Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sassy's Corner ~ UPDATED 8/3/08 (TDK/Heath Ledger)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Sassy's Corner ~ UPDATED 8/3/08 (TDK/Heath Ledger) Reply with quote

I warn you ahead of time, I haven't been able to make my fanart look as good as most of everyone else's does...there's just something that makes everyone else's look similar and I don't have that...I'm confused, it's hard to explain, but I have fun making art anyway.

And here are my manips. I only made a couple and these are my first ever...

Last edited by SassyLostie2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 am; edited 15 times in total
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo! I like yur stuff. I can't make my art look like everyone else's either. Though I'm learning. I can't get the hang of textures for some reason.

Ya know what? Do you think you could help me figure out how to use fanfiction.net? I'm so confused what the heck to do. I have a fanfiction I'm writing and I tried to upload it but I dunno, I got lost in the process. PM me if ya can, that way we don't spam up your thread.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strong work - particularly the end polka-dot manipulation, which works well without being distracting - but there are a few technical glitches, if you want critique: For the banners, you may want to try outlining the text with a 1px stroke, so that it's more visible, or anti-aliasing it. It doesn't look like it's been anti-aliased, and that gives it a slight 'fuzziness' that makes it a little hard to read.

For the manips, watch your head angles and body angles when you're pasting on the heads.

Both Sawyer and Kate in the umbrella have heads that are disproportionately large to their body by about 10% and have heads that are titlted at the wrong angle - Kate's neck looks contorted, and if Sawyer is leaning forward (the only way he could be straight-on at that angle), he would cast shadows onto his neck and body, which he isn't. His face in there also looks like it's receiving a good deal of direct sunlight, which makes the umbrella look weird.

In the second picture, Sawyer's manip is seamless, but Kate's face is sharper than her body, so you might want to soften that and make it a bit more gray than black.

Hope that helps!
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the critique! Actually, I was having problem with jasc PSP when I made these, and suddenly seem to not have these problems anymore when I made the first banner. I dunno why. Whenever I tried to add it as a new layer for a manip, it woudln't let me move it or mess with the brightness and contrast. And yes, I did realize that Kate was a bit off in the umbrella one, but thanks again. Most of these things I knew, but I'm learning how to use this program and these were the first manips I ever made. Thanks again
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee. Sorry for super serious critique - I'm always like that when I critique things. If you want super serious critique on your fanfic, let me know, too. (The problem that went away with Jasc PSP, btw, could just be the values of whatever you were saving the .jpg banner at - sometimes a slight pixel difference can make the text sharper or fuzzier - or perhaps you had the text layer unknowingly locked. A lot of things could've been up.)
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...I'm scared of your super serious critiques on my fanfic. I am very proud of my fanfic and not used to valid criticism. lol jk But go ahead. I prefer people to be honest and not just be like 'that was good' and really be thinking of all these mistakes in their head. I try to balance out my criticism (nice but honest, of course) with good stuff, if I possibly can. I'd love to know what you think of my fics...but uh...ignore the older stuff, it's awful! Do you have any fanfic btw?

Oh, and ignore occasional typos. I plan on going back to fix them, but many times I get so into writing, I don't realize that I make typos until later., and some when I look over it later.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do - but it's long and fairly serious itself, so forearmed is forewarned, and all that. Link here. There's one novel-length piece, and one that's about halfway done (sequel to the other), and Sawyer's one of the focus characters. I'll check out your stuff, though!

(It comes from having been a writing center tutor and now from being a law student - you wind up being blunt, I'm afraid. Still, I wouldn't have commented if I didn't like it, so take the critiques with a grain of salt on that front. )
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes...I remember running into your fics before, but never really read them because of their length. I may change my mind when I have the time tho. I have over a hundred fics...have never taken any writing classes or had training of any kind...whatever good is in my fics is from practice, so I hope you enjoy them.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can write without tiping liek thiz u no, so that's already a leg up on a lot of fanfiction.net. Good start! :p (It still spooks me how I predicted the van in the woods, and that my villainous dude came out similar to Ben, but was written before 'One of Them,' and so forth. Kind of creepy, but I digress.)

100 fics? I don't know if I have that many different plots even in me. Novel-length stuff is easier - there's just about 5 plotlines to keep track of. Still, I'll check 'em out. Any in particular out of the 100 that you'd either recommend or are curious for opinions on?
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh...Ideas just pop into my head and I have to write them. It really depends on what you ship. I write almost everything, aside from Slash and some really cracky ships. I've got Jate, Skate, Sana, Jacket, tiny bit of Chaire, one Shayid...Mostly Skate tho, with Sana and Jate coming in 2nd and third. My fics that are doing the best seem to be 'Second Chances' which is a WIP, and 'Life and Death' which did really well for some reaso (I don't particularly love it tho, it's alright), even tho I just jotted it down as a filler story while I had writer's block for others. It's finished now...they're both a bit long. Whatever you want, but I warn you about going too far back...they're really bad if you do...I think so anyway. Don't even bother with constructive criticism on those ones. lol!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last Sawyer and Kate banner is beautiful, and very well blended together. The effects on it are sweet with the black and white, and the white dots. All the rest of your avatars are cute and your other banner is another nicely blended one. Don't worry, their still good artwork!

I read some of Road to Recovery, and it was very strongly written. It felt real, and sad, that's always good to have in a fan fiction story. I'm sure all of your other stories are the same!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've read some of your fanfic (because fanfiction.net is where I met you! ) And your Charlie fic is beautiful. I'm so glad I inspired you to write the Liam/Charlie fic because it was brilliant. And I know you're always coming up with good Skate/Sana stuff =)

Your Skate art is so cute. Lol, the glasses! When I first saw your manips I didn't realise they were manips! I guess there could be improvements but I didn't really notice anything wrong with them at first glance. Very nice Skate art anyway
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Both Sawyer and Kate in the umbrella have heads that are disproportionately large to their body by about 10% and have heads that are titlted at the wrong angle

lol! I didn't realize that you said this part before, but I find this funny, only because on that umbrella pic, I didn't actually paste the heads. These are actual pics of Josh and Evi. All I did, was paste Evi into the Josh pic and erase the background on her pic, so it matched with Josh's. hehe So if their angles are off, or their bodies are disproportionate to their heads, I didn't do it!

Jemmz: Thanks so much for the compliments. Your fanfic is great too! I love the Sawyer/glasses one too. Fun stuff.

Jinlovessunxx: Aww, thanks sooo much! It means a lot. Glad that you liked the banner. It means a lot!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Their heads still look strangely contorted from the rest of their bodies to me, so I stand by that. Could be a weird shot on behalf of the Josh photo, anyway.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more avatars and stuff I made. I was just messing with colors and effects for the fun of it. Feel free to take any of them to use around the net, as long as you don't change them or anything, and it woudl be nice to know if you do take them. So, what do you all think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Fan Art All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: