Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken links on videos

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think we should do about broken links?
don't put it on the site, we don't want a video listed we can't watch
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
post it to the site then disqualify it from a CP and move on, let the vidder get to it when they can
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
delete it from the submit area and notify the vidder
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
delete it from the submit area and don't notify the vidder
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
let it sit around indefinitely waiting for the vidder to do something before it can be voted on slowing down the voting CP process for everyone else after 7 days if the vidder has not replaced the link
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Broken links on videos Reply with quote

As most of you know picapic a program that hosted a lot of our videos no longer works. Which has left us with a lot of vids with broken links in our submit area and a greater number of broken links already on the site. Not to mention services link YSI that only last for a week. We're looking for input from all of you so we can see what you guys think is most fair on your end. For us it's just an amount of work issue but for you guys its an issue of the quality of service we provide you with. So we'd like to know what your thoughts on the issue are. Please vote and if you have any further thoughts please post them. This is your chance to let the council know where you stand on an impending policy change.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net

Last edited by lostcalier on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:27 am; edited 2 times in total
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone please vote and encourage others to vote on this issue. This is your opportunity to have a say in a policy change ont he site. We will take into account the results of the poll when we make our final decision on the issue.

www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
let it sit around indefinitely waiting for the vidder to do something before it can be voted on slowing down the voting CP process for everyone else

SHOULD BE
Post the video to the site, then disqualify it from a CP after 7 days if the vidder has not replaced the link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
SHOULD BE
Post the video to the site, then disqualify it from a CP after 7 days if the vidder has not replaced the link.

Except that is already an option.

www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
SHOULD BE

Except that is already an option.

where?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for "delete it from the submit area and notify the vidder." A simple template email letter should do the trick for the notifications, but if that turns out to be too much work, then I'd think just delete it and don't notify. Might sound a bit harsh but there's really no use in putting up a vid that can't be watched. The word should be getting out now to just about everybody who uses Picapic, so they should be aware that those links don't work anymore.

It's kinda up to we vidders to make sure that people can see our vids, I think. There's a LOT of free hosting places out there now. There should be at least ONE of the more "permanent" ones that will work for everybody. If not, then if YSI is the only place that will work, there's always somebody here who'd be willing to download the vid and try for a better link for it. I certainly understand having uploading troubles (BOY, do I understand! ) but it doesn't make much sense to use YSI as your primary link. All that usually gets is a string of people asking for a new link once that one has expired.

Only my opinions, of course. But since you asked...I answered.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya, sorry to go into the arguement, but I'd like to point out some problems with that method. If it weren't for these I would be for it too, but they change things:

1) A video "not working" would be relative to who saw the video and determined the video doesn't work. This means to someone on IE might not get it working, while it works on Firefox.

2) Sometimes it's not the vidder's fault, such as if Putfile takes it off for including illegal content which they seem to do randomly.

3) Lots of work to send emails to a lot of people, and if we don't it's very likely that anyone who's video isn't up in a day or two is goign to worry that something was wrong with their video and send us PMs to check on their video to make sure it's working and whatnot, kinda eliminating the option to back out of sending them. I already get roughly 4 of these a day for other things, I'd hate to see what can happen when newcommers are worried about their videos being deleted

4) Most people affected by this are probably not what you'd call "computer competent" and likely newcommers to the vidding scene. This makes it another step necessary for them to get their video online, and may discourage or make it impossible for those who have a lot of trouble with out conventional reliable hosters like Putfile.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
1) A video "not working" would be relative to who saw the video and determined the video doesn't work. This means to someone on IE might not get it working, while it works on Firefox.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about vids that you might still have in there that had totally defunct Picapic links. My bad. Teaches me to get assertive. I really do "namby-pamby" a LOT better!

Just hated that nobody non-Council had given an opinion so thought I'd give mine. You guys really know the "nuts and bolts" of what all you have to go through with the vids so it's kinda hard for people like me who don't really know what makes things harder for you to vote on something like this, you know?

So, uh, never mind!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Your opinion is still very-much appreciated! Just giving the counter-arguement to your very well put arguement.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep this going Warren no changes will be made without noting them on the main site. If "newbies" are having a problem then they can contact us because that's what we're here for and if they are worried it's just a simple "it's there and will be up soon" type message to put them at ease.

As I've said to you ebfore we have 8 council members for a reason and if need be I can designate someone e-mail sender. I don't know but it isn't that big of an issue to send an e-mail or for me to even write up generic ones.

As for that final issue about people having trouble I again state that as the councl we're here to help those people and if we post there bad vids then they won't contact us because they may not catch on to the problem. A lot of people just submit the vid then don't check back on it. At least this way they will know there is a problem and we can help them from there.

Just my thoughts on it all.

Aislynn thank you for all your thoughts and I strongly encourage everyone else to chime in because the more varying opinions we have the better for making a final decision.

www.lostvideo.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: