Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects for montag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Effects for montag Reply with quote

So, I have a creative question for a Jack/Juliet vid I'm making (I'm rewatching the entire series and I'm struck by how much potential "Jacket" had....I want to honor that in a vid).

At the climax of the song, I intersperse "flashbacks" of lots of little scenes with one long scene of them kissing. So, like start with the kiss, then 4 short clips of flashbacks, show continuation of kiss, more short clips, end kiss. It looks a little confusing though--should I do b&w for the flashbacks or will that look cheesy? Should I try a different effect on them? Or maybe do the kiss itself in a different color or something? I SUCK at coloring--so please be basic with me. I want to help the viewer distinguish the kiss from the other scenes....

Thanks so much!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, a Lost vid! Lost vids are still my favorites to watch. I hope you post it here when you complete it.

I don't think doing the flashbacks in b/w would be cheesy. I've always liked that effect in vids.

Do you use Sony Vegas?
Have you tried instead of 100% b/w trying it with maybe 50% or 75% b/w? Sometimes Sepia is also a nice alternative to b/w.
Another thing is you could mask certain colors in the flashbacks (or the kiss) using "chroma keyer". (This also pairs nicely with a b/w effect. Depending on the scenes, you can sometimes manip it so only one color, say blue, shows up in the scenes and all the others show up b/w.)

If you want to leave the coloring the same you could always blur the flashback images slightly along the edges using something like radial blur. Some versions of Vegas have an effect that I think is called vignette that would also give this sort of look. This would give it sort of a "dreamy" look.

I used to use effects like "yellow tint" under "color curves" or "warm" under "gradient map" to give my flashback scenes a different look, especially if they were happy scenes.

You could even try a lens flare effect to set them apart.

I don't use a lot of effects typically, but these are just some ideas. Hope that helps.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! Those are all awesome suggestions--I'll play around with Vegas (I have Movie Studio). I'm always intimidated by effects...I've used a few, like contrast and brighten, HSL adjust, etc. but it's truly trial and error.

I have to do it clip by clip, especially with Lost--some clips are SO dark (hatch scenes, Jack's shark tank, night scenes, etc.) and some are SO bright (pretty much anything on the beach or jungle). So I don't know if people apply the effects to the entire vid, because if I try, some are too dark/light! Ugh.

That's a great idea to use blur--I've never used that! Or maybe a glow...or sepia! I think I used sepia once for a similar effect.

I will definitely be posting the vid here when I'm done. It's sad...my Lost vids used to get so many views when the show was "current," especially since I always posted them on LF and such. Now, hardly anyone is browsing Youtube for Lost vids. That's why I'm so grateful for this site! I have dabbled in vidding other fandoms (True Blood and The Vampire Diaries) but only once or twice and I am just not invested enough. Lost still owns me, and rewatching it from the start this past month has made me love it even more.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions! I'll play around with all of those tips and see what works.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you so much! Those are all awesome suggestions--I'll play around with Vegas (I have Movie Studio). I'm always intimidated by effects...I've used a few, like contrast and brighten, HSL adjust, etc. but it's truly trial and error.

I use movie studio too.Those are pretty much the only effects I'll use Effects intimidate me a little too. It's tough to get the balance right.

Quote:
I have to do it clip by clip, especially with Lost--some clips are SO dark (hatch scenes, Jack's shark tank, night scenes, etc.) and some are SO bright (pretty much anything on the beach or jungle). So I don't know if people apply the effects to the entire vid, because if I try, some are too dark/light! Ugh.

I always do my effects clip by clip so I can adjust for the differences. I use max saturation quite a lot to brighten dark clips and get rid of the washed out look in clips that are too bright. I use that effect in almost all my vids.
I also use "Levels" to fix some of the dark clips.

Quote:
That's a great idea to use blur--I've never used that! Or maybe a glow...or sepia! I think I used sepia once for a similar effect.

Yellow Glow under Gaussian Blur, also can give a good effect. I haven't used it very often. Sepia is great because you can play around with the colors and amount of it much like with b/w.

Quote:
I will definitely be posting the vid here when I'm done. It's sad...my Lost vids used to get so many views when the show was "current," especially since I always posted them on LF and such. Now, hardly anyone is browsing Youtube for Lost vids. That's why I'm so grateful for this site! I have dabbled in vidding other fandoms (True Blood and The Vampire Diaries) but only once or twice and I am just not invested enough. Lost still owns me, and rewatching it from the start this past month has made me love it even more.

Great, I'll be watching for it. I don't see as many Lost vids as I used to but I always have enjoyed them the best. This is a good time to be posting Lost vids because of Lost nostalgia with the 10 year from the premiere anniversary. I don't watch as many vids straight off YT just because it's so hard to comment on them anymore. I mostly watch vids here so I can comment straight on this site.

I'm going to have to rewatch the whole series again. It's been a couple years since I watched it all through. I noticed you catch so many foreshadowings of what was to come when you re-watch the whole series. (I'm doing a similar rewatch with the Every Simpson marathon . )

I'm the same way, I've done other vids for Once Upon a Time, Haven, The Office etc and I enjoyed making them and I think they came out pretty good, but Lost is my favorite to vid. I just know the storyline and characters better.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions! I'll play around with all of those tips and see what works.

If you ever wanted a vid beta'd to check effects or anything feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, another question...still working on this Jacket vid because it's been a busy month! Most of the editing is done, just working on coloring/effects now. I'm getting REALLY frustrated.

If you do a Track FX, can you adjust each clip? Or do you have to apply a certain effect to every single clip indiviudally? I've tried to play around with it but it seems like you can add a video-wide effect or a track effect but if you want to be able to adjust that effect for each clip, you need to add the effect to each clip. Is that right?

Thanks!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarlett_106 wrote:
So, another question...still working on this Jacket vid because it's been a busy month! Most of the editing is done, just working on coloring/effects now. I'm getting REALLY frustrated.

If you do a Track FX, can you adjust each clip? Or do you have to apply a certain effect to every single clip indiviudally? I've tried to play around with it but it seems like you can add a video-wide effect or a track effect but if you want to be able to adjust that effect for each clip, you need to add the effect to each clip. Is that right?

Thanks!

I haven't used TrackFX very much but it is my understanding that if say you used black and white as your TrackFX then every clip on that track will be b/w. I don't think you can adjust them separately.

I think the only way to adjust the effect on each clip separately is to apply that effect to each clip.

To an extent you can customize and save effects though. So if maybe you've found the perfect effect, like for example you wanted to apply 82% b/w to certain clips you could save that effect and be able to drag and drop it like any other effect instead of having to pick the closest effect and adjust it each time.

If you have a large amount of content you would like to have an effect you could put TrackFX on one track and then move the clips you don't want affected straight up or down to one of the other video tracks. I've tried that before and it seemed to work okay.

Hope that helps.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: