Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: 300 Reply with quote

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

Has anyone seen it yet? I read that it's supposed to be quite brutal... Rodrigo Santoro (our well beloved Paolo ) is in this movie as well as Gerard Butler and David Wenham (squeeeeeee!!! Faramir!!! ).
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO Paulo?! Oh I so hope he dies gruesomely!

Seeing tonight. Looking forward to it .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
LMAO Paulo?! Oh I so hope he dies gruesomely!

Isn't it almost kinda scary that everyone just so wants Paolo to die?

Hobbes wrote:
Seeing tonight. Looking forward to it .

*sigh*
I'll have to wait until the beginning of April. Stupid... German... release... dates... Let me know if the movie is good or not, k?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a pic like this one in the paper today and, even though I know it's Rodrigo Santoro (aka "When are they going to kill Paulo off, again?" ), it's REALLY hard to see it's him!

And *squee!!!!* David Wenham! Yay!!!!!!
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO EPIC
IHHKJkjbhkjdfkjhdsflkjHLKJHkjhlkjnfdskjlfh!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren was reduced to 2 words and fanboy alphabet flailing! I'm not sure if I'm worried or just really, really impressed!

Dude, I've gotta see it if it struck Warren practically mute!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
SO EPIC
IHHKJkjbhkjdfkjhdsflkjHLKJHkjhlkjnfdskjlfh!!!!!!!!!!

That was my initial response A more detailed one follows:

Epic: Def: surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale.
My favorite genre .
And this movie was the epitome of it

Man, there's just not many ways to describe it. You know how everyone loved Snakes on a Plane, mostly because they just couldn't get enough of Samuel Jackson saying "Get these *beep* off this *beep* PLANE!", well this movie was just like that, except with The Phantom of the Opera gutting a guy in slow motion . Just so.... satisfying. No strings attached, just stylized EPIC battle and a story to back it up. Freaking gorgeous. If you like epic movies, then you simply have to see this one.

I tell you, it just couldn't have worked if it wasn't for the Sin City style though. They walked that tightrope between being a regular old movie and being a farce of epic movies, because of their insistance to load every single shot FULL of epicness and over-exagerate every detail. They didn't even stop for a second to make you question "Hey, 300 guys can't really hold off a million soldiers. That's not historically accurate!" because you frankly DIDN'T CARE. It made itself so over the top that your only choice was to either revel in the epicness or laugh at how over-the-top it was. But either way, it was great .

This may never win an award, but like tons of movies before it, this thing will forever hold some high cult status among movie goers .
I whole-heartedly endorse this movie

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squueee! Your review sounds amazing, Warren! So wanna see this movie now!

Oh, and here's some eye candy for Aislynn and myself and any other David Wenham fangirl out there... looks like he doesn't wear too many clothes in this movie! Yaaaaay!!!

Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not exactly amazing lol. I mean, if you're looking for a serious, emotional drama, this isn't it. But this movie goes all-out in one direction that no other has really tried to do, and they pulled it off so brilliantly it's just a very enjoyable movie. I think you may like it . I loved it.

I know why they chose Paulo for that role btw. Somehow they knew he just gives off that vibe of "man, I want that guy to get killed", just like he does in Lost . And 300 is largely all about that - get Paulo .

Also, Note to Aislynn and others: this is R-rated for a reason It's not just for violence either.
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
"Hey, 300 guys can't really hold off a million soldiers. That's not historically accurate!"

Well, actually there were really only 300 spartans (give or take a few ) that stayed behind in the last stand as well as a few Thespian volunteers in order for the rest of the army to retreat to Athens (well they ended up there). The battle lasted 3 days and on the 3rd was when there were 300 Spartans. The point is they barely had a single legion. That's just being "historical" though.

I love Frank Miller because he is so over the top (i.e. Sin City) and he was responsible for making Batman a darker character, thank the lord. I heard that this was literally Frank Miller's work, as in it holds true to the graphic novel word for word, scene by scene. And basically the director and "writers" did nothing new. I'm still game though.

I'm just not liking the scene I saw in the trailer with the wife and child in the wheat fields... too reminiscent of Gladiator, which I love.

Oh I can't wait to see this, I LOVE STYLIZED VIOLENCE and the fact it's about Greeks/mythology is just icing on a cake. Let the blood bath begin

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did Batman Begins too?!?!?! *bows to greatness* By FAR the best Batman I've seen.

Quote:

I'm just not liking the scene I saw in the trailer with the wife and child in the wheat fields... too reminiscent of Gladiator, which I love.

yeah I guess. But even that scene is really coolly stylized
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
He did Batman Begins too?!?!?! *bows to greatness* By FAR the best Batman I've seen.

Quote:

yeah I guess. But even that scene is really coolly stylized

Oh no, that wasn't him. I'm sorry, I'm talking about the actually comics. I'm such a geek *cries hysterically* If it wasn't for him Batman would probaly have wound up in bed with one of the Robins. "Holy Tubesock Batman!" He just made it the darker Batman we now know and love. You can say he "stylized" him.

This movie just looks fun, except for the constant semi-nude men... I think I'll probably go blind from the shine their waxed bodies will give off. I'm sorry but there has to be some hairy ass Spartan right? Not that you want to see that

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops guess I just jumped to stupid conclusions there lol

Quote:

This movie just looks fun, except for the constant semi-nude men... I think I'll probably go blind from the shine their waxed bodies will give off. I'm sorry but there has to be some hairy ass Spartan right? Not that you want to see that

just thank your lucky stars they aren't Borat.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgene wrote:
I love Frank Miller because he is so over the top (i.e. Sin City)

Sorry, gene, but I'm not with you here. Sin City was terrible!! I felt sick when I got out of the movie theatre. That movie is just disgusting (maybe the comics are better, but I kinda doubt it).

Still looking forward to 300 though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: