Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Addict Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwcheer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Addict Video Reply with quote

Hey, just a quick question!

I'd love to make quality videos, so i was wondering if you could tell me why my Addict by Kelly Clarkson video wasnt chosen. I wasnt surprised, seeing as it was only the 2nd video i've ever made, but any pointers and tips would be appreciated!

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3H2COKTZJ8GAC2IR31ALXJZMEG
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you still have a desire to make videos. I always feel bad if a video doesn't make it because I always invision someone never trying again. And don't take our word for it, just cause we didn't pass it, doesn't mean others aren't gonna totally dig it. We've seen that a dozen times at least.

Your video was edited fairly clean. No extra frames or mis-steps in that department. The pacing was okay.

I think the main thing for me was that the song didn't feel it fit. Or maybe it was the clips didn't fit. Either way there was only a couple of times where I said "Oh that's nice how that fit with that". I think this is an okay song, but I'm just not sure it fit lyrically with what was going on with the images.

Even though the pacing was decent, I felt it could have been a real plus about two thirds of the way in where the song kind of picks up for you to increase the pace of the clips. Shorter cuts or more high action clips or both. And then bring it back down when it finally slows back down when the chorus comes back just before the end.

Other than that this was a very good video for your 2nd time out. Some people obsess about fixing the rejected ones. I wouldn't go this route. Just think about what we've said and pick a new project to work on.

I'm glad this forum is here though, because I'm absolutely positive you'll find people who dig this video. Thanks for sharing and submitting.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, bwcheer! I'm nobody here, just a wannabe vidder who absolutely loves watching vids - especially those featuring "my" guy, Sawyer. (Note my avi; I tend to be a Raving Sawyerette... )

Anyway, I just wanted to chime to say that I really liked your vid and I'm so glad you put it up so that it could be seen! No disrespect to Jake, who's forgotten more than I'll ever know about vidding, but I disagree with the song not fitting the clips. I thought it drove home a nice story about Kate and her "addiction" to these two fellows. Lots of good, angst-ridden clip choices, IMO. (I'm actually making a Jack vid right now and am fairly swimming in Angsty Jack, so I know what I'm talking about! ) It had a discernable storyline to me (the 3 of them being torn up over this love-triangle) and that's one thing that sets a vid a cut above the rest for me. I give it a big thumbs-up! *pretend you see a thumbs-up icon of some sort at this point*

And I thought it was edited very nicely, especially considering this was just your second vid. It's tricky to handle clips in a nice, clean manner and I thought you did it well. My only piece of advice for future vids would be to consider making the frame sizes a bit smaller. Not that you want postage-stamp-sized vids, but the clips sometimes get a little blurry when they're enlarged.

I don't know what program you're using, but I work with Windows Movie Maker, which lets you pick between 640 by 480 or 320 by 240 at one point in your "saving movie" phase (at least, that's what my version offers, yours -- if you're using WMM -- might be different). I've found it useful to try it at both sizes and see which just looks better. Bigger is, occasionally, not better, after all. Of course, it's entirely up to your own preferences. Just thought I'd offer my two cents for whatever they're worth!

Again, I really enjoyed this vid and look forward to seeing more of your work in the future! Great job!

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*pretend you see a thumbs-up icon of some sort at this point*

why pretend?

Yes, I agree with every thing Jake said there. He pretty much hit the nail on the head, as he always seems to be able to do while answering these messages. It's such a relief having you here for this part Jake >.< thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sheree
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the idea that the video was more of an manipulation...the vidder took a song ...that someone wouldn't think of using to describe the Kate -Jack - Sawyer triangle and made what I think is a cool video...
For example I made montage called Ghost...a few lines of the song goes like this...

The scalpal dives into the skin
Good doctors never leave a scar

What I did with those two lines was use them metaphorically to describe how Locke (doctor) helped Charlie...Yes Locke is not a doctor but he helped Charlie... if you listen to that line and say "hey wait a minute Jack's the doctor here - this makes no sense...then you are taking the clip and the words too literally.

That's how I viewed the Addicted montage...I didn't take all the scenes so literal...I think you enjoy it more and see it for what the vidder meant for you to see it as
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
why pretend?

Ahh, I KNEW I could count on you, Mr. H of the Cool and Fancy Smiley Collection! You rock!!!

I wrote:
My only piece of advice for future vids would be to consider making the frame sizes a bit smaller. Not that you want postage-stamp-sized vids, but the clips sometimes get a little blurry when they're enlarged.

You know, I couldn't help but laugh, because I showed this vid to a fellow Sawyer fanatic (who just so happens to answer to the name of "Mom" ) and the first thing she said when it started was, "Ooo, nice and big! Why don't you ever make yours this big?"

So I pointed out the whole "larger size/fuzzier clip" thing, to which she basically said, "Who cares if it's a little fuzzier? It's bigger!"

Therefore, I stand corrected. Make your vids as big as you want. My mom says it's okay!

And I agree with what you said, Sheree, about manipulating a song and the images to come up with something unusual. I mean, believe me that I'm extremely tempted to make a gushy Sawyer vid to some "bad boy" song, but, by now, everybody's seen that a couple hundred times. I like it when a vidder comes up with a weird or just different take on a character via the song choice or the clip choices.

Watching this vid again, it made me think about what Jake said about the music picking up towards the end and the clips needing to reflect that. *waving to Jake, whom I hope doesn't mind that I took an opposing stance here... Just remember, Jake, I'm a Sawyerette, I can't help myself!*

Ahem - anyway, I agree with that, too. But this song makes that a bit of a challenge, because of how long that section goes on... If you just flash images for that long, I think you risk your viewers passing out in their chairs from a prolonged "strobe light effect!" And since this is a very character-driven story the rest of the vid is telling, just switching to a fight scene or a big action scene would also seem a little out of place. Makes for a thin line to walk, requiring a variety of techniques to make it work well, IMO.

In summation (apparently, I'm feeling very lawyery ), I enjoyed this vid. Of course, I also happen to love angsty-rock-chick music and, as it's been pointed out before I'm just a tad prejudiced towards Sawyer vids.

But that doesn't make me a bad person or anything...er...does it???

~Aislynn
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aislynn"]
Hobbes wrote:
Watching this vid again, it made me think about what Jake said about the music picking up towards the end and the clips needing to reflect that. *waving to Jake, whom I hope doesn't mind that I took an opposing stance here... Just remember, Jake, I'm a Sawyerette, I can't help myself!*

I'm glad people are standing up and opposing what I say. Like I've said before, we're only human. All we can do is spout opinions and tastes, which may or may not match others. I'm very glad to see others are enjoying this video and speaking up about it. That's exactly what this forum is for. So feel free to perverbally (did I spell that right?) kick me in the balls all you want.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
So feel free to perverbally (did I spell that right?) kick me in the balls all you want.

LMAO. I'm just wondering how you would proverbally kick someone in the balls...
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I don't know. It sounded cool at the moment and I went with it. LOL.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
So feel free to perverbally (did I spell that right?) kick me in the balls all you want.

I'm a girl and that still makes me wanna say, "Ouuuuuch!"

No, seriously, I hope I didn't come across that strongly! I very highly respect your talent as a vidder. I mean, I had to just download a couple of QuickTime codec thingies to see one of your vids and if you knew how rarely I download software, you'd know that's a big compliment! (I had a big, massive, near fatal computer disaster a few months ago and I'm squeamish to the point of paranoia about adding or changing things on my PC now that it's finally working again! )

Actually, the only real bone of contention I have with you is the fact that I now have the riff from "Enter Sandman" stuck in my head! LOL! Dang, is that a great riff or what? Would you believe that I'd never heard the song before your Ethan vid? Awesome!

So, we're cool? Everybody's cool? Butterflies and bunnies are abounding here at LVI?

~Aislynn

Okay, actually butterflies and bunnies slightly scare me. But y'all get the idea, right?
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
So, we're cool? Everybody's cool? Butterflies and bunnies are abounding here at LVI?

We're absolutely 100% cool. Believe you me, it would take a great deal to piss me off. A GREAT DEAL. I'm about as laid back as it gets.

And thank you kindly for downloading whatever it was you needed to download. I apologize. I didn't realize my videos were complicated.

How could you never hear Enter Sandman? Were you alive in the mid nineties?

But yeah, all is cool. Didn't mean to sound as if I was lashing out or anything. I was just trying to say feel free to attack or oppose anything I say. Like I said, I love that others are supporting this video because it totally deserves it.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
How could you never hear Enter Sandman? Were you alive in the mid nineties?

Oh yeah, I was (Quick Scorecard Update: I'm older than Jake but -- and this is extremely important to remember -- I'm younger than Josh Holloway. That's a Major Point to me, you understand? )

And, for some reason, I've always managed to listen to music at least a decade behind the rest of the world. In the mid-nineties, I'd probably just heard about Duran Duran...

There's also the fact that I have really odd, eclectic taste in music. I nearly didn't answer that one survey in the Whatever thread because I wasn't about to list my fav CD's right now! So, somehow, "Enter Sandman" and I weren't fated to meet until Jake's Ethan vid! I'd heard of it, just never heard it!

And now that I've run merrily off with this thread (bwcheer, you still here? ), I now return you to your regularly scheduled programs...

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, I couldn't help but laugh, because I showed this vid to a fellow Sawyer fanatic (who just so happens to answer to the name of "Mom" Razz ) and the first thing she said when it started was, "Ooo, nice and big! Why don't you ever make yours this big?"

So I pointed out the whole "larger size/fuzzier clip" thing, to which she basically said, "Who cares if it's a little fuzzier? It's bigger!"

Therefore, I stand corrected. Make your vids as big as you want. My mom says it's okay!

My Mom said the EXACT SAME THING >.<

I'm glad that there are still a lot of people here that enjoy this video, because like you said Aislynn, it deserves it. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I made that Hobbes Hosting Hut thing - a forum where all those vids that aren't voted in, but still good, go, and can be viewed by the loving kind people who actually like that sort of video and just can't get enough of it
I always feel bad about this whole judging thing. Not about limiting the videos that get in or don't get in, but more about the people's reactions to it afterwards You have to understand, we AREN'T weeding out the bad ones on here, we're weeding IN the great ones that we, the judges, think were really good. I just started vidding less than a month before I was asked to be a judge here. Laura AND I are still on WMM for crying out loud! Jake just started music videos too. Ditto for Enchirito: he started making vids when LVI started. Pretty much the only one here without sin is LostCalier, who owns the site and pays the bills, and has been missing for so long that she didn't even get in on the vote for this video
We're just a bunch or people called on to do the job, bumbling through watching video after video, knowing full well that we'll have to step on a few toes in the process. I wouldn't exactly say we make mistakes in our choices, because we know when we're on the line with something and when we just know it is a definite "yes" vote. but by no means does that mean anything special. We need to trim the swarm of videos that get in here, many of which are so close in quality that you would probably find a hard time telling the difference between some passed and rejected videos. So for all those reasons, I want a place for all of these vidders to go, where the videos can still be watched just as much, and the only difference is the lack of the official seal of the main site. Thus: Hobbes's Hosting Hut
Hopefully you wouldn't mind me putting your video in there, bwcheer, as you can see from the posts above: even though we didn't love it enough to put it on the site, there are still many people who will like it.

And don't get discouraged, no matter what. That would be the worst thing possible, trully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bwcheer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ya'll!

Thanks for the comments! I dont take anything in a bad way- believe me!

I agree with the statement about the latter part of the song and how it picks up- it was just really hard to get the timing right with clips, and to even find the right ones to go in there!

Hobbes- sure you can post it in the hut- i'd be honored.

Im still working on videos- and i have a really good one in mind. I'm trying to get "Carry on wayward son" by Kansas onto WMM. Though, for some reason i cant transfer the song from iTunes onto WMM. I downloaded from the site, and i tried converting it to MP3, but it wont let me. So i'm in a bit of a bind as of right now... but that song is perfect for what i want to do!
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I really like that song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: