Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio in Vegas - 5.1 surround or stereo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Audio in Vegas - 5.1 surround or stereo? Reply with quote

I checked the tutorials for a thread about this, but didn't see it...

I'm making a Lost vid and I'm a bit rusty.

I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 and had the project set to the default audio, stereo. But once I tried to add a clip, it said "this media has multiple channels of audio...do you wish to change to 5.1 surround?" I googled the difference and can't really find anything.

Am I fine with stereo or will that mess up the audio if I choose to keep audio in a clip or add voiceovers? Will every viewer be able to hear the audio if I select surround, or only those with surround speakers? Thanks!

On a related note--I just tried playing that clip in the trimmer, and only some of the audio is working. I heard the background music and I could only faintly hear Jack pulling on the chain, but couldn't hear Juliet talking. Do I need to do something to my audio settings?

Btw--I made these clips myself from the DVDs (thanks to littletonpace's help) and the audio works perfectly when I watch the clips in Windows.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My default audio is set to stereo as well. I'm not sure what difference it will make if you set it to surround, but why don't you try it? You can always render it again in stereo if it messes up. As for the clip audio, again, I'm not sure why it's doing it, but you could try converting the clips? Maybe Vegas is having issues with the file type.
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! The clips are playing fine in the preview pane and on the timeline, just not in the trimmer--so not a huge deal.

I'm trying the surround but I don't think it will matter because I almost always mute the audio of clips...it will just affect VO's I guess. Thanks so much!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I hope it works out! Good luck with it
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one more audio question. I'm a bit rusty, as I said. Is it possible to mute the entire audio track but then "unmute" specific segments? When I mute the entire track, right click on the clip and try to go to Switches--Mute, Mute isn't clicked (so I can't unclick it).

I'd like to mute the track and then just unmute any clips I need, rather than having to mute each clip one at a time as I add them. thanks!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a way to do that, but you can mute one audio track, then add another audio track to put in the audio you don't want muted. Alternatively, you can just add the video for the clips you don't want audio for by right clicking on the clip highlighted in the trimmer and clicking "add video" and then add the video and audio by right clicking on the clip in the trimmer and clicking "add video and audio". I hope that makes sense
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea you could add just the video, although now that makes perfect sense. I'm sure there's not much you can't do in Vegas. I'll just add the video only for most clips, or do what you said--mute the main audio and then create a separate audio track and move the audio clips I want down there. Thank you!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're very welcome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: