Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x05 - The Cost of Living Episode Description
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post Michelina! I wish I was as eloquent as you. I agree 100% with everything you said.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harpreetd wrote:
But that's just it, isn't it? For some of you, ALL you do is complain about it, about almost everything. Even the smallest thing, and instead of trying to like the episode you bash on it. And once you do that you try to lure many others to do the same.... and pretty soon.. all these pages are filled with complaints and nothing about the episode-

I'm sorry, it looks like im just repeating myself over and over, but I guess that's what it takes.... to show you the mess you are making.

And before you reply, at least try to cool down! There is no need for that foul language. Thank you.

I have cooled down, and can I just say that I still do enjoy the show?

Maybe this is just my demented philosophy, but for me to like something, I have to pick out some flaws in it too, or else I'm not looking at the whole picture. For me, this applies to Lost as well. It's my favorite show, it really is. The reasons for why I initially loved it (the characters, the pure uniqueness of the whole scenario that no other show could even touch on), have simmered down a bit, and I find myself poking around for good enough reasons to adore the show as much as I did before. I actually rarely complain about the show, and I only do it when stating my own rightful opinion, and not in an attempt to make other people agree with me. I have never engaged in a debate about Lost. Personally, I find them ridiculous. They're just silly, so please don't think that people who point out what they believe to be a flaw in the show are trying to make you see their way as well. Well, I actually can't speak for everyone when I say that, but that's my personal motto, because I personally despise it when someone tries to make me change my opinion to fit theirs. It's useless.

Trust me, I know exactly where you're coming from, harpreetd. For example: While you can't stand to see people complain about the show as a whole, I absolutely cannot stand it when people make invalid and unnecessary digs at the character Charlie. Sometimes, their anti-remarks ARE valid - for instance, I could understand why people were upset when he attacked Sun. But nowdays, there are just nasty, nasty people who absolutely love to poke fun at EVERY SINGLE LITTLE MOVE HE MAKES, when he is TRYING to be a better person! Like, Charlie will do so much as smile and he gets bashed for it. People have even started cult ships for Claire, just to keep Charlie away from her. IMO, it's absolutely dreadful, and carries on to pretty much every Lost forum that I've been on. It doesn't even become a matter of opinion in some instances, it just becomes habit for these people to put the character down. And as a diehard Charlie fan like me, who makes an effort to sympathize with him instead of passing off everything he does as a failure, the [sometimes unnecessary] bashing is really hard to witness.

So yeah, I understand why it upsets you to see people rant about Lost, but my advice to you is to try and look at how these people word their rants. Some people word them as if to make you see their side of things and agree with it, just like you said. And there are those who take your opinion into consideration, and don't bash you personally, but instead just state their view on things, without forcing anyone to totally understand it. Does that make any sense?

cylune wrote:
Awesome post Michelina! I wish I was as eloquent as you. I agree 100% with everything you said.

LOL awh, I'm glad that you think so. Most of it was just me rambling, and I was worried that I'd come off as some grumpy, ungrateful fan, which I wouldn't want, because I still do enjoy the show! I just enjoy different aspects of it than other people do (for instance, I'd rather see more Charlie/Claire screentime than the whole hype about who Kate is going to choose, but it'd be a miracle if that ever happened). So yeah, I'm a bit unsatisfied in that area, because the things I look forward to on the show often get the chopping block, and I instead get fed with things that are being served to either bring up the ratings, or to please only a certain group of the audience. This may sound selfish, but I'm rarely included in that group; I don't think I'd even want to be, because I love it when Lost embraces its audience as a whole, and not only a few select members of it. That's why I adore the whole ensemble-angle this show once had in S1/early S2, but has since lost. Hopefully it comes back, and soon.

Last edited by Michelina on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harpreetd wrote:
But that's just it, isn't it? For some of you, ALL you do is complain about it, about almost everything. Even the smallest thing, and instead of trying to like the episode you bash on it. And once you do that you try to lure many others to do the same.... and pretty soon.. all these pages are filled with complaints and nothing about the episode-

I'm sorry, it looks like im just repeating myself over and over, but I guess that's what it takes.... to show you the mess you are making.

And before you reply, at least try to cool down! There is no need for that foul language. Thank you.

Well, usually what I DONT mention are the parts I really like- I just have to do my "huh?' report every week. Mess were making huh? This is getting really personal.

Ais---> HAHAHHAHAAAA! "Jack, Ive made reservations for us at the Day Spa."

And Im sorry, but I think someone should start a petition asking for NO more/less flashbacks!
I actually LIKED Rodrigo in Love Actually/Charlie's Angels- note that both of those roles had LITTLE to know talking and had him in surfer shorts/hot briefs. Paolo is a huge complainer.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the coming rant! Aislynn, I totally agree! That was hilarious. White bathrobes. Maybe Tom's not the ONLY one who's not attracted to Kate if you know what I'm saying? Hahah. Nice.

harpreetd wrote:

That's the most condescending thing you've said thus far.

How about you keep showering the show with undying love. We keep bitching and moaning. And you shut your pie hole whenever you get the urge to TELL US how to be fans! That is not your decision to make and the sooner you stop trying to "direct" these threads the better for all involved. If I want someone to tell me what kind of opinion I'm allowed to have on a certain subject I'll try to talk to Republicans about how screwed up the Bush Administration is. Maybe I could even get myself on the no fly list, what do you say big brother?

This is almost enough to make me KEEP watching the show just so I can come here and complain every week.
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:

Ais---> HAHAHHAHAAAA! "Jack, Ive made reservations for us at the Day Spa."

Haha, good one I admit, there was some homoerotic moment in there, but come on, Jack and Ben...eeeewww.

Michelina I love the banner

I'm sensing a very negative aura in this thread. I'll just say that both parties bring up good points but that doesn't mean that we should take to either of your extreme ends (not saying you are forcing us to) as I believe there is criticism and praise in each episode and it's fair for people to say what they want. Either way it doesn't make someone, more or less a fan by pointing out the good or bad in the show, the point is they still watch so give it a rest.

I think it's cookie time Ais

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgene wrote:

Haha, good one I admit, there was some homoerotic moment in there, but come on, Jack and Ben...eeeewww.

I feel all eww-ey about ANYONE, regardless of gender, with Ben. Sorry hes just like a creepy sociopathic little martian.

I dont think anyone has intentionally made it negative- I think frustrations really run high. Ill give LOST this- its one of the VERY few shows Ive faithfully watched in my life that is consistently nervewracking. We know its just a show, but its like "oh no torture" "oh no sex!" "oh another death"...it takes its toll. I think we all need to laugh about elements of the ridiculous...that are in EVERY show, but I somehow appreciate MORE in LOST cause I like the show-
like were doing now. Bathrobes, Brokeback Island music....

And and FYI, I hunted down the preview I missed on YOUTUBE and my mom (huge sawyer fac) went- "ewww but hes all dirty! I wouldnt with him!" and I just looked at her and went "uh, I would!".

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
harpreetd wrote:

Ok, I was going to leave it, but I'm going to hop on the bandwagon now. First of all, KC, uh hostile much? (psst, that was a joke, I love ya!) I agree WHOLEheartedly...that statement, in and of itself, harpreetd, COMPELTELY negates your credibility in judging our opinions.

So, ok. Basically, harpreetd, you're telling us that we're trying to suck other people into our "mess"? I want to make sure that I'm correct in this assumption...that, by stating our negative opinions, we're trying to create this army against Lost and recruit new soldiers to our dark side? But...you're not doing exactly the opposite, right? You're kidding, I hope, because it's the most ridiculous load of drivel I've ever read.

That said, about 99% of us that are complaining about the episodes have still stated that we have every intention of continuing to watch the show, so I really don't understand why you're making this so personal. This thread was meant for a discussion of the episode and just because some (well, hell, I'll admit it--most) of us were displeased with this episode, I'm pretty sure none of us is breaking anyone's arm saying "YOU SHOULD HATE IT, TOO, DAMMIT!" If you want to turn this thread into a debate of who's a better fan, then you should probably get off your high horse, because we're simply going to try to knock you off of it before we bother to have an actual debate with you. You're asking for it by looking down your nose at those who are irritated with the outcome of the episode.

NOW, then.

Ais--the bathrobes...ha ha, there's no way I'll see it any other way, now. Thanks a lot

Michelina--Thank GOD someone feels the same way about Charlie that I do! He's screwing up left and right, but he's really, genuinely TRYING to fix it...and himself. I understand that he's the resident screw up on Craphole Island, but, I really wish that people could look at him sympathetically. Perhaps I look at him through beer goggles because I have known people in my ACTUAL life like his character and good things CAN come to people like Charlie when they put forth the effort to mend their ways, like he is. Bashing with a good argument is one thing, but if you've got nothing to back it up, you just sound like a jerk. Ya know? I'm totally on your side for Charlie, sista!

/rant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
SuperKC wrote:
harpreetd wrote:

Ok, I was going to leave it, but I'm going to hop on the bandwagon now. First of all, KC, uh hostile much? (psst, that was a joke, I love ya!) I agree WHOLEheartedly...that statement, in and of itself, harpreetd, COMPELTELY negates your credibility in judging our opinions.

So, ok. Basically, harpreetd, you're telling us that we're trying to suck other people into our "mess"? I want to make sure that I'm correct in this assumption...that, by stating our negative opinions, we're trying to create this army against Lost and recruit new soldiers to our dark side? But...you're not doing exactly the opposite, right? You're kidding, I hope, because it's the most ridiculous load of drivel I've ever read.

That said, about 99% of us that are complaining about the episodes have still stated that we have every intention of continuing to watch the show, so I really don't understand why you're making this so personal. This thread was meant for a discussion of the episode and just because some (well, hell, I'll admit it--most) of us were displeased with this episode, I'm pretty sure none of us is breaking anyone's arm saying "YOU SHOULD HATE IT, TOO, DAMMIT!" If you want to turn this thread into a debate of who's a better fan, then you should probably get off your high horse, because we're simply going to try to knock you off of it before we bother to have an actual debate with you. You're asking for it by looking down your nose at those who are irritated with the outcome of the episode.

Okay Mistojen- you are my hero! Will you marry me? Thats all I can say. I agree 100% with what you said.

[quote]

NOW, then.

Ais--the bathrobes...ha ha, there's no way I'll see it any other way, now. Thanks a lot
[/quote

Heh heh heh. Thats what we do best!

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:

Okay Mistojen- you are my hero! Will you marry me? Thats all I can say. I agree 100% with what you said.

SURE! ... who will be the one to make it official for us, then? Any takers?

PS--that's TOTALLY the sort of thing I would say to someone if I agree with them as much as you agree with me. Usually mine is "Ok, I'm PRETTY much in love with you, now."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:

PS--that's TOTALLY the sort of thing I would say to someone if I agree with them as much as you agree with me. Usually mine is "Ok, I'm PRETTY much in love with you, now."

Haha! Only if you and Paul duke it out Sawyer Jack style...JK! Hmmm...Ruth now wonders who would be who...

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
mistojen wrote:

Haha! Only if you and Paul duke it out Sawyer Jack style...JK! Hmmm...Ruth now wonders who would be who...

I'm game, as long as you promise not to take TWO YEARS to make a decision between the two of us

Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:

I'm game, as long as you promise not to take TWO YEARS to make a decision between the two of us

No it is MY job to put my hand to my shocked face and go "ooh!". And be JUST out of reach of both of ya...

And no way 2 years...it'll be more like 5, 6.

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ruth,

I love you.

Love,
Jen

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
xgene wrote:

I feel all eww-ey about ANYONE, regardless of gender, with Ben. Sorry hes just like a creepy sociopathic little martian.

Creepy sociopathic little martian... It's true but I still like the guy, lol! What can I say? I'm twisted when it comes to villains.

Oh, and gene, just in case you're wondering, I wasn't suggesting shipping Jack and Ben. It just struck me as strange and completely amusing for a few seconds there...

Ruth--> "Jack, Ive made reservations for us at the Day Spa."

Classic beyond words!!!!!

Rocksiren wrote:
And and FYI, I hunted down the preview I missed on YOUTUBE and my mom (huge sawyer fac) went- "ewww but hes all dirty! I wouldnt with him!" and I just looked at her and went "uh, I would!".

There's not enough dirt in the world to make Sawyer unattractive to me. Nuff said.

Michelina: I always love to read your posts, they're so thoughtful, intelligent AND tend to be long, which I personally love! (Gee, you'd never have guessed that, right? ) I admit, I'm not a C/C shipper and I tend to be one of those people who ship Claire with everybody BUT Charlie; however, I feel a lot of sympathy for C/C shippers because you guys get zip in the way of respect. Actually, zip would be an improvement. You guys get, like, negative respect.

I don't understand why so many people just LOATHE Charlie. Yes, he's made mistakes but hello? Have we looked around? Locke was wrong about the button and could've killed everybody. If Jack had some big plan to keep "the gang" safe while letting Michael lead them into a trap, I haven't seen it working yet. Sawyer conned the living daylights out of everybody AND squished a dang tree frog. Each of the characters took flack but nothing near like what Charlie took over that thing with Aaron. I guess how I saw it was that he wasn't trying to hurt him at all; he was trying to save him, even if he was going all about it wrong. And I would've dearly loved to have seen what happened with him and Claire to get them back to this "happy little family" state they've somehow popped into. What? They couldn't spare two minutes for Claire to say, "Charlie, you screwed up but I know you meant well and I'm going to give you another chance."

And I agree as well that Kate has taken a drubbing from the writers this year. I still keep expecting to find out that they did some brainwashing/"here have a drink of this Happy Juice" sort thing to her in that space of time from where we saw her at breakfast with Ben (where she hadn't ate anything) until we saw her all scratched up (and tasting like strawberries). Something beat the fight out of her a bit. I'm just hoping it wasn't "bad writing" that did it.

KC and harpreetd: Obviously you've both got strong opinions on this subject and you're both perfectly entitled to them and to state them. But just remember when all is said and done, it's just a TV show. So, when I ring this bell, I want you both to come out of your corners, keep the fight clean, no hitting below the belt, no... Wait, I drifted in Extreme Championship Fighting or something here, sorry.

Uh... What was I saying? Oh yes...

Adorable snowman cookies for everybody!!!!!!

xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:

Oh, and gene, just in case you're wondering, I wasn't suggesting shipping Jack and Ben. It just struck me as strange and completely amusing for a few seconds there...

LoL, I figured that, but the confirmation is always a nice reassurance

Quote:
Rocksiren wrote:

There's not enough dirt in the world to make Sawyer unattractive to me. Nuff said.

Hey, hey...take that dirty stuff to your Raving Sawyerett's thread ladies LoL

Quote:
I don't understand why so many people just LOATHE Charlie. Yes, he's made mistakes but hello? Have we looked around? Locke was wrong about the button and could've killed everybody. If Jack had some big plan to keep "the gang" safe while letting Michael lead them into a trap, I haven't seen it working yet. Sawyer conned the living daylights out of everybody AND squished a dang tree frog. Each of the characters took flack but nothing near like what Charlie took over that thing with Aaron. I guess how I saw it was that he wasn't trying to hurt him at all; he was trying to save him, even if he was going all about it wrong. And I would've dearly loved to have seen what happened with him and Claire to get them back to this "happy little family" state they've somehow popped into. What? They couldn't spare two minutes for Claire to say, "Charlie, you screwed up but I know you meant well and I'm going to give you another chance."

I don't know, he just rubs me the wrong way. I think it's all the minor things that stack up compared Locke's "I was wrong" button ordeal or Jack's "brilliant" plan (he was tricked as he thought they would be near the beach with Sayid). Sawyer is just to cool to hate...despite the cheap heat with the frog (one of the dumbest subplots in an episode thus far ) I didn't think the baby thing was that bad so it surprises me that people hated him for it, considering Claire baptized Aaron anyways For me all I see is annoying Hobbit...though he's better than Pippin If anything I just don't care for him as much as others so his faults seem GIGANTIC/unforgiveable compared to others, which brings us back to that discussion on character favoritism (No needing bringing that up again for you ) . He's really not that bad of a character, no one is (EXCEPT PAULO AND NIKKI...*ahem*for now anyways). I even had trouble doing that vid on him, my sis gave me so much flack for that, and now it seems it's getting the most attention at this site...go figure lol

Quote:
Uh... What was I saying? Oh yes...

Adorable snowman cookies for everybody!!!!!!

SNOWMAN COOKIES!!! SQUUUEEEEEEEE!!! lol

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: