Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coloring
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatheticDreamer
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Coloring Reply with quote

Hey guys i dunno if this doesn't belong in here, feel free to delete it if that is the case. I was wondering if any vidder has made a tutorial about coloring in Vegas. Like SuperKc's vids (beautiful coloring by the way). I'm just so stupid when it comes to this and i want my vids to look good. I searched on Polarbear's thread for any explanation or tutorial but i guess i missed it.

Can somebody help me, LOL...please.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what other vidders do, but I know that I just mess with the contrast/brightness and then up the saturation (which, I'm not sure if you're using Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio, but if you're in Vegas, it's in Color Corrector). I think KC plays with the Color Curves. There's also color balance, gamma, stuff like that. It's the sort of thing you kind of just have to play around with until you find what you like the look of, really... Good luck Maybe someone else will be more helpful to you than I was
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use curves. It's a nice way to manage the coloring, lighting, etc. Bring out what you want and leave behind what you don't. I could post some screenshots but honestly, I don't know how to TEACH curves. It's somthing you sorta have to learn through trial and error.

There are an infinite number of things you can do with it, effects you can achieve. So it's not like I can say "here's what you do." Cause I'd be talking until I was dead.

Here's a couple tutorials on curves themselves:

Nice but general photoshop tutorial about curves & how they work:
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/photoshop/articles/phscs2at_learncurves_02.html

A sort of creepy looking, but helpful VEGAS tutorial on curves:
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-10.htm

I once had a really amazing tutorial on Curves, and I still have the link but every last one of the images is broken. I left a note for the author, asking if they were planning on re-uploading them, but haven't heard back unfortunately so I'm taking that as a tentative no.

I may post some shots later.
PatheticDreamer
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much mistojen & KC.
I suck at using curves but i'll read the tutorials. I'll try the color Corrector also mistojen.
You guys have been so helpful...thanks again.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the color corrector and color corrector secondary to do my colouring. You can just stretch the pointer to the colour you want and then mess with the offset and gain levels to get it to look how you want. I'll try the color curves though too later thanks KC.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do.. not really a TUTORIAL but like, a pictoral guide to show you exactly how I got the coloring on my last video. This won't really TEACH YOU how to use curves and the various other coloring tools that I use. But it will give you an idea of some of the things you can do I suppose.

Right now, I have to go deal with the fact that somebody just hit my car.

WTF? HOW DO YOU HIT A PARKED CAR?!?!?
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wait for the cops to get here to look at my STUPID car, I am posting some stuff.

We're gonna go from:
This - to this -

We'll get there in 6-7 steps, depending on the scene:
1. Light Rays
2. Saturation
3. Brightness/Contrast
4. Color Balance
5. Curves
6. Saturation (Yes, again)
7. Color Balance (Yes, again, but only for corrections.)

Pictures and explanations soon!

Random Tip #1: Order MATTERS! If you have any number of layers over your clip/track, order can make a difference (sometimes HUGE) in how it shows up. Don't think it doesn't matter, because it does!

Last edited by SuperKC on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
but if you're in Vegas, it's in Color Corrector

Is that in with your Video fx tools? All I find in Movie Studio is Color Balance and Color Curves. Which would probably explain a few things...

SuperKC wrote:
I'm going to do.. not really a TUTORIAL but like, a pictoral guide to show you exactly how I got the coloring on my last video. This won't really TEACH YOU how to use curves and the various other coloring tools that I use. But it will give you an idea of some of the things you can do I suppose.

My reaction:

OMGSQUEEYAY!!!!!!!! That would be freakin' amazing! I've been playing with Color Curves on my Jack vid but I'm getting very uneven results, so I'm really, REALLY interested to see somebody who knows what the heck they're doing do some demonstrations!

SuperKC wrote:
Right now, I have to go deal with the fact that somebody just hit my car.

Holy crap! I'm so sorry to hear about that, KC! That's awful! *hugs*

SuperKC wrote:
Pictures and explanations soon!

OMGSQUEEYAYAGAIN!!! Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. I really AM totally bummed to hear about your poor car! But I'm completely psyched for your "I Can't Believe It's Not A Tutorial!" Tutorial."
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
mistojen wrote:
but if you're in Vegas, it's in Color Corrector

Is that in with your Video fx tools? All I find in Movie Studio is Color Balance and Color Curves. Which would probably explain a few things...

You don't have it in Baby Vegas, actually Kayla and I looked through every last one of her effects before she upgraded and she couldn't find it. You have saturation adjust (I think it's called Sony Saturate or something in the Video FX), but it doesn't saturate NEARLY as much as the saturation levels in Color Correcter do. I don't know if you have gamma or any of that, to be honest Sorry...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
You don't have it in Baby Vegas, actually Kayla and I looked through every last one of her effects before she upgraded and she couldn't find it. You have saturation adjust (I think it's called Sony Saturate or something in the Video FX), but it doesn't saturate NEARLY as much as the saturation levels in Color Correcter do. I don't know if you have gamma or any of that, to be honest Sorry...

No problem! I mean, they're gonna hold something back or you wouldn't have any reason to buy the full version, right? I'm still proud of what all Baby can do! *huggles Baby Vegas* (I've more than got my $10 worth, that's for darn sure! *huggles fantastic rebate* )
PatheticDreamer
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luv the pictorial "guide" KC, i would luv to see it finished

SuperKC wrote:

An idiot hits parked cars, LOL. I'm so sorry to hear that hun. *hugs*
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
mistojen wrote:

No problem! I mean, they're gonna hold something back or you wouldn't have any reason to buy the full version, right? I'm still proud of what all Baby can do! *huggles Baby Vegas* (I've more than got my $10 worth, that's for darn sure! *huggles fantastic rebate* )

Kayla used to get some really good results messing with the saturation level and then playing with the contrast on clips...if she can make Supernatural clips look bright and pretty, Lost clips ought to be a piece of cake SPN clips are murky as ALL hell
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Tip #2: What are the three most important colorization tools that I use in Vegas?

- Saturation
- Color Balance
- Curves
(I'd add Contrast/Brightness to that list as well, especially if you're gonna go for black & white, or are working with overly dark/overly light caps.)
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEP 1: Light Rays
I wanted the video to have a bit of an overall "dreamy" or "watery" look. Kind of like blurred vision when looking through wet goggles. If that makes sense. So I decided to add some light rays. This effect isn't actually a colorization effect, but I did say I was gonna show you exactly how I achieved that look.

THE SPECS:

Blah blah blah, moved the focal point. Blah blah blah, upped the whosawhatsits, blah blah blah, lowered the whatsawhosits.

THE RESULT:
From this - to this -
At this point. It just makes it a bit murky. Wait. Murky? Watery? ZING!

STEP TWO: SATURATION (Full blast!)
Could we get some color up in here?

THE SPECS:
I like to live life on the edge! Why not just up everything to the max? LETS DO IT!

THE RESULT:
From this - to this -
Yowza! It's an oompa loompa! (No hobbit jokes intended! And he's not THAT orange anyway.)
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEP THREE: Brightness and Contrast

I know that later, I'm going to be adding a few more harsh color changes, and he's looking a bit dark, so let's shed some light on the situation right now.

THE SPECS:
A little brightness, a little more contrast.

THE RESULTS:
From this - to this -
Yeah, it's kind of lackluster. I know!

STEP FOUR: Color Balance

What happened to my watery theme? What happened to my retina's not being burned every time I look at Charlie's face? Let's take out some of that RED/YELLOW/ORANGE and add some stinkin' blue!

THE SPECS:
Minus a LOT of red. Plus a bit of green and a BUNCH of blue! (These are all technical terms you know?

THE RESULTS:
From this - to this -
Holy moly! That did a lot! Do you see why Color Balance is one of my favorite tools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: