Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial Reply with quote

Note: You're in the right thread if you have a new question about Sony Vegas. If you just want to browse the answers and other tutorials already written in this thread, please see the Sony Vegas All-In-One Help Thread. Again, if you have a new question, please post it here in this thread.

Sony Vegas Video Tutorial by Pauly

Importing the video files

The first thing you will need to do to start your video is import the clips or episodes of Lost. Unfortunately Vegas doesn't like avis too much but there is a way around having Vegas crash on you when importing avis. That is by changing the FourCC Code of the avi files.

Download AVI FourCC Code changer from here:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml

Extract the zip file and run the program.

Open up your avi file using the explorer button in the program and enter "DIVX" in both boxes. Click apply and your avi file should now be able to be imported into Vegas. Alternatively you can encode the avis to a high end MPEG or WMV format.

The Trimmer

This is the tool you will use in Vegas to cut clips out you want to use from the movie files. Right click on the episode/clip you want to edit and click "Open in Trimmer." Hold down the left mouse button and drag it along and you can highlight a section of the space on the trimmer. Zoom in and out by using the mouse wheel. You can preview the selected clip in the preview window by using the play functions at the bottom of the trimmer. Once you're satisfied click the Create Subclip button (see pic) and name it if you want. Your clip has now been added to the project media tab.

The Timeline

At the top of the screen there is a timeline which is where you edit your video. Select the clip you just made and place it onto the timeline. You have created two layers. The top one is the video and the bottom is the audio. I will get rid of the audio layer as when making a music video you shouldn't usually need the sound from an episode. Add your song underneath the video clip and it will come up as an audio layer.

Basic Video Effects

Notice how the clip looks rather dark in the small window. Let's brigten it up! Select the Video effects tab and the Brightness and Contrast Video effect. Change the setting of the preview window from draft to preview so that you get a better idea of how it will look. Change the brightness and contrast levels until you are happy with it.

Creating Transitions

When you have a few clips in order on the timeline you will probably want to add some transitions to make your video flow better or to highlight a beat in the song etc. Click on the transitions tab. The most common type of transitons are Cross-Fade, Linear Wipe and Flash. Cross Fade will let you fade between different clips or fade into/from black. This is the generic transition in Vegas and doesn't appear in the transitions tab. Linear wipe lets you wipe away a particular scene onto another one from any angle. Flash is very useful to highlight an important beat in the song.

Using the Crossfade transition

The easist way to create transitions is to put automatic crossfades on. Turn it on by selecting the appropiate button on the toolist at the top (see pic.)

Hold down the left mouse button on the clip and drag it along over the clip you want to create a transtion with. This will have created the generic cross fade transition. You can replace it with any other transition if you want and it wil stay the same length you selected.

Cropping, Panning and Rotating

This is a very useful function when avoiding the dreaded credits that come up on certain clips. You are able to zoom in on a particular clip and cut out the credits from it. Select the Event Pan/Crop function at the end of a clip (see pic.)

Move the cursor over the bottom of the square and hold the left mouse button down and drag it towards you and from you to zoom in and out. You can also rotate the clip by selecting the corners of the square and moving it around. You can pan across the clip by selecting the middle of the square and moving it around.

General Editing Tips

Speeding up and slowing down: The easist way to speed up and slow down a clip is to hold down ctrl when dragging a clip to extend or shorten it.

Splitting Clips: Pressing 's' will split a clip in two.

Last edited by Polarbear on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Just what the new Vegas user needs! I added it into the text guides section already.

One question though: in your "The Trimmr" section, it looks like the audio is working for your video clips of Lost How did you get that working? Or did it just work from the beginning? Because I've never been able to get audio from the show without pre-rendering it somewhere else first. It works on WMM and WMP, ad I have Divx and all that jazz.... hmmm....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those sado-masochists (sp?) who converted all his lost eps to 2 meg WMVS Yeah I don't think audio works with avi files. I used a wmv episode for the tutorial cause it was easier.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL oh okay. How long did that take to convert them all btw?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my desktop it takes me around an hour and a half per episode to encode it.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, thanks!
crazymol4588
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a life saver, Paul! I'm a Vegas newbie so I'm still trying to figure things out.

I do have a question, though: How do you creat the effect where you have 2 clips overlapping but faded together. Like if someone was having a thought bubble and I wanted to show the other person on the side of the screen.

Did that even make sense?

As featured on the Entertainment Weekly Website:
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/03/get_lost_in_bro.html
crazymol4588
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind! I figured it out all by my onesies.

As featured on the Entertainment Weekly Website:
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/03/get_lost_in_bro.html
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha go you. Yeah I tried to keep the tutorial as basic as possible so I didn't want to get into overlapping videos but yeah you just create a new video track on top of the original and you pan out and use cookie cutter to cut out any edges and such.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tut is awesome Pauly, wow! Great Job.
Now if only this was around back when I first got my Vegas 6. Took me friggin' forever to figure out how to use it. lol.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

How do you make 2 videos play at once, like in ordinary world, by polar bear, where like one is on one side and the other is on the other side, but they dont like fade in they just play together?

did that make any sense??

visit my site and watch all my videos at :
http://lostobsession.co.nr
Harry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you use cookie cutter for that.... um Pauly can probably explain it better.... lol
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to make two video lines one on top of the other. Then you need to put cookie cutter on the one you want to manipulate and you can cut out a part of the vid with a shape like a circle or an oval or multiple shapes so you can cut out the background. Altenatively you can just make them split screen by using the square shape and moving it across so it creates a line down one of the sides of the clips and then to resize it its best to use a lil button on the video line toolbar. I forgot what its called now but it lets you move and resize the whole video timeline.

It's pretty complicated though I should do another tutorial just for that. I think Harry used to have one somewhere didn't you though? Be cool if you could post that
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for this tutorial!!!!

I only just got Vegas 6 and even though it looks *exactly* like the program I was using before, there's just so many new stuff on this that I got lost pretty easy there.

Also thanks for the avi help! I'm gonna try this now. I sure hope it works! Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
saraheartsvids

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: changing file Reply with quote

okay so i'm using sony vegas right now and i'm really happy with what it did with my video. but now whenever i try to save the video it saves it as an sfk file, which doesn't play on windows media player and i can't upload it onto any of the websites...do you know how to make it a wmv file or something else that will actually play? i'm at my wit's end!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 1 of 53

Jump to: