Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Speed of Sound" by Hobbes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolarBear: thanks, and glad you caught that little smile of Locke's on the plane. I loved how that scene turned out... It was the last one I did since I couldn't think of an idea on what to fill the space with.

Jaime: Now, I wouldn't say THAT but big thanks anyway Good thing you have a little winking face next to that "I suck" thing or I might have to slap you! Don't you dare think that!

Laura: Yay! Good to hear from you Laur'! I hoped my beat-pimping skills would make you proud Yes, those still&moving clips did take a while, but not as long as the procrastination did. Thuis is why I take so many months between videos now I try to do things that take forever, and I don't want to do them, so I procrastinate between them! Glad I still have a Game fan, it's nice to still have one of my "oldie" videos stalked Chose this song because I figured it would be a tough song to make sense of, and I wanted a challenge, and also since I could see a bit of Locke just falling into it. Anyway, come around here more, we'll be waiting! We all miss ya

Why didn't I use this format of response first? oh well, this from now on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dinergirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: wow. Reply with quote

ok. i just found the online world of vidding and this website a couple of weeks ago. and am obsessing over it. this video, hobbes, was so totally cool that i had to register on the forum so i could tell you that.

everyone's been mentioning the animation and everything, which was awesome. i particularly love the transitions...like locke falling out of the wheelchair onto the grass in the different scene-- seamless! i also loved the brightness manipulation you used...especially locke as the beam of light.

so beautiful! thanks for working so hard to entertain geeks like me!
Lostaway
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Heart-breakingly beautiful. Just....wow! It was like watching a dream....soooo beautiful! Life-changing! When Locke was on the plane and you could see the monster out the window, i was like "what?! did i miss that earlier?!" And then he smiles as if he saw it.....Oh, and the ending!!!! *Sighs* I gotta watch that again!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...my...

I completely adored the animations but what really impressed me the most was the story. I don't think I've ever felt so much sympathy for Locke as I did during this vid!

You really matched the lyrics and clips up SO well, particularly at the start with the "How long before I get in?" and we see Locke crouching over the Hatch and looking perplexed. Then the "before I know what it feels like" with him watching the tour van pull away. But especially the "How long do I have to climb upon the side of this mountain of mine?" with him sitting there in his wheelchair, waiting to board with the other "special needs" passengers.

Just the way the music hit with those lines... I mean, I could just feel his quiet humiliation, the strained dignity he was trying to hold onto, then his frustration after being carried on the plane then he couldn't even reach a simple brochure on the floor right next to him... That really, really hit me, even more so than when I saw it on the show, I think!

There were a LOT of great moments, so I hope I can remember them all! I loved the quick cuts to Boone all bloody while the plane was falling out of the tree. Niiiiice!

And ohhhhh boy do I love those white bird animations! *insert heart smiley here* They are SO FREAKIN' COOL!!! When they flew past Sawyer and Michael on the pontoon drifting back to the Island, then I realized they were flying to the light that was radiating out of Locke, I actually backed it up just to watch it all over again right at that moment! Wow. What an awesome visual moment!

Speaking of awesome visual moments... The black smoke crashed the plane! Now the truth can be revealed at last! I actually said, "No way!" when Locke saw it out the plane window beyond Jack, then it went over the wing and the plane started coming apart and Locke just has this "knowing" look... SO COOL! And then the black smoke swallows everything up at the end... So awesome!

You know, I fully expected that whenever I saw this vid completed, that I would spend most of my review discussing the animations. And, admittedly, they're some of the most visually arresting and fascinating (and so thoroughly professional that I'm really trying not to feel all green with envy, I hope you know... J/K! ) animations that I've ever seen. But they would be just that, basically bells and whistles so to speak, if not for the fact that there's a story with real heart to hang these cool effects on. Awesome Effects + A Story With Real Heart = One Killer Vid!

Amazing, amazing work, Warren! THE finest Locke vid I've ever seen (with "The Game" a close second! ). A vid I'll watch time and time again. Most definitely worth the 33 MB and the hours it took to download!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next! No, there's NO rest for such an amazing vidder, I'm sorry to say...

~Aislynn

Well, maybe just a little rest, so you don't get all burned out or anything. Just not as long a "vidding vacation" as last time, hm?
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mama Mia!

Dinergirl: I'm incredibly honoured that you joined the forums just for me, really, I never expected somethng as pleasant as that from this little ol' vid. Thanks for mentioning the transitions and the beam of light thing! That wheelchair to grass thing was actually straight from the show, but I did cut it to fit the guitar beat wanted a "weird" feel, since they were clips from the vision and all. that beam of light thing I just added on a whim, since it a) made sense since the sky was brightening in the next scene to change scenes, and b) it made Locke look just a little evil and greedy, which is what I was going for with those lyrics. "Every chance that you get is a chance you seize" Should satisfy the Locke haters like LC and company, I hope.

Lostaway: "life-changing"? oh dear. Well, if this made you feel for Locke, then click the link in my signature! Thank you for the monstrously kind review!
Quote:
When Locke was on the plane and you could see the monster out the window, i was like "what?! did i miss that earlier?!"

I was soooo hoping for that response! If you ever have a need for that clip, then give me a message and I may be able to part with it... for a price... your SOUL! and some credits

Aislynn: Bout time, I was waiting for hours! I can't believe you downloaded 33MB for me, thank you so much Nicest review ever given, my head might explode

Thank you for giving me exactly what I wanted to hear, that the story shone through despite the flashyness. I don't know whether that's because I expressed my worries that it wouldn't be noticed before you saw the video, or because it's true, but thank you nonetheless, my one wish was to find someone out there that understands Locke and loves him for it like I do, which is why I picked this video. the animations were just filler clips to make up for the parts that wouldn't be fitting to the lyrics since there weren't any lyrics in those orchestra parts!
Quote:
I loved the quick cuts to Boone all bloody while the plane was falling out of the tree.

Thanks! I couldn't fit those in with the lyric before, so I tried just sticking them in there at the beats and hoping that someone noticed why they were there. The Scooby question of the day: "why were they there?"
Quote:
THE finest Locke vid I've ever seen

Sorry, but if this is first, then Ringwench's "Clint Eastwood"'s gotta be the close second. It's only fair

Now, before you get all green with envy on the animations and end up ebing suspected as sick, you should know that most if not all weren't possible without Vegas, and a 3D animation program. The starting scenes from Locke's eye to the trees parting to show the hatch were made by me with good ol' photoshop, chopping up layers oa picture (manually, I might add), making them bigger with my clone brush, then using the Chroma Keyer in Vegas to clear their surroundings. I then used the pan/crop feature to move them around as the music went by. Took a while to do, but a fairly nice effect... lol.
The bird animations were basically the same, except.. well... there were birds in them! Those birds were the product of my first project in Animation 10 last year. Though originally they looked like this:
I took the textures off and made them clear and glassy, then animated them to fly the way I wanted. They couldn't move their wings or anything, but they could... err... move a bit! add in a lens flare to make Locke's light in the distance, and you've got an aniimation!
The monster was another product of my 3D animaiton software, though this one I had to make from scratch.... it's a series of different coloured (black to gray), translucent spheres with the edges pulled out, made to fly around the screen in a certain formation. Add a few effects with Vegas, and it's suddenly a whiff of black smoke! I used the same clip for both the plane and end animaitons. Though in the plane one, I had to do some layerign effects.. chop out the windows, put in the monster, put back the windows under it... that old chestnut.
The hatch light was simple enough, probably not worth mentioning.
Uhh... anything else? I can't remember.

I chose to end with that monster scene because a) it fit the music b) it left room for a cool animation of my interpretation of what Locke saw and c) it's, in my opinion, the most key scene in the show and Locke's character. We won't find it out as easilyas we did "who hitt Sayid", that's for sure. SOmething special happened there, something that gave Locke faith, which is the whole theme of the video... plus, I wanted it to end with the monster flying into the camera! Just plain cool.

Glad to see that my video lived up to the standards Ais' (well, I know you're probably gonna say it's great either way, but I think I can tell when you're lying! ) Us animators have to stick together I think Polarbear wants to join the animation brigade now though... well we'll have to give him the hazing, right?

Quote:

Can't wait to see what you come up with next! No, there's NO rest for such an amazing vidder, I'm sorry to say...

LOL well I'm thinking on my net one... filling out the scenes in my head.. it'll be a lot tougher than this one, I can tell you that much... not as much room for animation and AU I'll keep it a secret from the rest of yu until I decide whether i'll do it or not, but I can say that if I do it, and it turns out right it should be one hell of a celebration for all the Jaters out there. lol

Anyway, enough with my milking it I should go make my video, and stop reading these comments here they're making me all big headed and happy with myself just something you can't do if you seek approval! for a living!
Thanks to all you guys for the great comments. I will be vidding some more.... after a short break
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stealth
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap that was good! Great job Hobbs. Definatly my favorite one that ive seen here at LVI and there are a lot of good vids. I realy loved him smileing when the plane started going down. Also, that was good how you ended it with the monster scene, i think your spot on with how it developed his character. Can't wait for the next one!
~Stealth
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stealth! Yikes... favourite?
Stealth
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair I'v only seen, like, 10, but yes! Favorite!
Not counting my own and the other good ones of course
~Stealth

fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well ..... I am honestly speechless

ok so I'm not gonna write heaps and heaps coz i agree with all of the above and if I write more I think your head might explode

all i am gonna say is

fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s i have no idea who those people are ^^^^^^^^^^
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww, but it's a good feeling when one's head explodes, I'm told
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren did your head explode yet? LOL
You see what i'm talking bout council member getting recognition now?
oh yeah? anyway..since your head already exploded i'll say it again. Awesome awesome vid!!

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
Bearcat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hobbes,

That was an awesome Locke video.

First off Scene Selection: Really really impressive. Even though there are a lot of Locke scenes I'm amazed you could do a nearly 5:00 vid with short scenes and no mouth movement and make every scene fit! Great job on that.

Theme: The theme was probably the best part of the video. You came up with a great theme and followed it all the way through the video which is something that I rarely see. Doing a vid from Locke's PoV about how the island is not evil but a kind of miracle was a great idea. You did an amazing job in showing Locke's sadness before he came to the island.

Song: I don't really like this song but it was a great choice for the theme and feel of the video and an original choice for a Locke vid.

Effects/Animations: This is what really made the vid special for me. You had some great fx like the white fades/flashes and the part where Locke was in there twice. Plus these were well used and didn't seem just thrown in there. My favorite one was the white transition from where they were looking down the hatch. The animations were the best though I've never seen anything like that in a vid before. Those really made the vid special.

PS: Thanks also to Hollywood for giving me the link to this great video.

Bearcat
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate: yep, it did explode, but only a little bit. Council members get as much recognition as anyone! Besides, I'm working on a bit of coding for the site to rectify that problem You'll like it.
Quote:
Awesome awesome vid!!

*POOF* there you go, now it's exploded

Bearcat: Thanks for the very detailed review, and coming to the site just for me (or do oyu plan to stay? Please say you plan to stay. ) I liked this song because it seemed to have a very abstract, but fitting theme to Locke and the island. Glad that I pulled it off so others saw it too
That transition is actually technically an animation lol. big white picture i moved up the screen with some glowing effects.

P.S. Thanks also to Hollywood for giving Bearcat the link to this video
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearcat wrote:
PS: Thanks also to Hollywood for giving me the link to this great video.

You're Welcome Keith.
Warren wrote:
P.S. Thanks also to Hollywood for giving Bearcat the link to this video

LOL You're welcome Warren.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: