does totally suck that it's this hard to figure out how to navigate around all of this stuff! It took me FOREVER to figure it out, so you're certainly not alone!

To get the code for the header, I actually did a bunch of searches for things like "LiveJournal header codes" and "Flexible Squares" (since I'd decided that was the style I was going to go with). I never did find just one place where it gave me the info I needed plain and simple, but I finally had to sort of put several different things together until I figured out what would work! It really is a lot of work! (That's one reason why I haven't changed from Flexible Squares... I'd have to go find the header codes for whatever new style I picked! But you CAN easily change your header as well as the color with Flexible Squares just by changing the Theme color and by replacing the link to your current header with a link to the new one in the CSS codes. I just like mine too much to change it, lol!

The calendar was automatically put there when I picked Flexible Squares. To get the tag box, you go into Custom Options - Sidebar and scroll down to where one of the questions asks, "Show tags in sidebar?" and you choose yes in the pulldown menu. I see that the option for showing the calendar is included in that same list of questions.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Look And Feel and the layouts section. And I've had a look at the pulldown menu but there is no 'Samples' selection next to it x( You're being very clear but I just can't find it.

I just discovered I'm on a Plus account. Basic doesn't seem much different (apart from you can do alot less with it) So I'm sticking with plus.

This is really confusing because in my custon options it only has "Show Community Userpics" option and the overrides box for codes and that's it. I'm sure I'm in the right place but none of the things your saying is there. How strange is that? I can however get a sidebar by choosing the Punquin Elegent w/ sidebar option. I suppose that's alright. I could try and do my own colours. My next question how do you get your icon in your LJ entries AND get them to be randomized? Or is that a paid option

I'll sort the header out soon. And the colours. My organisation for this is a little all over the place atm
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I've sorted it out now. I had it on S1 instead of S2 (Or whichever way around it is). I still have heaps of questions I will ask when I can get my head round the simpler stuff. All the things you have mentioned are there now. Thanks.

I'll be back... lol
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Whoops, I've sorted it out now. I had it on S1 instead of S2 (Or whichever way around it is). I still have heaps of questions I will ask when I can get my head round the simpler stuff. All the things you have mentioned are there now. Thanks.

D'oh, so sorry, I forgot about the S1/S2 stuff! Anyway, I'm so glad you figured that out! I was beginning to think I was totally nuts and was seeing things that weren't really there!

Jemmz wrote:
My next question how do you get your icon in your LJ entries AND get them to be randomized? Or is that a paid option

Profile - Manage userpics will get you to where you can upload icons into your LJ. Here's where one of the main differences between Basic and Plus accounts can be seen: you get 6 userpics with Basic and 15 with Plus (which also gives you ads in your LJ but I always felt like that was worth it to get the extra userpics ). Anyway, once you upload your icons into your userpics, you can set one of them as your default which will show up on your LJ, though you can choose any of your icons to be on your individual posts and on any comments you make anywhere else.

About the randomized thing though... I...uh...am not sure what that means. Uh, got an example?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: