Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts: Anonymous voting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case the odd vote was done by an expert vidder. (CM are expert vidders and their votes have the same weight) That why it's got such an impact. The calculations are right - it's 2.5, on the verge of silver and gold.

Look, I'll vote on it tonight and it's going to make that bronze having less of an impact. Or you may get another bronze. I can be harsh... sometimes.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
In this case the odd vote was done by an expert vidder. (CM are expert vidders and their votes have the same weight) That why it's got such an impact. The calculations are right - it's 2.5, on the verge of silver and gold.

I know the calculations are right, but shouldn't that bronze come with an explanation, particularly if it's done by an expert vidder? It certainly bucks the trend, and I'm not sure why, and I've received no notice why. That's just an example, mind you, but it's frustrating having no information to go on, or no help as to why that person disliked the video. I'm not disappointed that it was a bronze, but I'm disappointed that it was a bronze without any information.

Quote:
Look, I'll vote on it tonight and it's going to make that bronze having less of an impact. Or you may get another bronze. I can be harsh... sometimes.

No need to vote on it, but if you'd like, go ahead. I'm cool with it being a silver. What I'm not cool with is having it become a silver for, apparently, no reason given. I'm sure if I looked in other people's videos I could find some other examples too where the anonymous bronze dings them without comment and affects their ratings. If y'all want a list compiled and PMed for statistical purposes, I'd be willing to do that, given free time.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
A video with 20 gold votes, and one anonymous bronze that is in there for whatever reason (and uncommented, so who knows what the reason is), will suffer far less from that bronze than will a video with 5 gold votes, and one bronze.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that it was just the first five votes that counted toward the cumulative score...am I wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know that people who leave a bronze vote don't ALSO comment on the video in the thread? You have no way of knowing that. Just because someone leaves you feedback doesn't mean they automatically gave your vid a vote of gold. And just because someone leaves an anonymous bronze vote doesn't mean they don't leave feedback.

Personally, I hardly ever switch my votes over to visible. Even when I vote gold. I can only think of a handful (if that!) of times I have done that.

It is clear by this discussion that many people feel that if the overwhelming majority of people give a gold or a silver vote and you decide that it's only going to get a bronze from you, that it isn't acceptable - that the bronze vote is given somehow maliciously? So why would anyone ANYONE want to do that publicly? Put themselves out there and risk retaliation votes? They wouldn't. Not everybody has the same idea about what makes a vid "good" not everybody likes the same styles. Etc. etc. You can't say that just because everyone else thought it deserved a gold, that the person voting bronze isn't entirely justified in doing so. We all have different opinions about vidding so shouldn't that reflect also in the voting? There is no "standard" gold vid.

A bronze doesn't mean the voter thinks your vid is terrible either. They can always vote to give a vid no medal at all. To me, bronze means the vid was good, but not great. Silver is great and Gold is exceptional.

I hear a lot of talk about feedback and concrit so we can know how to improve. But there is also talk of rankings. I'm not saying I don't see how it can be frustrating. But I do wonder, what is the goal here? To force the anonymous voters to withhold their vote out of fear? Or to vote Gold on everything out of that same fear? The end result of either outcome is that everyone's rankings would shoot through the roof, because the only people voting would be those who are giving out golds.

There has always been a level of frustration with vidding, not just on this site, about getting proper feedback. Vidding, even though it is probably one of the most time-consuming types of fan-art when done properly, tends to get the least feedback of all. Why is that? I have no idea. But it's just a fact. There are ways to improve it, and a lot of it just has to do with you know, average garden-variety networking. But even that only goes so far. I have like, nearly 200 people who watch my journal at lj and I still get no more than a handful of comments on MOST of my vids when I post there - even if I crosspost to like 10 communities haha. Occasionally, that's not the case. But generally speaking, these are the rules of the game we're playing here.

It takes a lot of time and energy to sit and watch all these vids and write out proper commentary. I wish I could do it more often. And if I weren't involved in like, fifty other things and a handful of other fandoms, I'd probably be more active in the vid threads here at LVI.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the issue at hand.

My whole point is that I think members should be able to vote how they feel without having to explain it. (Or fear being judged for their vote, retalitory votes, people not liking you because you didn't like their vid, alienating friends, etc.) And taking away anonymous voting will certainly take away the number of votes we get. And I don't think for a minute it will even begin to fix the afformentioned problem of feedback and vidding.

*arrows used to break up the sea of text. No other smiley was appropriate. ahhaha.
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

)great points KC, I was going to say kinda the same thing. I think people would be more afriad to vote bronze or none when your not anonymous . I do tend to vote to the norm, i dont think ive ever given an all gold or gold and silver vid a bronz or no award. But i mean voting has always been secretive. look at elections. Do you ever write your name down on the ballat? (if you accually do sorry for my ignorance.) But ther are some people who like to share and some who dont. Allot of the time ill have my name if its gold, but other than that i vote anonymously. Ive even the odd silver vote for allot of my vids. People have different terms of grading, some my look at the video as a whole and say gold.(what i usually do) and some may take the same video, break it down, and take points off for strengths and weaknesses... so really its all up to the vidder.but i do think we should have the anonymous (though i do secretly want to know who voted on my vids! )
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points KC.

Not everyone feel like giving constructive criticism. I did a few times and got burned. It actually takes a lot of guts because you're putting yourself in the line of fire. So I really don't blame the person who gave you a bronze for not commenting (or maybe that person did actually - you don't know)
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrit is a very touchy subject. When it comes to giving it, you need to know the person well enough to know if they like it blunt and to the point, if they like it sugarcoated, do they actually want concrit at all? Sometimes people say they do, but secretly all they really want is for everyone to shout from the rooftops about how amazing their video is, whether it merits those comments or not.

Therein lies the problem of concrit. If you don't know for sure what sort of thing the vidder is wanting from you, you don't give it, to be on the safe side. At least, that's how *I* roll, anyway. I've been burned from giving concrit and I've seen a lot of others being burned for giving it, too.

I see your point, thefilmchick, but at the same time, you have to put yourself in the other person's shoes. If everyone voted gold or silver and the bronze voter just did not think the vid deserved such, wouldn't YOU be afraid to put your name and opinion on that vote if you were the bronze voter? I would.

I never vote with my name attached unless it's a friend of mine and I've given them a gold. Even then, sometimes I don't. I always, ALWAYS give a reason for my vote, no matter what it is, but I hide it. The Council sees it and they know I'm not voting something random or spiteful, but I don't think the vidder always necessarily needs to (or wants to, in some cases) see what I have to say. That's just me, though, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, like i mentioned on the other page and like jen said if a bad vote was done out of spite, it could result in that spite being retaliated in the person who voted that bronze on their video.

But you know, i think if someone wants you to know what they think about your video they'll let you know and if they don't you know because they didn't think it was very good you won't know and i know that doesn't sound right if you are the kind of person who wants critism for your video but if someone voted badly on your video and gave critism to that the vidder who didn't want it could put them down.

So i think in a way it kinda works both ways with the anonomus voting. Anyways just me ranting on
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
How do you know that people who leave a bronze vote don't ALSO comment on the video in the thread? You have no way of knowing that.

Yes, I do, when it's a video that got absolutely no comments. That's the problem: In the case I gave, there is NOTHING to improve upon. There is no means to garner feedback from that. All I have is the vague notion that someone out there disagrees with the gold votes, and not even an inkling as to why.

Quote:
Not everybody has the same idea about what makes a vid "good" not everybody likes the same styles. Etc. etc. You can't say that just because everyone else thought it deserved a gold, that the person voting bronze isn't entirely justified in doing so. We all have different opinions about vidding so shouldn't that reflect also in the voting? There is no "standard" gold vid.

I am not saying that they're not entirely justified; they may be. Hell, I've seen parts in the video in question that are choppy and suck - and I'm the one that made it. What I'm saying is: I do not have any justification as to why it got a bronze, so absent that justification, it just drags the video's score down for no stated reason. And that's frustrating.

Quote:
A bronze doesn't mean the voter thinks your vid is terrible either. They can always vote to give a vid no medal at all. To me, bronze means the vid was good, but not great. Silver is great and Gold is exceptional.

Then the ranks should be weighted on a bronze-average, not on a silver-average. If the difference between a silver and a gold is great to exceptional, the there is no way that the lowest tier of vidders, Novice, can ever improve enough without significant changes to get to Intermediate, and Intermediate to advanced.

Quote:
I hear a lot of talk about feedback and concrit so we can know how to improve. But there is also talk of rankings. I'm not saying I don't see how it can be frustrating. But I do wonder, what is the goal here? To force the anonymous voters to withhold their vote out of fear? Or to vote Gold on everything out of that same fear? The end result of either outcome is that everyone's rankings would shoot through the roof, because the only people voting would be those who are giving out golds.

Agreed here, and I don't propose to have a solution.

Quote:
There has always been a level of frustration with vidding, not just on this site, about getting proper feedback. Vidding, even though it is probably one of the most time-consuming types of fan-art when done properly, tends to get the least feedback of all. Why is that? I have no idea. But it's just a fact. There are ways to improve it, and a lot of it just has to do with you know, average garden-variety networking. But even that only goes so far. I have like, nearly 200 people who watch my journal at lj and I still get no more than a handful of comments on MOST of my vids when I post there - even if I crosspost to like 10 communities haha. Occasionally, that's not the case. But generally speaking, these are the rules of the game we're playing here.

Not on LJ, so I can't speak to anything there. As far as the lack of critique, I know there's a dearth of it in comparison (and I say that with my fanfic having gotten next to no criticism too), but critiques should be encouraged. Anonymous, hidden, cloistered whatever only discourages critique. There's a happy medium somewhere - I don't know where it is, but I feel that anonymous votes as they stand aren't it.

Quote:
It takes a lot of time and energy to sit and watch all these vids and write out proper commentary. I wish I could do it more often. And if I weren't involved in like, fifty other things and a handful of other fandoms, I'd probably be more active in the vid threads here at LVI.

Oh, I know and wholly agree here. Speaking for myself, I will only vote for videos that I comment on. I can't anonymous-vote and not give critique. Personal twitch that I have, for whatever reason. Maybe I'm holding myself to too high of a standard where that's concerned, and expecting everyone else to conform to such a standard is unrealistic, but as I said, I'm not sure where the solution is, but I figured rocking the boat a little couldn't hurt as far as dredging up discussion about the issue.

Quote:
My whole point is that I think members should be able to vote how they feel without having to explain it. (Or fear being judged for their vote, retalitory votes, people not liking you because you didn't like their vid, alienating friends, etc.) And taking away anonymous voting will certainly take away the number of votes we get. And I don't think for a minute it will even begin to fix the afformentioned problem of feedback and vidding.

I think it would lessen the number of votes, but I believe it will improve the perceived quality of votes. (Note: Not quality, important difference, etc.) I think people would get "burned" far less. Of course, as I noted in my first post, taking away anonymous votes will never happen, and I don't expect it to happen, either. But I just bring it up as an issue that's been nagging at me and at least two other folks I've spoken with here. Figured it was worth airing - and people who know me know that I'm enough of a crusader to mention things that trouble me, haha.

Quote:
*arrows used to break up the sea of text. No other smiley was appropriate. ahhaha.

Might I suggest the and the ? Nothing fosters civil discussion like them! (plz note sarcasm)
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
SuperKC wrote:
How do you know that people who leave a bronze vote don't ALSO comment on the video in the thread? You have no way of knowing that.

Yes, I do, when it's a video that got absolutely no comments.

Oh well yeah surely there are times when you'll know for certain, powers of deduction and logic and all. But I mean generally speaking. You can't really know for sure ALL the time - esp with multiple commentators and multiple voters. (The majority of which are usually anonymous, I've come to learn, whether bronze or not.)

Quote:
What I'm saying is: I do not have any justification as to why it got a bronze, so absent that justification, it just drags the video's score down for no stated reason. And that's frustrating.

I think this just boils down to the general feedback problem with vidding that I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Then the ranks should be weighted on a bronze-average, not on a silver-average. If the difference between a silver and a gold is great to exceptional, the there is no way that the lowest tier of vidders, Novice, can ever improve enough without significant changes to get to Intermediate, and Intermediate to advanced.

It is hard. Especially when every vidder has their own personal style that makes their vids their own.This place has been around for a long time and it's hard to really stand out in the crowd. The more vidders we get, the more advanced we all become, the harder it is for a novice vidder to break through. I think LVI does try to foster a sense of community, that anybody is welcome, that we are all here to learn from each other. But there is no denying that some of us are slightly "grandfathered" in. I'm not saying we didn't get here on our own rights. But it was a lot less intimidating "back in the day" as we say. Even though I don't think of the COMMUNITY as intimidating - just the vids that we have to live up to. It IS harder to make a "name" for yourself if you will. To find your niche.

I do believe that there are also technological boundaries. Not all of us are using the high-end editing programs. These CAN make a difference in a wow!bang!pop! kind of way. There are just an endless litany of things you can do with a program like Vegas that you just CANNOT do with a program with WMM. And as unfair as that is, there is no possible way to remedy that.

Quote:
Anonymous, hidden, cloistered whatever only discourages critique. There's a happy medium somewhere - I don't know where it is, but I feel that anonymous votes as they stand aren't it.

I have to disagree that it discourages critique (and interaction, generally speaking.) There was a time when the users of this site had no power to vote on the vids on the site. You submitted your vid to the council and you got what you got and there was no breakdown of voting whatsoever, and certainly no viewer picks. It was just THERE one day. And, certainly *cough* in the past votes had been challenged and changed, but there was a certain flaw in the voting system at that time (as I am led to believe it) something with the amount of CPs required before a vid got marked gold or silver, etc. Anyway the POINT is. This site has become SO MUCH MORE interactive once the viewer voting system was put in place. Taking away anonymous votes would only lessen that, and IMO to a slight degree, lessen the overall interactivity of the site. And when you really REALLY break it down. That little bronze medal IS kind of a critique in its own right. No it's not telling you WHY they picked that. But it does tell you that somewhere there's something that could be improved upon in the eyes of at least SOMEBODY. And the lost viewers ARE your core audience.

I feel like the parent telling their kid how they walked to school in ten feet of snow when they were a kid right now hahaha.

Perhaps we could start up a thinktank in the artistic help threads for vid reviews or something? With specific criteria to be reviewed and commented on etc. That would be one solution.

Quote:
Figured it was worth airing - and people who know me know that I'm enough of a crusader to mention things that trouble me, haha.

You and I are definitely cut from the same cloth in that way. Ask anyone here and they will certainly tell you. Hahha.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is hard. Especially when every vidder has their own personal style that makes their vids their own.This place has been around for a long time and it's hard to really stand out in the crowd. The more vidders we get, the more advanced we all become, the harder it is for a novice vidder to break through. I think LVI does try to foster a sense of community, that anybody is welcome, that we are all here to learn from each other. But there is no denying that some of us are slightly "grandfathered" in. I'm not saying we didn't get here on our own rights. But it was a lot less intimidating "back in the day" as we say. Even though I don't think of the COMMUNITY as intimidating - just the vids that we have to live up to. It IS harder to make a "name" for yourself if you will. To find your niche.

That's true - I think that a lot of folks are intimidated by a lot of videos. I think I have got my niche (I choose a lot of new-wave, off-the-beaten-path songs, often with a cynical sense of humor, and chances are if you haven't heard the song, it's probably one of my videos, joke stuff like the Shania Twain thing aside.) So I'm not worried about that. I feel I have my own vidding "personality," if you will. But what I'm saying is that it seems the difference between a bronze and a silver is actual, you know, talent, whereas the silver to the gold is personal preference - so it's increasingly impossible for people to get high marks.

Quote:
I do believe that there are also technological boundaries. Not all of us are using the high-end editing programs. These CAN make a difference in a wow!bang!pop! kind of way. There are just an endless litany of things you can do with a program like Vegas that you just CANNOT do with a program with WMM. And as unfair as that is, there is no possible way to remedy that.

And I'm not particularly interested in Vegas-ing it at the moment, as I have tried to use that damn thing at least five times and can't figure it out, so I'm one of the WMM holdouts. I have figured out how to do a hell of a lot in WMM, though - and there are ways to replicate many Vegas effects. I think if I used Vegas, I'd overdo it on the effects - WMM makes me keep my videos punchy and clear, and I think that's accounted for some of my higher scores. I don't feel hemmed in by the technological boundaries, really. So I'll have to disagree on that one, at least speaking for myself - though I'm sure the majority of WMM vidders would disagree.

Quote:
I have to disagree that it discourages critique (and interaction, generally speaking.) There was a time when the users of this site had no power to vote on the vids on the site. You submitted your vid to the council and you got what you got and there was no breakdown of voting whatsoever, and certainly no viewer picks. It was just THERE one day.

I remember - I was there a year ago, although I took a break during school. Is the voting more interactive now? Obviously. Could it be more interactive without vote-and-dash stuff? I say yes. Obviously I'm not the majority opinion, but like I said, I'd rather get no vote than an unhelpful vote.

Quote:
And when you really REALLY break it down. That little bronze medal IS kind of a critique in its own right. No it's not telling you WHY they picked that. But it does tell you that somewhere there's something that could be improved upon in the eyes of at least SOMEBODY. And the lost viewers ARE your core audience.

But it doesn't tell me what, where, or why, and it doesn't tell me if it's actual improvement, or if it's someone that, for whatever reason, just wasn't wowed by the vid (and if you're just not wowed by a vid, there's no way that improvement on an un-thrilling video can make it thrilling, generally.)

Quote:
Perhaps we could start up a thinktank in the artistic help threads for vid reviews or something? With specific criteria to be reviewed and commented on etc. That would be one solution.

By all means, start it! I think only the people who are predisposed to give thoughtful critique will read it, mind you, but it's worth a shot.

Quote:
You and I are definitely cut from the same cloth in that way. Ask anyone here and they will certainly tell you. Hahha.

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to ask, though...you do realize that sometimes people ARE giving reasons for their votes and that the Council is seeing them, you're just not, right? Because, I, for one, keep my reasons hidden when I'm afraid that it might hurt the vidder's feelings, ESPECIALLY if I don't know the vidder as a "friend" you know? I haven't voted on your vids, that I know of, but if I have and just don't remember, I'm probably one of the ones who kept my name and reason hidden, regardless of gold, silver, or bronze rating. Some people are just REALLY uncomfortable with giving concrit, for fear of reparations. It's just how it is, and I'm not sure anything LVI can do would ever change that... I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better seeing as how they're hidden and they don't help YOU to improve, but, really, again, there's nothing LVI can do about that, short of taking away anon votes and if they do that, even less people are going to vote than they already do. As it is, me? I don't even watch very many Lost vids anymore, let alone vote, unless the vid REALLY pulls me in via title, picture, or summary...and that's not very often. Maybe I'm just rambling...if so, my apologies, but point being: if LVI made it impossible to rate a vid anonymously, I'd just stop voting all together. I know I don't just speak for myself, either.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would you be afraid of it, when that is (to my mind) at least part of the whole reason why the site exists? To me, the whole anonymous vote-without-comment thing defeats the purpose of the site, is unhelpful, and often leaves people at a loss as to how something can be improved.

"Reparations" are dumb, anyway. (Not saying your reason is dumb, but the whole idea of it.) I mean, we're all mature teenagers-and-above, right? (Yeah, I know, we probably aren't all as idealistically mature as that.) We should be able to take criticism, and aware that if we put something out there, it will bring about different reactions.

But criticism is one of the main reasons art is public - to invoke reactions in other people. The same theory can be extended to vidding. If a vidder seems to be on a tear to get back at others via reparations, then staff can, should, and would deal with it.

We should have an option to see the reasons then, if they're entered as anonymous votes. That way, the votes would still be anonymous but more constructive criticism could be gained (and it would be easier to monitor the "THIS SUXX0R! I HAET THIS CHARACTER SO U GET A FAIL!"-style comments, as they'd be public.)

(Edit to clarify. Sorry! Been working on my appellate brief so my writing skills are a bit sketchy at the moment.)
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't appreciate their vids being taken apart. They consider it a hobby, not an art. It a fun thing to do and should stay fun.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a vast difference between a video being "taken apart" and "Hey, this was good. (Insert good points here.) Some constructive criticism: (Insert criticism here.)" I aim for technical improvement, and getting scores without explanations doesn't help me improve, after all.

That's why I suggested the anonymous comments being viewable (though not the identity of the vidder, should they wish to keep anonymous) should be optional. If you don't want to see that level of critique, you don't have to, but if you do, you can get it. Otherwise, it seems to me that a vast resource - namely, someone like what mistojen describes: The person that sees your video, sees room for improvement, and offers suggestions, albeit anonymously - is being wasted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: