Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January Contest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often would you like to see a new contest?
Every month (contest last 1 month)
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
Bi-monthly (contest lasts 2 months)
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Quarterly (contest lasts 3 months)
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: January Contest Reply with quote

Happy New Year! We are looking forward to a great 2014 here at LVI! This is our 10th year online, which is amazing and thanks to our wonderful members & CMs!

As with all things, sometimes there needs to be changes to keep moving forward. There has been a decline in entries to our monthly contests, and for January, instead of having a contest, we want to know what you, the members/vidders of this site, would like to see to encourage you to enter more often.

In addition to the poll in this thread, we would like for you to fill out this survey. Please be as honest as possible!

What makes you, as a vidder, want to enter a particular contest? Is it the theme, the challenge, the competitiveness, all of the above? Or something else?

Do you like for a contest to be very open, with a general theme and not many rules, or do you like to see some specific rules to follow?

As a vidder and also a member of LVI, would you be interested in taking part in the voting process, such as a poll?

What do you think of changing the contests from lasting one month to having them last longer, making them less frequent but giving the vidders more time to perfect the vids?

What specifically would you like to see in our contests? Any particular fandom, artist, or theme? Be creative, feel free to put anything out there, who knows what might work out as a good contest!

Last edited by Uruviel on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Nancy-Alex
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you, as a vidder, want to enter a particular contest? Is it the theme, the challenge, the competitiveness, all of the above? Or something else?
For me it's always the theme or the challenge. When it is something interesting, something that makes my brain work faster, thinking about it - I will totally do my best to take part.

Do you like for a contest to be very open, with a general theme and not many rules, or do you like to see some specific rules to follow?
I like to see more specific rules. Because it makes it harder and also more inspirational. It's always fun to pick a hard topic and do your best to create something new, smth that you've never thought about.

As a vidder and also a member of LVI, would you be interested in taking part in the voting process, such as a poll?
Probably, but I prefer when it's not the vidders who choose the winner, but some kind of judges. But, having a kind of "Community choice" prize would be nice.

What do you think of changing the contests from lasting one month to having them last longer, making them less frequent but giving the vidders more time to perfect the vids?
Making a vid doesn't take much time. For me it's the question of inspiration and topic. If I see the challenge that interests me, I will do my best to do something cool and great for it.

What specifically would you like to see in our contests? Any particular fandom, artist, or theme? Be creative, feel free to put anything out there, who knows what might work out as a good contest!
Some interesting vidding ideas, like I've seen contest called "faceless" where you cannot show any face. Or choice of one dominant color. Or make video in some particular style (dubstep, overemotional). I love when it's a "hug" or "kiss" - when video should be around 1 hug\kiss, or multifandom of these. Original ideas really inspire me.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all of the above.
The theme has alot to do with which contests I choose to enter. Some contests just aren't in my vidding style or don't fit my fandoms so I don't enter them. I love the Christmas contest! I look forward to that one every year.
I really enjoy the challenge of the contests and how they make me think outside the box. The contests often lead me to explore vidding ideas I had never considered before or push me to do a video I've long wanted to but was reluctant to do because of the effects I'd need to use etc.
I'm more competitive then I'd like to admit, so I do enjoy the competition. But I especially enjoy seeing how different people interpret the same contest. Seeing other vidders contest entries is one of my favorite parts.

Not sure. Early on when all the contests were only Lost and we sometimes had very specific contests like only using a certain artist, I used to think they were really hard and sometimes almost impossible. But some of the general themes can be almost as challenging because they are almost too open to interpretation. I think Fandom choice should always be open, but I wouldn't mind the rules being more specific so when I take part in a contest I can be more certain if my video really fits or if it's just loosly contest centered.

Yes, if voting would be similar to how we vote in the Tournament. Perhaps there could be some kind of member's choice ribbon that the top vote getting video would get. So even though a video may be awarded 2nd by the council, it may still win the member's choice top prize. I agree with Nancy-Alex that we, the members, shouldn't necessarily choose the winner though unless there is just overwhelming member support behind a particular video. I think voting as in the tournament should be anonymous.

I love the monthly contests but I would be okay with a bi-monthly contest. Every three months seems like it might be too long between contests. I'm always needing extensions in the monthly contests because life gets busy or technology and I aren't getting along. I've had a few contests that I was interested in but could not come up with an idea until close to the end of the contest or my computer was messing up and didn't enter because it would be too much of a rush to enter, or I'd have to ask for too long of an extension. Ideally, I'd love to see the monthly contest continue but bi-monthly would be okay.

I kind of miss the music themed contest where we had to use an artist or a kind of music ( like the one where we could only use songs from Disney movies). I have noticed that each year there seems to be a "song of the year", a song that alot of people use for many different fandoms. ( Iris by Goo Good Dolls, or Losing Your Memory would be two prime examples.) So it could be kind of fun if we were challenged to use a song like this to show how it works with many fandoms. But we would be allowed to use cover versions or instrumental versions of that song as well as the original.

I liked the commercial contest from years back...maybe a commercial for a fictional TV product (apollo bars, Dunder Mifflin paper...although I have seen this product. )

I'd love to see a contest where we have to capture the character of the location of the show whether it is real or fictional. For example: the island was as much a character on Lost as any human character. It would be about showcasing the locations role in that fandom.

Perhaps an episodic contest. I believe this might have been a contest long ago, but a video focusing on one episode of your fandom. ( Multi-part episodes like finales would probably still count as one episode if it had the same name.)

Nancy-Alex, you have some neat contest ideas.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me it always depends on the theme of the contest; sometimes I just don't have motivation or inspiration for some of the contest themes. Second comes 'Do I have clips for that?' Hehe.

I believe there needs to be rules. I'm an art graduate and there was rules with our work and I feel that vidding is a form of art so I'm fine with rules. I love how the rules challenge us (at least me) here.

I for one prefer them being every month. I wouldn't have the patience to wait every 2 or 3 months to see the results or to see what the next contest is. I like having them last a month because if I don't want to participate in one vid I only have to wait 30 days to be able to participate in the next. I think 30 days is long enough for someone to do a vid that they feel great about releasing.

No. I wouldn't. I think it's appropriate to have council members vote for the monthly contests.

I think it'd be difficult to do a certain fandom contest since not everyone here watches all the same shows or likes all the same shows. Everyone should feel like they're included. It would alienate people and be harder for them to compete in that particular contest. I think a contest about themes would be better like 'your favorite character, 'your favorite supernatural show', 'cops', 'bad guys'; that sort of thing. Maybe have a contest where a song is chosen for us by someone else? Or we have to choose randomly on iTunes. A music theme like a song about breakup, makeup, loss, happy, glad, mad...Or having a vid about your favorite actor and using clips from their shows/behind the scenes/interviews. I for one would like to see a stronger variety of themes. For instance one of the contests was ' your favorite movie' and then after that contest it was 'favorite indie movie' it was too familiar. I'd like to see more of a challenge.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, that is just the kind of feedback we are looking for!

These responses are awesome, but we would like to hear from more of you!
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still looking for more replies! Please let us know what you think!
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a vidder, I look for a little bit of everything mentioned above. I love a good challenge, even if occasionally I get frustrated with it. Also, if it's a theme that I like, then I'm definitely more willing to give it a shot. Most of all though, I just love competing. There is something about going head to head with really talented people and knowing that only one person can win.

I think that with a contest, it should alternate. If you're bogged down with too many rules to follow every single month, or even bi-monthly, you're going to get fed up with it quickly. Then again, if the contest is too open and there aren't enough rules, every month then it'll get too boring.

I think that could definitely make things interesting, and it would definitely be worth a try. It would hopefully, get more members interested in entering contests!

I do like having a contest every month. It's been a pattern on this site since I joined. However, if you were to change it, I don't think I would like it being more than a bi-monthly thing. Members would be more likely to forget. I know that the longer I have to complete a video, the quicker I forget to do the video.

I think a good theme would be crack videos. They've been very popular on YT as of late, and they never cease to crack me up.

Also, I think it could be fun, and challenging if we did an artist type of contest every once in a while, but have it be a lesser known artist. Someone that not a lot of people have heard of?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses! We will keep them in mind while planning future contests!

In the meantime, check out our February contest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: