Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

War of the Worlds!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostzilla wrote:
No problem Vicky, I was born to make you happy.
Ughh I'm quoting Britney Spears!!!

and that definately ain't gonna get you any points LMAO
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i tell you I lost my touch completely?
Crap@ no love for Nate

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be sad, i still love you but in a bestfriend sort of way
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a sort of closeness there.....

hmm actually that might be just the fact that we our only a few 1000 km apart

lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1700 actually.

fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostzilla wrote:
1700 actually.

oh is that all
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading how people hate the ending and someonne said how they hated the nd because it was so religious.

Was it religious in any way?
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO?

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless dead liens is religious
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm it's true noone loves Nathan, but he heart him

soo in the end al aliens die?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it's a good ending. It's not just them dying because we shot em in the face.

Recommend to all who don't mind people who turn to dust
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I just got back from watching this movie and I feel like I need to post a reply here. I avoided all spoilers for this movie and all topics relating to it I'm going to spoiler color this for anyone that wanders in here but has yet to see it because you really do need to be surprised when watching this movie.

Overall I thought the movie was well put together. A few things did bother me though. At the very beginning after the first round of lightening and Ray is in the city with all the other people you see one guy with a camera taking pictures. That's okay because you can hear the camera winding. What bothered me was the guy with the camercorder. If cellphones, cars, televisions, watches, work lifts (i.e. the guys that were up on that lift in the construction uniforms), and everything else that runs on power and batteries were not working then why did that camera? It could be argued that batteries weren't effected but then why wouldn't Ray's cell phone turn on?

I also wondered the same thing when we saw the army and airforce planes and helicopters working. But I let that slide since I don't know much about that equipment it could be that they have a built in safety for electical storms. But I do know camcorders and batteries or not that thing should have NOT been working because it works with computer components and if you put anything electromagnetic near a computer it's not going to work no matter how good a battery you have.

Maybe there was a reason for this that got cut from the movie because it was really the only technical thing that I would have liked to see an explination for.

My other issue with the movie was the ending. It's not because of any religious undertones (still having trouble figuring out where people saw those religious tones ) or because of the sappy reunion. My issue was that there is so much left to wonder about. How did Robbie survive and make it to Boston before his dad and sister? What happened to the rest of the world?

I'm studying film so I know that a lot of times the directors and editors like the audience to fill in the blanks for themselves but they should have done a quick run down at the end like they do on "true story" stories. Like this many died, these countries were wiped off the map, etc. Kind of like what they did at the end of "Day After Tomorrow" when the VP went on air and kind of gave a run down. Instead we got a two second reap of an explination of what exactly happened caused the invaders to die. Something that should have been stated a bit earlier so the audience could have been on the same page as Ray when he was realizing all this.

For a movie of this size a few glitches (most of which I guranteeed were caused by stuff that got left on the editing room floor) is expected and at the end I don't think it takes much away from the film. I hope that we get a Directors Cut of the movie when it hits DVD because I really think that would fill in some of the blanks.

Dakota and Tom give incredible performances. The scene during the riot over the car when Ray was trying to get to his daughter was amazing. The two of them together really got across that father/daughter relationship. No matter how distant Ray was from his kids prior to this event he was willing to give his own life for them. When he gave himself up to the tripod to be with Rachel that was a sacrifice he made with no thought of himself. It was all about dying for her if necessary but most of all about a father's love for his child. Cruise delivered as a father and a unsung hero.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the ending but I think that last shot of the family worked well to tie up the film. You get to see Cruise reunite with his son (even though he thought he was dead a part of him always knew he was alive) and his family. He was never really called a hero but the look on his estranged families face at the end said it all. He had weathered the worst of the worst and brought his daughter home and made his family whole again. His only reward for all his sacrifices and risks was his children alive and safe.

With the exception of a few glitches I think this is so far one of the best movies of the summer. Amazing special effects, solid acting, and a story that never hits a dull point. If you haven't seen this yet get your butts to the theater and go see it because this is one of those movies you just have to see on the big screen to really appreciate it.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more LC (lazy me dont wanna type too much) LOL.

Quote:
Dakota and Tom give incredible performances. The scene during the riot over the car when Ray was trying to get to his daughter was amazing

Yeah I love that scene. The acting was solid. Dakota Fanning is pretty good in all of her films (right Potter?), and I actually like Tom Cruise in this one.

Enough said, go see it people.

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostzilla wrote:
I couldn't agree more LC (lazy me dont wanna type too much) LOL.

Quote:
Dakota and Tom give incredible performances. The scene during the riot over the car when Ray was trying to get to his daughter was amazing

Yeah I love that scene. The acting was solid. Dakota Fanning is pretty good in all of her films (right Potter?), and I actually like Tom Cruise in this one.

Enough said, go see it people.

Yeah, she's good.

Every you saidLC is correct. That whole car scene was amazing. I was so worried during thw hole movie that Ray and Rachel were gonna be seperated (I.e. ccar, poeple thinking she was alone.)

Great.
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:

I'm studying film

cool I also do at school ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: