Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's revive LVI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aradnea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Let's revive LVI Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I was just thinking how sad I am that LVI is slowly dying. Less and less comments appear under the videos, there are no more contests and overall it feels... well, dead.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm part of the problem myself. I'm not commenting so much any more and I haven't entered a contest in a very long time.

It's not because I don't love LVI, it's because I simply don't have time or energy to do so. And I know that many of you are in the same shoes.

I know that Council is doing their best, but without members, there's only so much they can do.

So... This is a call to arms, my fellow LVI members. Let's revive LVI. The home to a lot of great vidders, the place where many of us took our first steps in the vidding world. The place where a bunch of crazy people came together to create a loving, understanding and creative community.

People are still adding videos, so that means we still need LVI, right?

First order of business - comment comment comment. Of course we are vidding for the joy of vidding itself, but we love some feedback, don't we all?

And for our lovely Council - I have a shy suggestion that maybe it's time to change the layout and graphics? Make it look a bit more fresh?

Let's advertise too. On youtube, facebook, anywhere, everywhere

Are you in?

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, Ali.

I know I haven't been as active in commenting or viding recently, but I am working to get caught back up on vids. I hope to also start posting more vids.

I agree, this is a great community. It's really wonderful to have a place where you can post vids and get real constructive feedback.

I have learned so much as a vidder from both watching vids here and from the help I have received in the artistic and technical forums.

I know this is "video" island but I know alot of us enjoy writing fanfics and doing fan art as well so I think we should also share more of our work in those areas in the Fan Art section.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here!

I agree, it would be great to get that fandom spirit back here. Perhaps more discussion on current TV obsessions and sharing other creative works would help drum up some enthusiasm
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I've been slacking so badly on commenting on videos. I have just been so busy lately, and haven't felt good enough to actually sit down and give them all a full watch. But I'm definitely going to try to do better.

I agree with Macalia. We should definitely start posting more fan-art and fan-fiction type stuff again, and talk more about our other TV obsessions. I think that would really liven the place up again.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just commenting but voting as well. I've had some comment and leave glowing comments but never vote and it's always made me self doubt my vids.

Another thing is I think you need to advertise this place like you said but also they need to advertise that it's not just a "LOST" themed site and that it's more.

I agree on the graphics. The site is looking a little dated but I think that's the least of it's worries.

I think more contests need to happen, not just the monthly contests. I think the contests need to be different because some of the contests feel the same.

But I think as others have stated people are just busy. During the school year I work 2 jobs and work 6 days a week. I love to vid and visit here but I just never seem to find the time.

But I'm on-board with reviving LVI.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to see this! It would be awesome for LVI to get back in action!

Commenting on vids is always great, and more fan art and fan fiction would definitely get some dicussion going!

We love hearing yall's suggestions for what might liven up the site, and we are always working on things that we can hopefully implement and breathe new life into LVI.
aradnea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also clean up a bit. There are a lot of old topics that we could throw to some sort of archive.
It's very difficult to move around even for me, and I've been here for 7 years

And what would you say about challenges with rounds? One main subject and different rounds. We've all seen them all over youtube. Some of us even hosted one.

As for the graphics - aside from the layout (I know nothing about HTML) I could try to create new banners if you agree

Guzik90ab
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ali of course!
1. I think she should get an 'admin' rank or something if she's ready to commit and make some changes.
2. I don't know what is where in this forum. The site is more clear to me, so I never even visit the forum. Some cleanup is necessary.
3. graphic? sure it's always better with warm, welcoming pictures.
4. I'm okay with contest but maybe we should also think about some topic or place where we could focus on collabs? hosting collabs is always a great way to gather people.
5. and I admit, I'm lazy. I watch videos and give likes but I'm too lazy to write a comment. I admire people who always commenting on lvi. So maybe they deserve some gratitude too?
Like funny rank 'best commenter of the month', 'the sweeter commenter of the week'? I don't know xD
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's pretty touching to see a thread like this. It's been 10 years since I came to LVI - back when I was just a 16-year-old - and it's pretty cool to see people still caring about it these days as much as I did back then.

So, I'm going to tip the Council's hand here and hope they'll forgive me. I've basically been retired around here for years so they're kinda my eyes and ears and bosses when I am back and anything needs coding/doing - but I'll say this now because who knows how long it'll be til I'm back. Soon - not sure how long, probably in the next few months - I'll be back here and we'll be undertaking some major site redesigning. We've been chatting about ideas and directions for the "new" site for a while, and we'll have to wait and see how many are possible, but at the very least - a visual redesign, forum modernizing, and various other improvements are on the table. You're going to get a new site, made to the very best of my abilities, aimed at being a [primarily] vidding site for all fandoms.

That said, I admit there's only so much a new website can do. If there's no community left here by the time this is built - or worse, if the vidding community at large has dwindled down to nothing (as we've been noticing ) - then a shnazy new site isn't going to change things. So the best thing we can do, really, is to use the tools and friends we have and give people a reason to vid. That starts as simply as more votes and comments on vids, or reaching out from LVI to other smaller vidding communities around the internet to affiliate and join in and celebrate our craft together. But fan art, fan fiction, collaborative videos - all great ideas too (I'm still waiting for some overly-ambitious crew to make "Lost: The Movie"), and the new site will definitely include them all. A small group of dedicated people + the internet can do a lot, so if you guys are serious about keeping this vidding community spirit alive then I/we am/are excited to hear your ideas for what this site should be, and if you'll wait patiently I'll build you all the tools you need to make them so. 'Fraid I do run at a bit of a glacial pace still, unfortunately. Such is life. But I still love LVI, and you vidders, so this is happening even if it takes forever and there are only 10 people left to enjoy it.

Keep posting your ideas, and keep that LVI spirit alive . This is our site, and as long as there are people who care about it, it will survive!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been more of a lurker since university overtook most of my vidding time and I think this post came at a perfect time to kick my bum back into fandom mode. I'm all for helping to revive the site and I think it's a testament to the site and the community that there are still people coming up with ideas to help it evolve after all these years.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aradnea wrote:

And what would you say about challenges with rounds? One main subject and different rounds. We've all seen them all over youtube. Some of us even hosted one.

I second this.
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the videos awaiting votes section and some of those have been on the site for over a year and still haven't received 5 votes. I think if we want to get this place going again, getting people voting is essential!
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! It's so important to take the time to watch/comment/vote on other members' vids. After all, we're here to share our vids with each other, and if no one is taking the time to watch and appreciate them, part of the fun of posting is gone. So, yes, do some vid watching/commenting/voting.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Voting and commenting is the core of what makes LVI special.
namaste nikki
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited to be back and active again. I do truly enjoy LVI. I was wondering as I have been gone is there a thread on why the contest have stopped? I was assuming not many were submitting for them but, wanted to ask as I did not see any info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: