Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sayid Appreciation Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Sayid Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

The guy is a younger, better-looking Mr. Wizard. Plus, he can break someone's neck with his feet. So he needs an appreciation thread. In my book, Sawyer is number one when written properly, but Sayid's the runner-up.

I like the fact that he's a man of action and doesn't really stand for people wasting his time, and I like the various bone-dry comments he gets in from time to time - ""I don't know what's more disquieting, the fact that the rest of the statue is missing, or that it has four toes" and "This music is so depressing," amongst others. (The "Good morning." when he wakes Sawyer up by knocking him out in 'Confidence Man' always cracks me up, too.)

Plus, for my money, Naveen Andrews is the best actor on Lost (with Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson close behind). I just hope they'll write Sayid some good stuff in S4 and give him more to do on the beach (I was disappointed that nothing happened in Otherville at the end of S2, or with the 'disquieting' four-toed statue). At least he won't have to be constantly babysitting/humoring Jack.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sayid's an awesome character. I'm suprised he didn't take role of the leader in the beginning! He seems the most intelligent and (aside from Jack's medical knowledge) the most helpful character on the island. He should have more interesting storylines. Like his plot with Danielle in season one. And yes, he makes a few jokes now and then so he isn't completely serious all the time. I'm sad for him that Shannon's gone. They were a sweet, interesting couple. Sayid's a great character and I think the rest of the castaways would have been (more) lost without him.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Sayid's an awesome character. I'm suprised he didn't take role of the leader in the beginning! He seems the most intelligent and (aside from Jack's medical knowledge) the most helpful character on the island.

And Sayid already has half of Jack's medical knowledge anyway, from being a soldier, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he's smart enough to figure out the rest. Heh. As for why he didn't step up as the leader in the beginning - I don't think he wants to be. He's led people down bad roads in the past (see: intelligence division, torturing, etc.), and so I think he's had his fill of leading. Plus, Jack seems to need to be the leader, in an almost pathological way. Sayid doesn't.

Quote:
He should have more interesting storylines. Like his plot with Danielle in season one. And yes, he makes a few jokes now and then so he isn't completely serious all the time.

I liked the Danielle plot - if memory serves (?), he was the only one in S1 who had his A-plot basically to himself? By that I mean, he was on his own trek, with no other Losties. Hurley kind of did, but not as much. I think that's interesting - guess it means Naveen can carry the episode by himself, with just Mira Furlani along for the ride.

Quote:
I'm sad for him that Shannon's gone. They were a sweet, interesting couple. Sayid's a great character and I think the rest of the castaways would have been (more) lost without him.

As far as Shannon, I didn't really care for the ship itself, though I didn't mind Shannon, and actually liked how they developed/rounded out her character. I find it a bit hard to believe that a guy who's spent seven years searching for his One True Love would throw it all to the wind like that - but he did leave Nadia's pictures behind at Danielle's hatch, so maybe that says something contradictory there.

-----

That said: The Sayid fanclub needs more members, people. Go Sayid!
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sayid's my second favorite character from Locke. Even though he's losing ground to a triangle between Juliet, Richard and Ben for that spot, he is still all kinds of awesome. I just hope he gets a lot more screentime next season, and has a bit more humor and humility. Lately I've been getting a little tired of his constant melodramatic seriousness/intenseness. I just want to see layers keep building around his character. He used to make witty jokes and be sweet to some people (like Kate, Danielle and Shannon).

thefilmchick wrote:

And Sayid already has half of Jack's medical knowledge anyway, from being a soldier, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he's smart enough to figure out the rest. Heh. As for why he didn't step up as the leader in the beginning - I don't think he wants to be. He's led people down bad roads in the past (see: intelligence division, torturing, etc.), and so I think he's had his fill of leading. Plus, Jack seems to need to be the leader, in an almost pathological way. Sayid doesn't.

Jack never decided to be the leader either, and he didn't need to be. He didn't even want to lead anybody. But someone had to, and everyone else around him just made Jack be the daddy they come to because he's a doctor, and he just had that "vibe", I guess. I'm not sure whether Jack now needs to be a leader, but he certainly has a desperate need for complete control. Anyway, I'm veering off-topic. I'd also like to see Sayid overthrow Jack for leadership. Don't they have democratic elections over there anyway? Perhaps we'll have to wait a couple seasons for that time to come around.

sig by IslandofMystery
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot!

Go Sayid!

I definitely agree that he's a very underappreciated character. They better do something with his character in Season 4!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd also like to see Sayid overthrow Jack for leadership

I think I read somewhere (may have even been here) that Sayid seems to always be right. He was right about Juliet (at first anyway) and on the whole alot of things that I can't remember off the top of my head. So it just suprises me why nobody listens to him some of the time.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
So it just suprises me why nobody listens to him some of the time.

Because he's too polite to shout down Jack and Locke? (It would be hilarious if he, like Sawyer in the Long Con, explained to them exactly how misguided they are half the time. Although he'd do it diplomatically, unlike Sawyer, so they might actually get the message.)

And yeah, he is generally right. He was right about Ben, and that's probably the biggest mistake the Losties have made.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less poison pills and brainwashings, more ninja fights and dishwasher deaths.

(Yes, this is a blatant bump.)
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sayid is, like, the one character on the show who I have NEVER been mad at. Go Sayid!

art by me&tammy
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Sayid. I remember in season one I wanted him and Kate to hook up. Its so sad to see him the way he is now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed Sayid. Sayid is someone who knows he's done something unforgivable.

What I have never liked is how Sawyer has always judged Sayid. I think it's hypocritical. Because Sawyer of all people must know what it's like to be misunderstood but he seems to misunderstand everyone else.

I've always been intrigued by Sayid/Nadia. I think it's one of the more beautiful love stories on the show.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkimonique wrote:
I've always liked Sayid. I remember in season one I wanted him and Kate to hook up. Its so sad to see him the way he is now.

Me too Nikki! Before Skate there seemed to a spark between them for me lol It's a real shame they never went there.

LOVE Sayid. He's always been amongst my favourite characters. He should have been the leader from the start and I think the losties would be in a lot better shape.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysticWondering wrote:
I have always enjoyed Sayid. Sayid is someone who knows he's done something unforgivable.

(Spoilers for episode 6x09)

Spoiler:

Hmm... Now that you say that, I'm thinking he's kind of like Richard when he first came to the island? Cuz Richard also thought there was no way he could be forgiven.

Anyway, I LOVE Sayid! It's really sad what's happening to him this season! I've always thought he's one character who won't get any sort of happiness in his life.

icon by becca
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had happiness. Its name was Shannon and Nadia. But then they killed his happiness.

Back in the good ol' days (my name for S1 ) when I liked Kate, I wanted her and Sayid to hook up as well. I thought that would be the triangle....Jate/Kayid. But then Sayid was smart and got himself out of THAT mess.

art by me&tammy
LostPB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always loved Sayid.Nothing can change that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: