Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet)" by scarlett_106 (L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: "Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet)" by scarlett_106 (L Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet)" 09-25-2014
Im a Jater, but Jacket always struck me--what they had was so beautiful and real, if short-lived. The kiss and hug toward the end of the vid was, to me, their goodbye moment, even though it technically wasnt. They both knew that he couldnt shake his fe
Fandom: Lost
Song: Please Dont Go by Barcelona
Vidder: scarlett_106
Length: 4:35 (272 MB MP4)

Link(s): http://youtu.be/QPKu_eHpHKs
https://vimeo.com/107203227

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

I was never really a fan of Jacket but my goodness if you didn't do a great job of this vid. The first thing I noticed and have to praise you on is your audio. (As someone who has a hard time of deciding how loud or soft I need my audio to be) your audio is perfect. It's just right.

I love that the effects are minimal yet effective.

But the thing that really got to me was how you made me see Jacket differently. And for that I have to thank you. I never realized they were both the same until now. The scene of him asking if Sarah's happy and showing Juliet smiling and then showing her crying. They're both stuck on this island wanting to get back to someone they care about, Jack was always holding onto Sarah even whilst on the island and Juliet wanted to be with her sister.

You picked really convincing clips for this vid and it works so well here.

What a fantastic vid.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

Aw, this was lovely! Made me really miss Jacket, and I didn't particularly ship them much either. But your vid reminded me they made such a sweet couple I agree with Brooke that the audio was perfect! Also, your lyric use was brilliant!! And I also did enjoy the parallels between Jack and Juliet too. Well done The only thing I'd say is that there were quite a lot of quick, black flashes where there were probably gaps between the clips on the timeline. These would have looked better with slow fades for such a slow song. But great job!! I really liked this vid
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

3868 wrote:
I was never really a fan of Jacket but my goodness if you didn't do a great job of this vid. The first thing I noticed and have to praise you on is your audio. (As someone who has a hard time of deciding how loud or soft I need my audio to be) your audio is perfect. It's just right.

I love that the effects are minimal yet effective.

But the thing that really got to me was how you made me see Jacket differently. And for that I have to thank you. I never realized they were both the same until now. The scene of him asking if Sarah's happy and showing Juliet smiling and then showing her crying. They're both stuck on this island wanting to get back to someone they care about, Jack was always holding onto Sarah even whilst on the island and Juliet wanted to be with her sister.

You picked really convincing clips for this vid and it works so well here.

What a fantastic vid.

Thank you! I actually was trying, in that clip, to show Jack "letting go" of Sarah (the lyrics were "all those arrows you threw, you threw them away") so I was trying to show Jack insisting on who Sarah was with, and then simply asking if she was happy. Then the lyrics were "You kept falling in love, and then one day" so I showed Jack and Juliet in their previous relationships with their ex spouses, and then meeting "and then one day." But the message is the same as you're saying--Jack and Juliet really did have so many parallels. They had spouses who treated them terribly and yet those spouses left them, they both wanted to get off the island but then Locke blew up the sub, they both didn't trust Ben and tried to fight against him, and then later, they both got totally screwed over by their on-island romance (him by Kate, her by Sawyer). I loved, too, how they were both "left behind" by the Others--both literally and figuratively, when Jack was punished for almost killing Ben and Juliet was "marked" for telling him to do it. So yeah I'm glad I conveyed that! I also wanted to show how she slowly broke him down...he rebelled against her at first but ended up letting go and having feelings for her. It was really a beautiful example of how characters on Lost influence each other!

Thanks so much for the praise, it means a lot!

2181 wrote:
Aw, this was lovely! Made me really miss Jacket, and I didn't particularly ship them much either. But your vid reminded me they made such a sweet couple I agree with Brooke that the audio was perfect! Also, your lyric use was brilliant!! And I also did enjoy the parallels between Jack and Juliet too. Well done The only thing I'd say is that there were quite a lot of quick, black flashes where there were probably gaps between the clips on the timeline. These would have looked better with slow fades for such a slow song. But great job!! I really liked this vid

Thank you so much! I try really hard with lyric interpretation, so I'm glad it's noticeable!

As for the transitions, I hear what you're saying. There was actually only one area in which the clips were purposely spaced on the timeline, and that was during the lyric "I can't let go, for I lose control" because I was shortening a clip of Jack surrendering to Juliet and wanted to chop it up a bit. Other black flashes would have just been fade-ins that were short, like 1 second. I used crossfades for most of the vid but sometimes I didn't have enough length in the two side-by-side clips to crossfade w/o losing an important frame, or I felt it needed more of a transition between scenes. Maybe I should do a second or two longer so it's not as much of a flash? There was one moment that bothered me on rewatching, with Jack and Juliet sitting on the beach with blankets--I should have left it w/o a transition or done a crossfade. But anyway! Live and learn. I'll keep that in mind for next vid! Maybe I will extend the fade-in so it's less abrupt. Also at times I used fade-ins for beat use, which is something I was trying to work on in this vid!

Thank you both so much for watching and commenting! And I would be remiss if I didn't also say that lttleton_pace helped me SO much by showing me how to make my own Lost clips. Previously, I had only used whatever clips were on Evi's site or a Jater site. But the clip quality was iffy on those sites (not HD in most cases, some aspect ratios were different, etc.) so making my own clips helped a ton, I think!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

Lovely vid! You did a wonderful job of capturing both the angsty side of their relationship and the sweet side. I agree with Brooke, the way you showed how similar Jack and Juliet were was great. What's neat is your vid was deeper then a ship vid, it was almost like a character study of this ship. I really like the part around 40 seconds where we see Jack and Juliet both breaking down. I never realized how similar those scenes were. It's sort of sad when you think that Juliet and Jack both so desperately wanted to leave the island and in the end they both lost their lives on the island. Juliet never got to leave and Jack couldn't get the island out of his head when he did leave. I really liked the part "when you crashed in the clouds you found me." Your lyric use at 1:58 with Jack seeing Kate and Sawyer together and them leaving, was really great. I really liked the way you did the flashbacks with the kiss at the end. The coloring was perfect. The song was a perfect fit for Jacket. I liked the way you ended the vid and that at 4:06 you had that part where Jack looked sort of confused and sad after their kiss when he realizes they just aren't meant to be. I really enjoyed your vid.
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Micaela, for the thoughtful and detailed comments! I was struck by how perfectly some of the lyrics tied in, like "when you crashed in the clouds, you found me" and "Get those left-handed lovers out of your way...they look hopeful but you, you should not stay." As soon as I heard the song and thought of Jacket, those scenes popped into my head. And yeah the "goodbye" hug/kiss at the end makes me so sad, especially after my vid--you can feel the "letting go" that's occurring between them! What might have been....anyway, thanks for watching and commenting!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

That was a really beautiful video. I'm Jate all the way, too, but I agree that Jacket had an interesting spark, and this video showcases that really well. I was worried when I saw the length of the video and the slow song. Normally videos that are both slow and long are in danger of being boring, but yours wasn't at all. Your clip choices were specific and well placed, and you told Jacket's story beautifully. Really nicely done!
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I'm glad it wasn't boring, haha! I was worried about the slow song so I tried to keep clips short and change them often. That's something I've learned from the LVI tutorials and from watching expert vidders' vids!

I really appreciate the comment and view!
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Please Dont Go (Jack/Juliet) by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

That was a lovely Jacket vid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: