Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September Contest Information
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: September Contest Information Reply with quote

SEPTEMBER 2007
Contest: LVI goes to the movies!
Deadline: October 8th
-- extended

The Details

The idea behind this month's contest is to showcase instrumental film scores and 'story-telling' ability. Many of us rely on lyrics when we choose which clips to add to our video but one of the most important things is the overall story of the video in terms of a beginning, a middle AND an end. You can have as many 'spot on' lyrics as you want but it might not make sense in the wider aspect of the flow of of the video. We make it easier for you by allowing you to portray a scene or story from one of your favourite movies using only Lost clips from the show. You will also be able to use the movie's audio clips and the titles (credits and opening titles.) No video footage is allowed to be used from the movie you have chosen.

We would advise you not to adopt the trailer format as you are only limited to instrumental scores and many trailers feature original songs. It is also easy to forget to focus on the storytelling aspect of this contest and just make a cool but random trailer.

So go shoot your movie!

The Rules

Specific Contest Rules:

• -Vidders can choose to have music or not for their video but if they use music it must be from the film score of the film they are portraying and be purely instrumental, no lyrics.
• -No video footage allowed from the movie apart from opening titles, credits and audio clips.
• -The more creative, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
• -Running time should be no longer than 5 minutes. We suggest the 3 - 5 minute range.
• -When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "September 2007 contest submission" exactly in your vid's Description.

General Contest Rules:

• -Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page
• -All regular submissions Rules apply.
• -Only one entry per vidder
• -Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
• -Please do not use Megaupload, Rapidshare or Yousendit to host your files.
• -Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available for download at least until the end of the month. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
• -Have fun!
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot!!! this sounds so cool!! so different from normal vids I have a qusetion, does it have to be based on a scene from another movie or can we make our own? and if so, can we make a movie to an instrumental song using clips and audio from Lost to tell the story?

im excited now

Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this idea sounds great! My question is the same as Kats, but if you are just using instrumetnal music, does there have to be audio in it? I kinda don't understand..the idea..heh

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use audio clips like Doc Brown in Back to the future 2 for example saying "We have to go back!" ring any bells but you can't use any video clips from the actual movie. The way you'd use the audio would be like a voiceover like they do in movies a lot at the start or you could try and lip sync it onto Lost characters and cast them as actors playing that role.

You can not have any people singing lyrics for the music you use. This shouldn't be a problem as nearly every film has a soundtrack.

littleton_pace I'll get back to you on making your own original movie. Need to consult with other Council Members..
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, this is more understandable. Again another dummy quetsion of mine, for just an instrumental song you can have audio? Again I'm asking , I know.. You cannot have a song with lyrics...is that pretty much it?

Last edited by Jinlovessunxx on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much i await your response

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

I just thought of a song need to listen to it though to see whether it works

*searches ipod for donny darko soundtrack*
Killers Angel Eyes
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so let me get this straight in my head...

We have to tell the story of a film or a film's scene using Lost clips, set to instrumental music from the film?

my videos
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's pretty much it
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You can use audio clips like Doc Brown in Back to the future 2 for example saying "We have to go back!" ring any bells

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N_tZecUMJGQ
Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I pretty much understand. We are tyring to recreate as best we can, a part of a movie using Lost clips, okay, I have an idea for a movie! Woot.

IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I was just actually solostjustnow.

This was like the most confusing contest idea ever.

However, I think once you get what it is, it's sounds pretty cool. I am definitely gonna wanna watch these vids.

It's REALLY challenging though, because you're not making a trailer and (for the moment) you're not making your OWN scene.
So you can take dialogue from the movie and sync it with losties. This is hard because of the continuity of a scene. There's a very slim chance that that you're gonna find great lip syncs with out switching "the lost scene" several times. Do you get what I am saying? In recreating one movie scene the background in the lost clips would change multiple times... not very believable scene.

In the other version... say you recreate a scene using lost dialogue, it's very hard to get the feeling of the scene from the movie (especially w/o the exact dialogue). Again I think you'd have a big problem with continuity.

It's just really confusing to me as to how this should be done. Is there an example you can give of what you're looking for?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claiming 'Star Wars,' please.

Edit: Bah. Already been done a couple of times. So if the council thinks that one's played out, I'm taking 'Indiana Jones' instead.

Edit v. 2.0: Taking 'Indiana Jones', I've decided. Specifically 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.'

Last edited by thefilmchick on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamsolostrightnow wrote:
OMG I was just actually solostjustnow.

This was like the most confusing contest idea ever.

However, I think once you get what it is, it's sounds pretty cool. I am definitely gonna wanna watch these vids.

I agree, it sounded soo difficult, but now it sounds pretty cool when I get it. I understand what you're saying too, it is going to be challenging but fun to try to sync those clips.

I am claiming the movie "Titanic" for now, but if it doesn't work out for me I'll let everyone know I'm not doing that movie.

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a fair amount of movie theme songs on Napster, so if people want me to check for a specific one, PM away.

Quick question: Can we get a ban on midi files of the theme songs used as music? Midis make me want to shoot my computer speakers and then myself, so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: