Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking Clips from DVDs
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Taking Clips from DVDs Reply with quote

A Guide for using DVD Shrink 3.2 to rip clips from a DVD

First you need the software which is free and just by doing a Google search you can find it. As of this posting the latest version is 3.2.0.15 as stated on their site. This what the official DVD Shrink site looks like:

Second you need to have ample space on your PC hard drive for the clips. Just to give you an idea of the size range: a 1 hour episode (approximately 43 minutes of real show time) can take up about 1 to 2 Gigabytes of disk space depending on the resolution and framerate.

I'm not going to go into the details about circumvention as that would not be legal; but, some DVD's cannot be ripped just by using DVD Shrink alone. If you need any other info you have to go look it up yourself from another site.

Now on with the How to Guide:

Step 1

Place the DVD onto the DVDRom tray for your PC. Then open DVD Shrink. You will see the following screen when the program is running:

Step 2

To open the DVD in DVD Shrink you need to press the Open Disc button as indicated by the red arrow:

A new pop-up box will ask if this is the correct DVD you want to import:

Click OK and another status pop-up box will indicate the process of importing the DVD to DVD Shrink:

When the program has successfully imported the status box will disappear and you will see something like this:

Click the "+" symbol at the Main Movie section as indicated by the red arrow:

This opens up the info on the chapters (if any) and you can preview which file you need for your clip. In this example there is only one combined file that includes episodes 1, 2, and 3 in the "Title 1-5" file. As seen under the Main Movie folder:

(to be continued...)
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 3

To isolate and select a specific clip without saving the whole entire DVD to files (which would take up about 7 GB) you need to re-edit or in this case "Re-Author" the DVD.

Click the Re-Author button as indicated by the red arrow:

Then you will see a new screen that looks something like:

As you can see the Main Movie section is now broken up into 5 separate Titles which makes it easier to grab the scene or two that you want.

To find a particular scene, select the Title(s) and drag them over to the Re-Authored DVD section as shown in the image below:

Select the scene by scanning the Title (in this case I know the scene is in the first episode and so I can just look in Title 1). Click the Play button as shown by the red arrow and you will see the episode in the viewing area which was previously a black rectangle when you find the scene take note of the position as shown by the blue arrow (it will help when doing the actual cutting in the next step):

(continued...)
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 4

Cutting the actual clip.

Now look for the blue symbol with the 2 arrows above one another each pointing either left or right with two vertical lines surrounding it as indicated by the red arrow. This is the "Set Start/End Frames" button.

After clicking it you will now be taken to the following window:

This is where knowing the starting point as indicated by the blue arrow before comes in handy. You have two ways to find the scene using the new editing window. You can estimate the position using the slider bar at the blue arrow to approximate the position you noted before or you can just find the scene by using the timecode indicated by the red arrow*.

*If you decide to use the timecode method you will need to find the scenes from the DVD using your DVD player and taking notes on the start and stop times of all the scenes you want to grab/use. This is much more accurate and probably will save you some time.

By dragging the slider bar (blue arrow) and taking note of either its position or the timecode discussed earlier you can find the beginning of the scene you are looking for. Make sure to leave ample lead time before the desired scene so you can edit it according to your use in the vid. You can fine tune the Start and End points by using the single black triangle as indicated by the green arrow. This sets the beginning point of the clip.

Now you want to set the End point which is very similar in the procedure to set the Start point. Use the slider bar located below the Start point slider to select the desired End point (blue arrow).

I have found it easier to just drag the slider from the very right of the End point bar over to the farthest it can go to the left it cannot go past where you set the Start point. As long as the clip you use is not extremely long (and it really shouldn't be) you can use either the fine (green arrow) or coarse adjustments to continue advancing the slider bar to mark the End point. Again you can also use the timecode as a reference.

(continued...)
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 5

Now that you have the clip selected you just click OK and the new screen shows only the selected area of the Title 1. As you can see it only takes up 18 MB instead of the full 1,934 MB of the whole episode.

Click the "Backup" button as indicated by the red arrow

There will be a window that prompts you to select a folder to save the new files into so choose someplace easy to find that also has adequate space for the files. In this example I used my E: drive but you can also select your desktop.

You will see a new status box.

When the operation is complete you will see a confirmation dialog box.

Click OK and you are back to the regular DVD Shrink screen which you can minimize if you are going to do more clips or close if you need the PC to free up some resources for clip editing.

Step 6

Find the newly made VIDEO_TS folder and open it up. Look for the file that most closely matches in size the clipsize from DVD Shrink. In this case it is VTS_01_1.VOB as indicated by the red arrow.

Rename that file to something more descriptive or easier for you to identify at a later time when you edit your video. Make sure the extension is changed from VOB to mpg. When you get the warning dialog box explaining that by doing such a change you can make the file unusable, select Yes.

You will notice that the symbol for that file changes (in my case it changed to the Windows media player symbol since I have that set up to recognize mpg's) and if you doubleclick that file you can check to be sure you have the correct scene.

Step 7

Now all you need to do is import this new file into your Video editor of choice and you can use it in your music video!

Success!

Fin
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! This is perfect! I'll see if I can fit it all into one main site page without overextending, but if I can't then I'l;l probably link back to this page, deleting our first three posts and changing the title. Thanks again for making that Morelight, the vidding world thanks you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to use this. Thank you. Excellent job. I've been wanting to know how to do this for a very long time.
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Morelight, you are a genius! Now I can finally use my Lost DVDs for vidding!

Banner: Shinythings
lost obsession
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: ono Reply with quote

its says i need a codec when i try to import my ripped clip into windows movie maker can someone give me the link to this code?

visit my site and watch all my videos at :
http://lostobsession.co.nr
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you all liked this tutorial.

As for the Codec problem, I think you need a separate MPEG-2 decoder (codec) to import the files to WMM(1 or 2) and the only way around this is to either purchase the codec from Microsoft's site (called MPEG codec) or purchase DVD playback software which includes the codec or find a software converter that changes MPEG-2/MPG to wmv files.

I think if you have the full version of any pay video editing software they provide this converter as a separate download. Sony Vegas for example asked me to download the additional codec when I first tried to edit a MPG clip.

Also if your PC is preloaded with software to enable DVD viewing you should already have this codec.

My lost music vids
digit7766

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is really cool! except for one thing...when I get the clip I want whenever I play it in windows media player, windows movie maker, or as a video resized from windows movie maker and then played in windows media player...it's jerky! is that suposed to happen? I tried making smaller clips and it's still really jerky.....any help?
digit7766

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO WAIT!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH!! I figured it out!!

Holy crap I am so freakin excited right now
digit7766

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangit!! now when I try to import the non-herky jerky clips it says that the file is empty....wtf? I just wan't win with these videos!!
digit7766

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT! hahahahaha I figured it out! I downloaded an MPEG decoder or something like it said and I just had to find the right freakin one and I did! ok, I'll shut up now lol
Lostaway
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! How do i change the file name from VOB to MPG???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you gotta do is rename the file whateveryouwantthenametobe.mpg and it will automatically change the file form the symbol will probably change to a windows media player symbol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: