Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 CMs' Choice Winners!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: 2014 CMs' Choice Winners! Reply with quote

There were so many awesome videos submitted in the past year! In place of our regular annual tournament, each Council Member has chosen 3 videos that stood out to her. Videos that were submitted between October 1st, 2013 - September 30th, 2014 were eligible. Congratulations to all the winners!

Last edited by Uruviel on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi-Characters; Light'em Up by tjmack1986

Light’em Up is a fast-paced, action-packed vid. The beat use is excellent, which is one of my favorite things in videos. I really like multi-fandom videos, and I have always thought they are pretty hard to make. Tammy has done an awesome job with this one! The Hunger Games, Vampire Diaries, and Once Upon A Time are some of my favorite fandoms and they are all well-represented in this vid. This is cool, rockin vid that is really fun to watch!

The Reckless Young by Brooke

The Reckless Young is an interesting and well-done AU vid. Brooke has shown some great manip skills to tell the story. The audio is also moves the story along, and this video also has very pretty coloring. It is cool to see characters from different fandoms brought together in an AU vid. This is a lovely and creative vid!

Francis&Mary | Say Something by BWQBProdz

Say Something is an absolutely beautiful vid about one of my favorite fandoms, Reign! BWQBProdz’s vids are always gorgeous and entertaining. The song choice is perfect for Mary & Francis, and the quotes throughout the vid are very well-done. I love the quote at the end! There is excellent coloring and the whole is visually stunning. Great work!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katniss and Thomas | crossover by Guzik90ab

This is the kind of crossover I love, where there are two fandoms and one of them I'm not familiar with. I've not seen/read The Maze Runner yet, but when I saw the trailer it did make me think of The Hunger Games. This is an excellent mesh of both movies. It draws you in because the scene editing is seamless, the scenes of Katniss and Thomas are indistinguishable from real scenes. The action of the games and being in the maze melds into one narrative between both characters. Even though it's only a short video it contains so much. You get the conflict of characters, the building of the relationship and the external storyline. It's a fabulous video that shows videos don't need to be long to tell a story.

---

The Leftovers-Remembrance by DJC Productions

To see a vid for this show made me so happy, and to see it vidded in Dennis's hands made me that much happier because I knew I was going to get a fabulous video. Plus the vid is to possibly my favourite Balmorhea song which is perfect for The Leftovers. Dennis has a real natural knack for vidding, he picks perfect scenes and audio that seem to encapsulate the essence of a show in only a few minutes. There's a classic touch to Dennis's videos that make them memorable. This video centres around the pilot episodes of The Leftovers, but it just sets up the show as a whole so well it could be a network promo.

---

Devil's Backbone (Carrie&Brody) by soapbubbles511

I am quite in love with this video for many reasons. Homeland, Carrie/Brody, Carrie!Angst, The Civil Wars and perfect lyric interpretation just make this one of my favourite videos that Sarah has made. The song is so brutally perfect for Carrie and Brody that it's as though the song were written for them. And the choice of scenes that Sarah has used throughout make it appear even more perfect for them. There is a clear thought behind every scene that was chosen, especially when it comes to the Carrie scenes because they actually appear as though Carrie is thinking that lyric. The "oh, Lord, oh, Lord, what have I done/what do I do?" parts show this particularly well, Carrie's expression is perfect. I just love this video. It helped spark my muse and get me making my own vid to this song. And I have to say, this is one of those videos that I'm always going back to watch again.

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIMYM Party Rock Anthem by Ninu

Whilst I am a huge fan of her AUs/Crossovers, it always shows true talent when a vidder can easily switch between making complicated AU manips and crafting enjoyable canon videos. “HIMYM Party Rock Anthem” is one of those videos that takes a popular, up-beat song and totally does it justice. I really enjoyed the transitions used to match the beat use, the fast swipes and “wiggly effects” between shots is definitely appropriate for LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem whilst also not being too distracting. Furthermore, all the little How I Met Your Mother inside jokes and humorous moments were perfectly weaved in so that viewers could enjoy the up-beat editing whilst also appreciating the vibrant humour of the show. I love how it is clear in this vid how much the vidder loves the programme and I love all the moments she included. In particular, my favourite aspect of the vid is probably all the little montages of similar moments throughout the show: the quick fades between the characters drinking; all the slapping scenes; the high fives; and of course all that dancing! I love fun, feel-good videos like this and Ninu totally nailed this one! A very enjoyable vid all the way through!

Runaway by cappy

When I first met cappy years ago, I was blown away by her writing skills. Now she has tried her hand at vidding and I'm happy to say she has been met with equal success. Cappy's vids are a brilliant example of how vidders do not need complex programs in order to make good, engaging projects. Using WMM, “Runaway” tells the story of Breaking Bad's Walt and Jesse with simplicity, and whilst I do not intend watching the show itself, I find I am completely enthralled in cappy's story-telling skills in this video. The music is appropriately chosen and gives the video the perfect atmosphere for such a heartbreaking story (and I admit, the song has been stuck in my head a few times since watching!). Lyric use is one of my favourite aspects in videos and I enjoyed seeing how she interpreted many of the lyrics (I particularly enjoyed the “arms in the air” lyric with Walt/Jess high-fiving and then Walt with his hands up in the desert. And I love all the scenes chosen for the chorus “What makes you think I'm enjoying being led to the flood?”). I especially enjoy when lyrics may be slightly cryptic, such as in this case, it shows creativity when the vidder makes an attempt to connect an image to the words and perhaps make viewers think differently about the scene or lyrics. In addition, the audio and voice-overs are excellently placed, easy to make out, and not too overwhelming. I follow the story well and am not bombarded with too much at once, despite not having seen the show. This is a very thorough, emotive study of the Walt/Jesse relationship that intrigues me, a non-fan, and makes me speculate on the significance of some scenes. I still don't think I can get in to the show, but vids like this sometimes makes me wish I had!

WALL-E And Her Trailer by averagetrailer

This vidder's trailers are anything but “average”! As soon as averagetrailer joined LVI, I was immediately impressed by the creativity of their mash-ups. Rather than being for comedic effect (which one might assume seeing some of the crazy crossovers this vidder has attempted!), these trailers are brilliantly crafted to pull off realistic and convincing stories using footage from other sources to match the original trailer. I was particularly impressed with the WALL-E And Her trailer as I would have thought it challenging to match up an animated children's film such as WALL-E and make it work for a live-action romantic drama such as Her, but averagetrailer pulled it off seamlessly! I am astounded at how the vidder managed to make links between the two movies, and find relevant scenes to match up with the trailer's audio. It somehow makes the romance between EVE and WALL-E even more heartfelt (and it was daft enough crying about two robots falling in love the first time around!). The “I wish I could put my arms around you” scene worked AMAZINGLY with the clip of WALL-E reaching out for EVE. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he were actually saying it. It looks and works like a real trailer. I hope you make more mash-ups, averagetrailer, and thank you for sharing your work with us!

Last edited by Jemmz on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Leave (Walt & Jesse) by cylune

There are some absolutely amazing vids by Cinthia here at LVI, but this one left me absolutely breathless. I haven't seen Breaking Bad but I know the story and characters, and I was completely blown away when I watched this vid. The combination of voice overs with dramatic clips and music is one of my favorite vidding techniques, and Cinthia has done it to perfection here. It's a summary of Walt and Jesse's relationship but the depth of their friendship isn't sacrificed for time. It's a character study masterpiece that has stuck with me since I first saw it.

Medicine by NikkiMonique

Nikki is an AU vid pioneer and has helped turn the genre into an art. I am always in awe of her ability to create captivating original stories using repurposed footage from various sources. Medicine is one of my favorite examples this year of Nikki's talent for creating these stories. Like all her AUs, the story unfolds through a series of convincing manipulations set to music that compliments both action and tone. You smile, you cry, and very often there's a jaw-dropping twist at the end that is packed with emotion. The first thing I thought after I saw this video is that if it were a real TV show or movie, I would definitely watch it.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World by xSoppySofax

Sophie has made a lot of stunning vids over the years, and this is just one of the many awesome videos she made this past year for The Walking Dead. I've only seen a few episodes of the show myself, but her vids do a great job of capturing the essence of a character, scene, or relationship. Even though I didn't know much about the Governor going into this vid, I felt like I knew all I needed to know by the time it was over. From the song choice and the gritty look, to the lyric interpretation and thoughtful clip choices, this vid has stuck with me throughout the year and is a great example of why I'm a Sophie fan.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I Lose Myself - Will Graham by KajaM

This video had me gripped within the first few seconds, Karolina’s editing style is simply captivating. She created a strong atmosphere with the use of voiceovers, her clip choices, and incredible beat use. I really liked how Karolina used some of the more unusual transions such as those at 0.14, 0.27, and 0.38, making them flow seamlessly with the music. The visuals are simply stunning. I particularly loved the use of colour at the beginning, and how the motion in the clip choices was used throughout. To me, this video is a work of art!

Multifandom - Red Dress by klost004

I chose this multi-fandom video from Kimmy as one of my picks this year because it provides an exceptional example of motion use. Kimmy made some brilliant clip choices, and manipulated the speed of some clips to hit the beats in the song. I really liked how the mix of fandoms worked together and the mesmerizing atmosphere she created. The section from 3:47 - 3:52 was a particular favoutite of mine, as the clips flowed together so beautifully. It’s easy to tell that a great deal of time and effort was put into this video. Well done, Kimmy!

THG - You are the Mockingjay by aradnea

Ali’s ‘You are the Mockingjay’ video is a comprehensive tribute to The Hunger Games films. Ali’s use of voiceovers is fantastic as she controls the flow of the video, whilst also telling the story. It’s a long video by fanvid standards, but Ali’s editing style manages to keep you gripped from start to finish. I really enjoyed how individual focus was placed on Katniss and her relationships with those around her. The atmosphere was intense, and packs a real emotional punch. Brilliant work, Ali!

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't even see this until now.
Eeeee, so cool!!! Thank you so much, Emma!!!

I'm super-happy and super-proud that you picked one of my vids... and even more that you chose this one! Man, that one was difficult to edit with all the quick cuts, so I really, really appreciate your CM pick!! Thank you!!!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks Kat! That's a huge compliment. I really appreciate it.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thank you so much Heather!!! I was really excited that you chose this vid because it's one I'm extremely proud of. Thank you for the kind words. And the banner is so cool. I love it. Thank you so much. I'm elated

Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: