Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sceen size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J@cKiE23
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: sceen size Reply with quote

srry if this question has already been posted.

some videoclips that im using have different sizes and when i put them all together it looks really bad becasue it goes from widesrceen to fullscreen and it makes ur eyes hurt watching it. how do i make them the same size

thx
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, unless you have a program like Sony Vegas that can (I think! ) crop and otherwise do magical things to the aspect ratio, there's only two options I really know of if you're using Windows Movie Maker.

You can just try to live with it and do your best to group the widescreen and the full frame ones together as much as possible to try to keep from flipping quickly back and forth between the two.

Or, if you're feeling very adventurous, you can look here:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=28889

This explains how to create a custom effect in WMM that will basically widescreen a full frame clip. So you can apply this effect to all of the clips you have in your vid that are full frame and this will make them match the widescreen clips a little better.

Sorry there's not an easier answer. Good luck with whatever you do!
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using Windows Movie Maker, just follow these simple steps.

Go to Tools--> Options--> Advanced.

Then for Aspect Ratio, pick either 4:3 or 16:9 and then click Save.

Now, all of your clips should be the same size.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bizarre but that won't work for me for some reason. That was the first thing I tried when my clips got messed up and even if I would render the full framed ones, for example, into the 16:9 widescreen size, they'd still come out in 4:3 full frame every time!

Never have figured out why that is. 'Cause otherwise what good is that whole changing the aspect ratio thing, right??? I've found it just changed the preview size but not the finished rendered size, even though that's what it says it does.
J@cKiE23
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks for ur help well this is my first vid and im really trying to make it into the best i can but, i keep bumping into problems like this one

i tried both of ur suggestions but when i tried to change the ratios of the fullscreen, i got really excited because i thought it worked but it only made it alitte smaller and it was still alot bigger than the widescreen. and when i tried to change the widescreen to a 4:3 ratio, windows movie maker said it was already in a 4:3 ratio and i couldnt make it any bigger.

when i read that one website on how to make them smaller the first couple of words confused me

it said this:

Quote:
1) Create a custom effect using PIP+ that rescales the video to a rectangle.

how do i do that?

thx again
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
It's bizarre but that won't work for me for some reason. That was the first thing I tried when my clips got messed up and even if I would render the full framed ones, for example, into the 16:9 widescreen size, they'd still come out in 4:3 full frame every time!

Never have figured out why that is. 'Cause otherwise what good is that whole changing the aspect ratio thing, right??? I've found it just changed the preview size but not the finished rendered size, even though that's what it says it does.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it might be the format. It's right above aspect ratio. Mine is NTSC.

*does 200 post dance*
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J@cKiE23 wrote:
when i read that one website on how to make them smaller the first couple of words confused me

it said this:

Quote:
1) Create a custom effect using PIP+ that rescales the video to a rectangle.

how do i do that?

Oops, sorry. I forgot to mention that it was step # 2. PIP+ is a program that you have to buy. The second option is for creating an XML effect. You have to create a new folder inside of WMM and then you copy and paste the XML code into that. Proceed with caution if the instructions that they give don't make sense... I've tried a couple of XML effects for WMM and, as far as I know, the worst thing that would happen is for the effect to just not work.

BUT keep in mind that you'll be copying code from somebody you don't know and putting it into WMM. Just something to be careful of, in my opinion. As I said, though, I've used the one for widescreening your clips and haven't had any problem with it. It's just a good idea to be careful, you know?

phoenix39 wrote:
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it might be the format. It's right above aspect ratio. Mine is NTSC.

Hm, so is mine... I did a quick test rendering of a full frame clip and changing it to 16:9 through the Tools, Option, Advanced method. It DID come out rendered in 16:9 when viewed in Media Player. But the problem was in importing it back into WMM (as if I wanted to use it as a widescreen clip with my other already widescreen clips). If I left WMM on 16:9, then it squashed my already widescreened clips even more. But if I put it back to 4:3, then the clip I JUST widescreened goes back to full frame...

Oy. I never did get this figured out! Sorry not to be of more help but this is something that completely kicked my butt and I never did figure out a good solution to it, other than that XML effect.

Good luck!

PS - *celebrates 200th post with Jane!*
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about rendering the 16:9 clip by itself and then putting in the vid with 4:3 clip?
J@cKiE23
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
It's just a good idea to be careful, you know?

lol yea i know what u mean
i followed the instructions until it asked me to:

Quote:
Choose to place a title on the selected clip.

Look in the section of two-line titles and choose this new 'Widescreen bars (16:9 > 4:3)'.

Click 'Done'

how do i place a title on a clip?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J@cKiE23 wrote:
i followed the instructions until it asked me to:

Quote:
Choose to place a title on the selected clip.

Look in the section of two-line titles and choose this new 'Widescreen bars (16:9 > 4:3)'.

Click 'Done'

how do i place a title on a clip?

Sorry I didn't get back here yesterday... Anyway, this widescreen effect isn't in with the effects or transitions, strangely enough, it's in with the titles. So what you do is click the clip you want to widescreen, then go to Tools - Titles - Add title ON the selected clip in the timeline - bypass writing any words in the title field and click Change the title animation - scroll down under Two-line titles to "Widescreen bars (16:9 > 4:3) Blackout top and bottom. Then click Done and ou should see that the clip now has the widescreen bars at the top and the bottom, hopefully making it more in line with the other widescreen clips.

You'll have to do this for every full frame clip that you want to look widescreen. Or you can take all of your full frame clips, put them on the timeline, apply the effect to all of them and render them like that. Then you can import them back into WMM and use them instead of your original full frame clips.

Something to keep in mind, if you apply this effect to a full frame clip, then fade that clip into one that was already widescreen, it's tricky to get the effect lined up just right (you can click the effect and then trim or stretch it to fit the clip). If the effect crosses over into the already widescreen clip, it will squash it into a flat line. If you cut the effect off right before the two clips fade together, then the clip will "pop" back out into full frame as they fade together. So, it takes a bit of working to get it the way you might want it. (In this case, it's probably easiest to just not try to fade those particular clips together.)

It's a lot of work to render all of your clips with that effect on it (and will cause the quality of those clips to go do a bit, unfortunately) but will save you from having clips that pop in and out of full frame if you want to fade them with a widescreen one.

I hope this all makes any sort of sense... I'm sorry it's such a confusing thing!
J@cKiE23
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thank you sooooo much!!!!
I got it to work and it looks so much better, because the clips are pretty fast at some parts and its kind of annoying to watch them flip from big to small.
i think i understand what ur talking about with the fade thing.
i guess i just got to be really percise

thx again youve been so mush help
and thank phoenix39 for your help too. i think if all of my clips were full screen and i wanted them to be widescreen that would have worked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: