Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noj
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Server question Reply with quote

Not trying to tell you how to run this place or anything, i don't know the first thing about how you guys go about it, but whats the situation with the server? Are all the problems, ie slow loading or being down most of the time, due to the company doing maintenance or is it just because the company's poor? Whats the odds on moving to somewhere new?

*waits for beatings*

Tear The World Apart - Just To See If You're Right
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to fear beatings, Noj! The only one we're angry with is the server! But you know how it goes when you're dealing any sort of tech support -- they're not exactly in a hurry. But we (which usually means Warren ) are definitely in there trying to get this sorted out as quickly as possible. I have no doubt that he'll get it straightened out or he'll get us onto a new server. One way or the other, LVI will get back on its feet!

Thanks to everybody for your patience!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to really know is... it's being handled. Unfortunately, simply switching servers may not be the answer.
But if you know any really good ones, post them here and we can check them out.
In the meantime, I'm trying to make our site as efficient as possible so it uses less resources and doesn't cause the server to crash . But I'm starting to think that there's only so much I can do before it becomes the server's fault .
So in short: we're the ones going over the limits, but it's the server that has stupidly-low limits . So perhaps a server change is in order.

I'm particularly looking for a server which specializes in SQL databases. Know any?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*doesn't know*

But I missed the site so much!

*huggles site*

I hope you find someplace. Cause this is crazy! If you keep going over your limits, is there really a way to stop that? I mean, as long as the site keeps growing, user-wise and all. What else can you do BUT switch servers?

*thinks real hard*

I got nothing!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's the funniest part We're still far from the limit limits. We're just hitting one of the stupid little "we're wussy so we won't let you do this" limits .

But we're looking at other hosters a closer now. Finding a host with a limit a bit less pathetic than this would certainly be the easiest way to go about this problem . But then again it might not be enough either.

The suckiest thing is if we do switch now, we're throwing 6 months worth of hosting away, since we're paid for iPowerweb until November.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shoots iPowerwhat'sit with a rocksalt shotgun*

Hey, they and their wussy limits have well and truly vexed me. And when I'm vexed, I pull out the rocksalt shotgun.

SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO Ais, I love your rocksalt gun!
Noj
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
All you need to really know is... it's being handled. Unfortunately, simply switching servers may not be the answer.
But if you know any really good ones, post them here and we can check them out.
In the meantime, I'm trying to make our site as efficient as possible so it uses less resources and doesn't cause the server to crash . But I'm starting to think that there's only so much I can do before it becomes the server's fault .
So in short: we're the ones going over the limits, but it's the server that has stupidly-low limits . So perhaps a server change is in order.

I'm particularly looking for a server which specializes in SQL databases. Know any?

I own a forum that runs just that. We run on Vizaweb, and we had some trouble at first but for months now its been completely flawless.
http://www.vizaweb.com/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising! I sent them an email to find out some more.
(could you post a link to your forum, so I can get a sense of what kind of pressure you're putting on their server?)

Right now, we're taking a close look at Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/). Anyone hosted by them at all?
Noj
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ford-force.com

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice!
Flawless you say? How flawless LOL? (How many connections do they give you usually anyway?)
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you looking to spend Warren? Seriously, most hosting providers are going to charge you if you go over the limit or in the current case just cut you off. There are no hosts out there that I know of that offer a huge bandwidth for little money. Unfortunately, when you have a site that gets a lot of traffic you have to pay a lot to keep it running smoothly.

Perhaps, if you did database optimization. Sometimes that can reduce a lot of the load on the server. I don't know if you know what that is, but it can sometimes help.

As for servers, mine is pretty good but we're not as busy.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much are you looking to spend Warren? Seriously, most hosting providers are going to charge you if you go over the limit or in the current case just cut you off. There are no hosts out there that I know of that offer a huge bandwidth for little money. Unfortunately, when you have a site that gets a lot of traffic you have to pay a lot to keep it running smoothly.

Bandwidth, and all those little things, we're fine on. It's the hidden crap, like Database Connections, that we're getting screwed on. And most sites don't offer that (even those expensive big multi-terrabyte sites)
Dreamhost does though. 300 connections (as opposed to the mere 100 right now )

Quote:

Perhaps, if you did database optimization. Sometimes that can reduce a lot of the load on the server. I don't know if you know what that is, but it can sometimes help.

Did it, a lot of it. But there's not really an automated way for this unfortunately, so I'm not sure if I got enough of it . I'm not even really sure it's the load on the database or server so much as it's just that we're making too many connections (and it would suck if that's all it is... because that is something I could probably fix, even if it would make the site a lot more susceptible to hacking... ug.)

Quote:
As for servers, mine is pretty good but we're not as busy.

I heard you guys had to switch servers. How was that?
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the hidden crap, like Database Connections, that we're getting screwed on. And most sites don't offer that (even those expensive big multi-terrabyte sites)

You're best bet would be to contact a hosting company and ask them if maybe they can offer you more database connections. Not sure how much that will cost but its worth looking into. Sometimes they'll cut a deal.

Quote:
I heard you guys had to switch servers. How was that?

Gah! Much better! The other hosting company was horrible! The bandwidth was being sucked up almost every month. The new guys are great. They have 99.9% uptime and a bunch of goodies. Not sure about your issue though but you can check them out if you want.

http://www.hostmonster.com
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You're best bet would be to contact a hosting company and ask them if maybe they can offer you more database connections. Not sure how much that will cost but its worth looking into. Sometimes they'll cut a deal.

Yep, already have . Like I said, Dreamhost gives us 300 (!) JUST for LVI. (and in comparison, iPowerweb has 100, shared among the entire server of like 50 sites )
It almost seems too good to be true though, which is a little scary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: