Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Windows Movie Maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.50 MB is all that's left on the hard drive? (I'm really hoping you meant 9.50 GB -- gigabyte instead of megabyte )

WMM requires at least several gigabytes to render a vid. It's not so much a matter of how big the video is, it's the process that WMM goes through to render. It "spreads out" all of the information, the effects, the clips, the transitions, the titles and everything and analyzes it bit by bit. Then it checks to make sure all of the files are in the proper place. Then it begins to combine them into one WMV file and then finishes it off. (That's a very general, fuzzy version of what WMM does when it renders, sorry. I read an article about it once but I can't find it to refresh my memory on the technical details... )

The point being, it's probably not going to let you render it as it is because it doesn't have enough physical space on the hard drive to put all of the information. However, you still could try rendering it in chunks as large as it will let you (remove the music again and leave as many clips and effects as it will permit), then try combining those again with your music. Once the effects and transitions have been rendered, WMM doesn't have to "think" so hard about them. They're already made into the new clips, so that might ease its memory requirements.

Good luck with it! I've got my fingers crossed for you
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much!!!!! Im really really sorry if im asking wayyy to many questions! But i will definitally try saving them in chunks, thanks!
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright i saved the clips in chunks, how do i put them together to make them one whole thing?

OMG! I loveeeeeee your Desmond pic in your sig!!!!!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost_fan2444 wrote:
OMG! I loveeeeeee your Desmond pic in your sig!!!!!!

Thanks! I found it on a site with funny Lost manips and I couldn't resist it!

lost_fan2444 wrote:
Alright i saved the clips in chunks, how do i put them together to make them one whole thing?

Once you have the pieces saved as a movie (aka rendering) -- in other words, they're each now made into their own little .WMV clips -- import each of them back into your project. Open your original project file again and delete all of the video clips but leave the music. Then just put the rendered pieces you just made back on the timeline in the same order and they should line up pretty close with the music again. If they don't, you can cut them like any other clip and try to make adjustments so they hit the beats again and things like that.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much.
I just tried all that but i think i used WAY to many effects, like too many lol. Whenever i replay it and it does all these effects it's just blank.
Oh well, Thank you so much for your help!
I'll remember that for next time when Windows Movie Maker does that again. I'll try to take out as many effects as i can without it being boring lol and see if it works.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost_fan2444 wrote:
Thanks so much.
I just tried all that but i think i used WAY to many effects, like too many lol. Whenever i replay it and it does all these effects it's just blank.
Oh well, Thank you so much for your help!
I'll remember that for next time when Windows Movie Maker does that again. I'll try to take out as many effects as i can without it being boring lol and see if it works.

Is it when you preview the vid that the effects come up blank (when you're watching it in WMM, in other words, with the project on the timeline)? Or is it blank after you render it (save as a movie)? If it's just when you're watching it in WMM, then that's just a "side-effect" of the effects and transitions. The more "difficult" a vid becomes, the less WMM is able to show you when you preview it. (Even the bigger editing programs can have trouble previewing.) But as long as you can keep WMM going and get it to render correctly, it's okay that the effects don't show up in the previews.

I hope that makes sense! And you're quite welcome. I'm glad to help in anyway I can! Sorry I can't do more!
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching it on Windows Media Player and it was just a ton of blanks
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got a question too.

I was finally ready with a video where I spent a lot of time in, so I try to save it, but it stays 11% and the minutes always go higher and higher.
I tried to save it on a CD, send it to the Web, closing WMM and re-starting again... It all didn't work

I saw someone else on the WMM forum having the same problem, but I don't speak English in real life and I didn't understood it that much. I don't even know if it even worked with that person.

My brother (on the other computer) had once the same problem, but he just let it go and made an other one. That other one had no problems with saving, only that one video had problems...

What do I need to do?

No credit needed - icon & sig both made by me.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost_fan2444 wrote:
I was watching it on Windows Media Player and it was just a ton of blanks

Er... Hm... Well, let's see. Is it only that one vid that that's doing that on? You might try making a "test vid" (just grab a different song and some random clips and put a couple of different effects on them and see if it will render okay). If it still does that same thing, then there some deeper WMM issue going on. If it will render all right and not with all the blank spaces, then it was something going on in that particular set of clips and/or song. Are you still working with a very limited amount of space on your hard drive?

LostFreakJ wrote:
Okay, I got a question too.

I was finally ready with a video where I spent a lot of time in, so I try to save it, but it stays 11% and the minutes always go higher and higher.
I tried to save it on a CD, send it to the Web, closing WMM and re-starting again... It all didn't work

I saw someone else on the WMM forum having the same problem, but I don't speak English in real life and I didn't understood it that much. I don't even know if it even worked with that person.

My brother (on the other computer) had once the same problem, but he just let it go and made an other one. That other one had no problems with saving, only that one video had problems...

What do I need to do?

Welcome LostFreakJ! Unfortunately, that's something that happens a lot with WMM. It takes a little work to get around this but sometimes you don't have any other choice. There's probably a "bad" clip or couple of clips in your vid; this is why sometimes WMM will render (save as a movie) a project fine and then you'll try a different one -- with different clips -- and it won't work. There's something about the combination of clips that is giving it a problem. Here's what to try:

1. Make sure you've saved your original project before you do anything and don't resave it with the same name as you do the following steps or you'll lose all your work.

2. Delete the music from the audio timeline.

3. Delete the last half of your vid clips.

4. Try rendering the first half of vid clips without the song or audio (but remember, don't save the project with the same name, just do the save as a movie thing).

5. If that will render, then open your original project again, delete the song again, then delete the first half of the vid clips (the ones you just rendered).

6. If that will render, then open your original project again and this time leave the song but delete all of the vid clips.

7. Import in the 2 rendered parts that you just made and put them on the timeline in place of the clips. Check that they're lined up where they're supposed to be with the music.

8. Render your full vid with those 2 pieces and the song.

It should now work. If you can't get it to do any of these steps, let me know, okay? Hopefully we'll be able to get your vid finally rendered as a .WMV so that it can be uploaded and viewed by other people! Also, if anything I've said is unclear, let me know and I'll try to do better!
LostFreakJ
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick responding, and yes, it works!
I'm going to submit it now!

Thank you!

No credit needed - icon & sig both made by me.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome and I'm so glad that it worked for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: