Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Desperation Reply with quote

Desperation Movie Update
~Desperation is currently being filmed in Arizona. Mick Garris, whose previous Stephen King projects include Riding the Bullet, The Stand, The Shining, Quicksilver Highway [Chattery Teeth], and Sleepwalkers, wrote the screenplay and is directing this production. Cast members include:
· Ron Perlman as Collie Entragian
· Tom Skerritt as Johnny Marinville
· Steven Weber as Steve Ames
· Matt Frewer as Ralph Carver
· Annabeth Gish as Mary Jackson
· Henry Thomas as Peter Jackson
· Charles Durning as Tom Billingsley
Posted 8 November 2004

Comments on Desperation from Stephen King
"I ordinarily don’t comment far in advance on films based on my work, especially TV films, but in the case of Desperation I am going to make an exception because my old partner in crime, Mick Garris, has produced an extraordinary piece of work, and the ensemble cast is outstanding. Ron Perlman as Collie Entragian will haunt your dreams. You might want to consider making time in May (tentative) for this one, which is when ABC plans to run it."

"One word of warning: this is TV and it’s impossible to tell in advance how much of a given piece of work will be cut. The version of Desperation I saw was graphic and very frightening. This may make the network uneasy."
Stephen King
Posted 23 February 2005

lncase you have no idea what this movie will be about l'll tell ya.
Synopsis
~Located off a desolate stretch of Interstate 50, Desperation, Nevada has few connections with the rest of the world. It is a place, though, where the seams between worlds are thin. Miners at the China Pit have accidentally broken into another dimension and released a horrific creature known as Tak, who takes human form by hijacking some of the town's residents. The forces of good orchestrate a confrontation between this ancient evil and a group of unsuspecting travelers who are lured to the dying town. This rag-tag band of unwilling champions is led by a young boy who speaks to God.

From The Flap
~Nevada is mostly a long stretch of desert you cross on the way to somewhere else. And with someone else, if you're lucky...because it's a scary place. Headed down Route 50 in the brutal summer heat are people who are never going to reach their destinations. Like the Jacksons, a professor and his wife going home to New York City; the Carvers, a Wentworth, Ohio, family bound for a vacation at Lake Tahoe; and aging literary lion Johnny Marinville, inventing a gonzo image for himself astride a 700-pound Harley.

~A dead cat nailed to a road sign heralds the little mining town of Desperation, a town that seems withered in the shade of a man-made mountain known as the China Pit. But it's worse than that, much worse. Regulating the traffic there is Collie Entragian, an outsize uniformed madman who considers himself the only law west of the Pecos. God forbid you should be missing a license plate or find yourself with a flat tire.
There's something very wrong here, all right, and Entragian is only the surface of it. The secrets embedded in Desperation's landscape, and the evil that infects the town like some viral hot zone, are both awesome and terrifying. But as young David Carver seems to know - though it scares him nearly to death to realize it - so are the forces summoned to combat them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
l'am a huge, huge, HUGE Stephen King fan and l can't wait for this miniseries movie. l loved the book so much l've read it twice now and when l first heard about the tv movie l went nuts. l do recommend you read the book first before you watch this movie, lt's awesome and it'll blow your mind it's so good. l loved STORM OF THE CENTURY, ROSE RED, THE DIARY OF ELLEN RIMBAUER, THE SHINING REMAKE, CARRIE REMAKE and of course THE STAND (all tv miniseries based on Stephen King novels). My favourite books of his though are "It", "Dreamcatcher" and "From A Buick 8". But yeah you'll love Desperation if you read it. l guarantee that you'll be hooked from the first chapter, no from the first page, it's that good. l CAN'T WAIT...LOL

Last edited by Hollywood on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cool. I've read that book (and pretty much everything else by Stephen King) it was really good.

I'm almost always dissapointed with TV movies made of Stephen King books though. The only one that was even remotely good was "The Stand" (Rob Lowe as Nick aside. I mean REALLY! Rob Lowe!!!???). I think that was only because it was an 8 hour miniseries which gave it enough time to flesh out the story.

I'm not even going to get into how crappily adapted "It" was (any of you who've both read the books and seen the movie will know what I'm talking about).

I'm probably going to end up watchiing "Desperation" just for the hell of it though. I know I will. Then I'll just complain about how poorly done it was.

*sigh*

Watching a Stephen King tv movie is like going on a date with someone you've only known through letters. He was so eloquent and exciting on paper. But you finally see him in the flesh and he's suddenly ugly and stupid.

Or something like that. Yeah.

I've turned into such a tv cynic lately it's not even funny so don't mind me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stephen King's Desperation to air on abc Reply with quote

Holly_baby84 wrote:

l'am a huge, huge, HUGE Stephen King fan. My favourite books of his though are "It", "Dreamcatcher" and "From A Buick 8". But yeah you'll love Desperation if you read it. l guarantee that you'll be hooked from the first chapter, no from the first page, it's that good. l CAN'T WAIT...LOL

What about the almight Dark Tower. Best EVER!!

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l havn't read all the Dark Tower Books yet. l've started the first one a couple of times because my sister says l have to read it but whenever l attempt to read it l get bored so easily. l want to read it, l do it's just that it's kinda slow for me, it's not like his other ones that just hook you on the first page.

OK lets see, l'm reading Misery right now so after that book l'll force myself sit down and read the Gunslinger. How's that sound...lol
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to understand that The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1) was one of the very first things he ever had written, so wasn't quite as polished as he is now. I recommend getting the new revised edition of that novel, or just forcing yourself through book one, or simply start at book 2, Drawing of the Three, and read the summary of book 1 at the beginning.

The series REALLY picks up on Book 2 and is non stop until the end. It is ENTIRELY worth every page and you will thank me later. Trust me.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some new production photos of Desperation.
Got them from the Stephen King official site.
Here's the link.
http://www.stephenking.com/pages/works/Desperation/movie.php
l love the pic with the cat nailed to the highway sign...lol

Also check out Lilja's Library Desperation for more production photos and latest news updates.
http://www.liljas-library.com/desperation.html

Updates:
Despite what you may have read elsewhere, Mick Garris' ABC telemovie version of Stephen King’s DESPERATION won’t be airing during this May’s sweeps period. "We don’t deliver until June, and ABC has used up their promotional budget for the season, so it ain’t going to be pushed for May," Garris tells Fango. "It’s possibly going to be November. Or the following February…or May 2006."

Advance word on DESPERATION, which the author himself praised at www.stephenking.com, is running high. "Both King and the network got the finished cut, and both are extremely enthusiastic," adds Garris, who begins prepping his next dream project, the all-star MASTERS OF HORROR series, tomorrow in Vancouver. —Tony Timpone, Fangoria.com

I talked to Mick Garris today about King's comments on Desperation and he said that they had gotten a reaction from the network, and that they absolutely love the film, and none of the violence that King mentions in his piece is going to be lost. How about that?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So Cool
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Ok you all probably already know that I'm a huge obsessed fan of Stephen King (yes, I'm a SK geek ) and I'm SO excited for this movie.
Anyway, my sister just told me that abc has started airing the trailer or teaser or whatever for Desperation. I haven't seen it yet and the abc site doesn't have it up either and I was just wondering if anyone's seen it yet? and if it looks good? or at least does it look anything like the book?
I'm dying to see this trailer and movie so bad. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: