Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site policy change vote: Speed vs quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Speed vs. Quality
SPEED: fast upload to site but LESS filtering for clip theft and bad links
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
QUALITY: slow upload to site but MORE filtering for clip theft and bad links
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Site policy change vote: Speed vs quality Reply with quote

We in the council are debating some policy changes and we'd like to get input from all of you on some of the key issues that would most effect all of you.

This ties into the bad links issue a bit but it's more along the lines of quality. If we go through and upload vids as soon as they hit the site they get out there for people to see quicker but it puts up a risk of clip theft videos getting through more often along with bad link vids and potentially who knows what else.

If we go through each vid before uploading it to the site then all of you have less a chance of getting caught up in a clip theft issue with a vid or bad links or whatever else could sli through otherwise.

Warren I know has an argument for quick uploads but I am strongly for quality over speed. This whole issue largely effects you guys since yo're the ones we're providing the service to so please vote and have a say in a potential policy change to the site.

Please after you vote let us know your thoughts on it because if you don't speak up we won't know what you, the people this service is being offered to, think on the whole issue. You have the chance to vote so take the opportunity to do so.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see they both have their advantages and disadvantages. THe one thing about the SPEED method is that yes, the videos wouldn't be screened immediately before becoming available, but would rather be available, and then be screened for those things as they're being voted on. It means larger chance of non-working videos or clip theft initially, but it also means much less of a wait for videos when they're added to the site. It also does NOT affect Council Picks and such whatsoever. Those will not be faster or slower.

And now that I have said my peace, I am interested in the outcome of this poll! Vote!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't have a lot to do with the question above, but here is my opinion.

I remember when we had to wait for a vid to be JUDGED before it was put up at all because back then no vid got on the site that wasn't "accepted" and then later given a "CP." I personally was more excited to watch vids when they had gone through that process. I certainly don't mind waiting for a bare bones once over from one of you guys.

I don't want to be a jerk, and how can I be considering the fact that all of my most recent vids have gotten a big 'ole "reject" stamp on 'em but I sometimes wish that the site didn't list every vid submitted. They were all quality great vids and you just knew that ahead of time. So any video you watched, whether it be a Jack vid, Locke vid, or a friggen Vincent vid you knew was gonna be good regardless. I'm not suggesting you guys go back, I'm just saying that I'm willing to WAIT for the good stuff if you know what I mean.

Anyway, blah blah blah blah KC's talking again. Hit mute.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
Anyway, blah blah blah blah KC's talking again. Hit mute.

No,don't hit mute. You made some very good quality statements and I agree with you on all of them. I really did like it when you knew that every vid on the site was quality and I'm fully for taking the time to do things right instead of just rushing it and allowing clip theft vids or bad links or whatever else on teh site. To agree with Warren for a second yes the speed plan will get eveyrthing on the site and it can be fixed by the vidder then. Now onto the negative side of that, people that might be interested in maybe watching that vid get to be disappointed and we're not really offering those people a service.

If it's not obvious I'm strongly for quality over speed and if we can get back the quality we had during the old process then over time we can work back to speeding that process up. But again I want to hear what everyone thinks because this is a decision that will ultimately end up effecting all of you so please speak up and encourage others to get in here and do the same. It's your chance to have a say.

www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KC! All you've gotta do is check the COuncil Pick page for the old LVI The difference is now instead of hosting on LVI where the videos are guarenteed to work, we've got random hosters at Putfile and whatnot that mean not as reliable service, but it does mean we can hold the capacity that we do.
If what you want is to watch quality videos then all you need to do is keep your eye on the Council Pick page, we will get the videos judged, and then you merely have to look through there to find the best of the best
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
If what you want is to watch quality videos then all you need to do is keep your eye on the Council Pick page, we will get the videos judged, and then you merely have to look through there to find the best of the best

But if we do a better job of filtering out the bad links and clip theft vids people won't have to be as worried about what they are about to watch or if they will even be able to watch it.

www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're not able to watch it immediately no harm no foul and they can just skip the video for that time, and post a request for a new link. And if they're worried about what they're watching, then I doubt Clip Theft is the worry of a viewer, it's more the worry of the vidder who got stolen from. I'd much rather watch a well-done clip theft video than a bad clean video... In fact it makes no difference to me as a viewer. However, if the video has my clips in it then I'd do what we've always done: send a moderator a message, and then they can check it out. But since the vids will still get a look over while they vote in just a few days after this anyway it probably wouldn't work out like that unless I was watching the absolute newest videos posted to the site. However, it would mean that when I sent my video in, I wouldn't have to wait for a council member to get around to posting it

Of course, this conversation is kinda hypothetical anyway, because videos can't be auto-posted, or we might attract spammers (no, not our beloved kinds of spammers the malicious kind!) who could screw up the site with videos that aren't actually videos, which is why we have the staging area.

But that last comment of mine wasn't meant to continue the arguement, more to comment on KC's longing for good ol' LVI 3.0, and to push the new Council Pick page

Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where you both disagree, but I've got to go with Lostcalier on this one. I've already voted in the poll. Quality over quantity is always better. My CP discussion was more or less to illustrate that I'm "OKAY" with waiting.

One thing that makes LVI stand out is quality and a real thought to what users will want, without sacrificing the integrity of the site. "Now, now, now!" Is not my motto and nor do I think it should ever be LVI's.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semi-condoning clip theft Warren *shakes head* I do think things need to be speeded up but I don't think we have to hurry links through we can just delete them if they don't work. In putting them through aren't we just delaying them anyways cause we will have to vote on them eventually. It only really benefits the vidder and if the link is broke it's usually their fault.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
semi-condoning clip theft Warren *shakes head*

LOL
Ever read Jake's post on the matter?
I have sen a number of good clip theft vids though. It's a shame the vidders had to use other people's clips when if they'd just asked for them they could be great. tsk....

So let me ask one straight question here:

Does anyone have a problem with waiting a while, like a few days, for their video to be posted, or is it all worth it knowing that the video was reviewed by judge to make sure it worked before making it available for download?

If the answer is completely no all around, then forgive me, because I was under the impression that this was a big problem, and I've always felt guilty for not having the time to watch and add these videos immediately when I see them sent in.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there are some people who want their vids posted right away without the wait. They just haven't been here yet to voice their opinions.
Di
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I voted Quality on this one...

It's kinda frustrating when we have to wait a few days for a video to be added, but in my opinion, the more chances of minimizing clip theft and the like the better. I feel much better watching a vid without having to worry wether it's got my clips in it or not, and it allows me to watch the video and enjoy it for itself.
Of course I never worried about this when watching LVI vids before, but anyway... if we go for speed over quality then I'd have to, at least to a point.

By the way, it's great that you're making this discussion public. It concerns everyone on the site, so we should all know what's going on and give our opinion.

But how is this speed/quality thing working right now? I thought the vids were viewed by the council before posting already...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di wrote:
But how is this speed/quality thing working right now? I thought the vids were viewed by the council before posting already...

They are still being viewd before being put on the site but not to the extent they need to be. Before I post a video I watch it all the way through but of lately some videos have been slipping through to the site after it has just been glanced at. Obviously that is a problem that came about due to excessive entries and for many it was a time saving feature. But to hold onto the integrity of the site it is obvious that something needed to change hench this whole discussion of what you guys want.

This is an important matter and I think that it only fair that all of our members and vidders have the opportunity to have a say in it. Without all of you there would no site so I felt it only fair to give all of you this opportunity to play a part in a decisiont hat will effect the whole site and the service we offer you.

www.lostvideo.net
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im for quality- there has to be a happy medium in between. What I do, is make, in my vidding program, the most gigantic, best quality version thats possible. Then I run it through Dr. Divx and depending on length, I can get it from 10mb-15mb.

As for the waiting, we could let everyone's videos in- but it would be chaos. Links wouldnt work, people would be angry over theft, and I believe our quality control would plummet. I have to go with LC on this one.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely quality control.

Unless you are a novice who doesn't understand about clips and the amount of time and work it takes to get just the right one there is no excuse for it ... but we all know about this... The tighter the control the better. Unfortunately I also see that this would place a much higher burden on all the screeners.

If it seems like a problem or it becomes ridiculous with the sheer number of entries and since I don't know how often all you councilmembers check on the vids (2 -3 times a week) the number can definitely add up. Perhaps a call for volunteers to be "clip theft screeners." Just a thought in case it was getting out of control.

BTW I'm very impressed with this whole LVI site and the huge jumps it made since I first came here. A lot of great innovations from the HTML side.

Keep up the great work LVI Council!

My lost music vids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: