Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Emotional Support Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the emotional support, filmchick.

But I do appreciate your points. And I agree. The question is, what are we supposed to do about it? (individuals who don't have control over the government or anything, really).....

sig by IslandofMystery
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Study and go into the sciences, because they need informed people (I would have, if I had been smart enough for it at the time. I slacked my way through college, though, much to my own disdain nowadays). Campaign. Call your local so-and-so and then call your state so-and-so and work your way up. The people most likely to listen to you are the people that most need your vote. Calling the president or your US senator isn't going to do a damn thing if the people in Smalltown USA aren't going to listen to you.

Promote the cause, but be smart about it and don't waste your resources. One phonecall to GWB's 1-800 line is a drop in the bucket, but Local Representative Jane Smith might be willing to hear your concerns. Find out who the people are on the Science Committees for your state and the US Senate, and play to them as well. Be specific about your cause - 'stopping global warming' isn't going to achieve things, but 'Reducing/eliminating the pesticides that are used along Interstate 80 in Jones County' or 'Promoting NASA funding and cooperation with Jones University' might just get something done.

As someone who's volunteered/usually ran a chapter of Amnesty International for the past... man, a decade now (!), since I started at 16, and who used to work for pay at MassPIRG (Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group, which campaigns for environmental causes, gay rights, and other various human-interest causes) - that's the best advice I can give.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate you're really good at this kind of advice I wouldn't know what to advise on that. Global warming is a huge issue. Yesterday I saw an advert on it and we can help by turning our power off when it's not being used. Problem is you get used to having all this power and you can't take it back just like that. I worry about Global Warming and I don't know when it'll be. Yeah, some people say it'll be YEARS AND YEARS away some people argue it's something that will actually pass! Anyway, I'm unknown to all the details.
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the one thing I do consistently that's environmentally efficient is unplug my computer after I turn in off every night, or when I go on vacation. It's not a pain at all, really, just one extra part of shutting down. And starting up. I could probably try to convince my family to do the same...

Anyway, I was thinking more about Mike Gravel's comments: do you think he may have been intentionally inflaming things to help his campaign, by getting attention? Has anyone formally researched the effects of methane and the ice caps, who has anything to say about this?

sig by IslandofMystery
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Kate you're really good at this kind of advice I wouldn't know what to advise on that. Global warming is a huge issue. Yesterday I saw an advert on it and we can help by turning our power off when it's not being used. Problem is you get used to having all this power and you can't take it back just like that. I worry about Global Warming and I don't know when it'll be. Yeah, some people say it'll be YEARS AND YEARS away some people argue it's something that will actually pass! Anyway, I'm unknown to all the details.

I know some people who don't believe in global warming. I don't know the actual details and on why they don't, but they are very firm on the belief that it's not true. Hmm...I'm not really sure where I stand, i don't know too much about it.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor do I Sassy. Sometimes I prefer not to think about it. Things like this bother me even if we haven't got to worry about it until ages. To me it's serious now though.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been replaced. For those of you who don't know, I was cast as the lead in an Independent film...well, not anymore.

I don't mind too much, the whole situation was kinda stressful on me anyway. And it helps that they said I was naturally talented, and it mostly because of their own incompetence. They didn't realize (for some strange reason) in the auditions that I had braces, and that I looked young for my age. Two things that they could have thought about the day they met me, but for some reason it didn't occur to them until they'd already given me the part and strung me along for a few weeks. *shrug*

Personally, it's easier this way, cuz I know driving me all over has been kinda stressful for my parents (sadly, I don't have my own car). That was something else. They didn't like that I had to check with my parents before going places with people I barely know (mostly guys) and staying out late.

*sarcasm* OH the nerve of my parents, being a bit leery of letting their 18 year old daughter go to random places, sometimes kinda far away, all hours of the night, with a bunch of guys she barely knows who are a few years older than her and are not professional yet. (it was an independent student film that got picked to be turned into a movie or something) *sarcasm*

And also, I didn't want to swear like crazy on camera (and I mean SWEAR people). This was something I told them up front, and they said was fine, we could compromise, then they changed their minds.

But hey, things like this happen. Hollywood is full of rejection and disappointment, and it's not my fault if the directors don't think things through and aren't reliable (the director was two hours late for rehearsal last Saturday). So, this opens up my schedule a whole lot, and now I'll have more time for school work and maybe looking around for extra parts, but for now, I'm happy to have my schedule open again. So, that kinda sucks, and I was hurt, yeah...but I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. Just thought I'd let everyone know, cuz the news kinda got around.

Last edited by SassyLostie2 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry Sassy! *hugs* That does suck But at least, as you said, you can concentrate on other important stuff. Those people do not recognise true talent! Pig headed directors

Still, there could be something heaps better just around the corner and you have plenty of time to start a great career! =)
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Nah, they said I was very naturally talented (which they're kinda obligated to say So yeah...) but I didn't have the right 'look'. Ok, that's fine, but maybe you SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE YOU CAST ME!

*sighs*

I feel better now. But seriously, isn't that something you normally do at an audition? You cast someone because they're talented and have the right look for the part?

Basically, they wrote this looong email, filled with justifications (it seemed to me) on why they did this etc...and it all just seemed a little dumb to me. This could have been avoided weeks ago. *shrug* Oh well. Like I said before, it's really not a HUGE deal to me, I just thoguht they went about this entire thing the wrong way and me and my fam could have avoided some stress had they not cast me/told me this in the first place.

Thanks for th support, Jem!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im really really sorry to hear that Sassy. That stuff can really suck. Though i think it was nice of them to write an email, most of the time they just say your fired, but yeah if it was for the braces and oung look, they should of thought of that before hand. Well i hope your next brake goes well. *hugs*
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You thought it was nice they wrote an email? lol It was full of justifications and trying not to make themselves look bad - Then, they hid behind the words 'Hollywood is cruel'.

Newsflash, JP. You aren't Hollywood. You're a student just like me who happened to get a break!

...Personally, I thought it was a cop out. I mean, they didn't tell me to my face, or even call. They emailed. Like breaking up with someone in a text message. xD But it's ok. They weren't acting professional and I was. *shrug* Sorry for ranting. I honestly don't mind too much, but it just made me mad that he didn't just say it, or even apologize, he had to justify and make excuses throughout the entire thing.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SassyLostie2 wrote:
You thought it was nice they wrote an email? lol It was full of justifications and trying not to make themselves look bad - Then, they hid behind the words 'Hollywood is cruel'.

Newsflash, JP. You aren't Hollywood. You're a student just like me who happened to get a break!

...Personally, I thought it was a cop out. I mean, they didn't tell me to my face, or even call. They emailed. Like breaking up with someone in a text message. xD But it's ok. They weren't acting professional and I was. *shrug* Sorry for ranting. I honestly don't mind too much, but it just made me mad that he didn't just say it, or even apologize, he had to justify and make excuses throughout the entire thing.

Oh, i thought they had called you and wrote an e-mail. Thats pretty bad edacet (spelling?) to not even talk to you in person. Im sorry sassy and i wasnt trying to stick up for them, you have every right to be upset. You want to be in my movie??? (if i seriously do one you got the part!)
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. I know that you weren't sticking up for them. I was just still kinda pissed that they acted this way. I wouldn't be mad at you. *hug* And yeah. If you ever do a movie...I'm in. hehe

Thanks for the support guys. Like I said, I don't mind so much that I'm not in the movie, even tho it does suck...mostly I was just upset about the way they handled it, cuz they gave me this crazy schedule that I was going to have to work with, and then when I was stressed out and planning my life around this, they replace me. And don't take responsibility for it!

Oh well...seriously, someone else can tell about their problems now. xD
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Sassy, I'm so sorry to hear that! It's TOTALLY their loss! *sticks her tongue out at them* And how unprofessional of them! *now sticks out her tongue and blows raspberries at them* And not very mature, either! *sticks out her tongue, blows raspberries AND thumbs her nose at them*

I'd, uh, better stop there...
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support and raspberry blowing, Ais. I appreciate it. And all this from people who don't know what I look like or even if I'm a talented actress. Love you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: