Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
what i really want to do is put a vid in a vid. I've figured out cookie cutter and that's all well and good, but when I put the second clip on the second video line, its still the same size. how do i edit the second clip so that its as small as the hole in the first clip *hopes she's making sense* and is there a way to cut around objects as opposed to using the pre-made shapes?

Your friend the pan/crop tool can do most of what you're looking for! (Pardon me for borrowing screencaps from an earlier "how to mirror a clip" thing I wrote up a while back. Just ignore the writing on the pics themselves... )

The arrow is pointing to the pan/crop icon that's on every clip:

When you click it that opens up the pan/crop box:

See those little boxes around the edges of the pic? Left-click on one of the corners and drag it to resize your clip. You can left-click anywhere inside the box and drag it to move the clip around, so that it's placed where you need it to be. (And you can follow the directions on the pics and click Flip Horizontal if you ever need to mirror a clip, also... )

As for cutting around a shape more precisely than with the cookie cutter, that relies on one thing: are you using the full version of Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio? Vegas has a masking thing inside the pan/crop tool that Movie Studio doesn't which lets you define out a shape point-by-point. I know that Steph has done a tutorial on how to mask a shape, if you have the version that will let you do that.

Hope that helps!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i figured out my issue. i dont think i was doing it right in the first place. ill try and explain what i want to do. i have this footage of claire crying and int he corner i want to put the footage of the CC kiss but smaller. what i did was put one clip on the top video line and the kiss on the second video line...and i dont think that was right...maybe you could explain how exactly to do the picture in picture thing for me?

in answer to ur question, i have the Vegas 6.0 movie studio trial so it probably doesnt have that extra effect, but thats no big deal,ill just use the ones that are there. my issue is the trial ends in three days so if you could help before then id be grateful!!!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
ok, i figured out my issue. i dont think i was doing it right in the first place. ill try and explain what i want to do. i have this footage of claire crying and int he corner i want to put the footage of the CC kiss but smaller. what i did was put one clip on the top video line and the kiss on the second video line...and i dont think that was right...maybe you could explain how exactly to do the picture in picture thing for me?

This is how I would do it...

1. Switch the positions of your clips and put Claire crying on the lower timeline and the kiss on the timeline right above it (Vegas "sees" the timelines like they're in a stack, with the things on the lower timelines at the bottom and the ones on the higher ones above them -- yes you can reverse that but it's just easier to deal with it that way, in my opinion ). So that's why you're not seeing your cookie cuttered kiss clip, it's "underneath" Claire crying.

2. Now that the clip is on the upper timeline, click the pan/crop icon and use it like I mentioned above to make it smaller and move it where you want it to be on top of the Claire crying clip.

3. Now apply the cookie cutter to the kiss clip and pick out the shape you want -- you can play around with the different shapes until you see one that you like -- and use the slider that says "feather" to give it a nice soft edge, unless you want it to have a hard, defined edge to it.

4. If you want the kiss to be slightly transparent, so that it has more of a "dreamy" look to it, go to the clip itself and put your cursor at the top, where it'll change to a hand. Left-click and drag down and you'll see a line begin to come down across the clip. Over in the preview window, you should see the kiss shot beginning to fade out. The farther down you drag that line, the more transparent it will become.

Between the pan/crop tool, the cookie cutter, the transparency effect, and having the clips on the timeline where Vegas will "see" them the way you want it to, you should be able to achieve the effect you're looking for! Hope that helps! Good luck!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Finally i can use vegas for the whole dam reason i downloaded it!!! I can do all my dream things now!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help!
LostFreakJ
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again. Rendering the vid in parts didn't work, how small they were. I takes forever and about halfway it gets an error message. I can't translate it.

But, I realized something. This is the first time I work with avi files, cause I could figure out how to import them without using wmv files. The codec I use for them is DiVx. Someone on an other website said this could be the reason why I can't render the vid and advises me a Panasonic codec. Worth trying, or not?
Or a MainConcept DV Codec? Any use?

EDIT: I installed the MainConcept DV Codec and uninstalled the K Lite one (which some said that one was needed to import avi files), but now all my media is offline; what should I do?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry, J, I didn't see this post.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that's giving you so much trouble! Have you had any luck getting your media back online since you posted this?

I've never had much luck using AVI with Vegas myself (it causes weird errors like the first clip constantly changing to become whatever the last clip I put on the timeline is! ) so I render my AVI material into WMV with Windows Movie Maker first (I break each ep into 4 parts because WMM seems to have an easier time with it that way, but that may just be my particular WMM).

I would think that you definitely have a codec issue of some sort here which is what made it impossible to render up, even in pieces. I'm only familiar with the DivX codec, unfortunately, so I don't really know what to tell you to try beyond this, I'm afraid! I don't want to mess you up further!

Anybody else know about these particular codecs or this sort of problem?
LostFreakJ
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing.

I'm busy trying to register at a more technical forum with people who know almost everything about Sony Vegas, but for some reason I can't get in... I'm trying it for 2 weeks now, but still waiting for acceptance...
Aimee
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
so I've edited all of my episodes only to keep my favourite scenes (this way the next time I do a vid, I won't have to look through each episode again). Anyway, my question is: what is the best setting to save this file in, so that I don't lose any quality?

Thanks!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so trey mentioned a thing in another topic

Quote:
i love the manip tool soo much better, just because i can just cut around the object

how do you use that manip tool thingy cause i've looked for it but i just can't seem to find it anyone know what i mean?

and how do you do the flashy effect thing like in kaylas video 'i won't be there' where it isn't a full flash but it seems brighter, its used when claire's on the beach sitting on the sand and it goes with the beats.

and ow i bit some skin off my lip and its bleeding *in pain*
VPnymph
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using one month trial of Vegas, until I get a new PC.
My question is hard to explain but here I go... How do you cut clips so that there are two on the sceen at the same time.

Last edited by VPnymph on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charmed_charlie wrote:
and how do you do the flashy effect thing like in kaylas video 'i won't be there' where it isn't a full flash but it seems brighter, its used when claire's on the beach sitting on the sand and it goes with the beats.

Hey, Charlie! God, I hardly ever check this thread, so sorry that I haven't replied before now.

That flash was so ridiculously easy, I couldn't for the life of me fathom out why I hadn't discovered it before. Basically, what I did was this:

1. Split the clip on the timeline at the beat.
2. Extend both ends of the clip so they cross-fade (don't move the second part of the clip forward to cross-fade it, just drag the end of the first clip INTO the second, and the start of the second back into the first.
3. Put the Additive Dissolve on the cross-fade.

Voila! Hope that helps. If you want a visual tutorial, let me know!

Supernatural Video Station
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh thanks so much

i had no idea how you did that lol and i've used addictive dissolve before hehe
VPnymph
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_has_no_chance wrote:
My question is hard to explain but here I go... How do you cut clips so that there are two on the sceen at the same time.

Sorry for being impatient but it is just so confusing and I only have 26 days to find out lol.

Last edited by VPnymph on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being impatient but it is just so confusing and I only have 26 days to find out lol.

Sorry there! I've recently missed quite a few posts in this thread apparently.

Anyway, the answer I gave to littleton_pace about a picture-in-picture type of effect at the top of this page is actually the same thing that's going to give you the split-screen effect I believe you're looking for. So let me paraphrase myself...

1. Put the two clips you want combined on two timelines, one right above the other. For demonstration purposes let's say that you want to show Kate smiling on the left side of the screen and Sawyer smiling on the right. Hey, why not? So you could put Sawyer's clip on the lower timeline, Kate's on the higher one (or vice versa).

2. Use the pan/crop tool on each of the clips so that Kate is over to the left and Sawyer is to the right, where you want them to be.

Here's a screencap of where to find the pan/crop tool (I'm still borrowing a screencap from another tutorial thing, sorry but it still has the things that you need to see. So just ignore the writing on it -- unless you'd like to know how to mirror a clip, if you don't already... ).

Just click and drag on the inside of the box and you'll see the picture begin to slide in the big preview window. If you need to resize either of the clips, just click and drag the little boxes around the picture:

3. Now use the cookie cutter on the clip on the top timeline. (The cookie cutter is found under the Video FX tab ) To get a true split screen look, use the square shape and leave the cookie cutter set on "cut away everything but section."

4. If you want a nice, soft edge between the two images, use the slider that says "feather." Otherwise you'll have a hard, defined edge.

I hope that makes sense! If not, let me know or if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to speak up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 23 of 53

Jump to: