Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if someone else had the same idea??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: What if someone else had the same idea?? Reply with quote

I've recently had an idea for a new vid. I already knew what song I wanted to use, which fandom & characters I wanted to vid to, I had some ideas for the clip choices & the editing. I was really keen on getting started.

And then, checking on Youtube, I saw that someone else had already made exactly THAT VID! Same song, same characters, a similar type of beat use that I've been planning to do.

So, what would you guys do? Would you still go on and make that vid or would you abandon the idea?

I don't want it to look like I just copied that other vidders idea but I'm kinda sad and disappointed that I'm not the first person with this idea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, the same thing happened to me before. THEN, a few months ago, I saw a video with a song I liked a lot, so I wanted to use it and the same fandom, and I tried my best to make it "my own" but I still got crap for it, but I didn't care though, it was still my own version even though there was some similarities between the two videos. It was actually my snow white and the huntsman video that I posted here.

When I uploaded it onto youtube, I had 3 people dislike the video all because of the song, fandom, used. One of them actually said like "at least put inspired by" and I didn't, because honestly, I had wanted to use that movie for a video for so long, then i heard that song was like "wow, this would be perfect!" and then that same person who disliked my video, said, "This is a total rip off from -------- (i forget the name now) it is so unoriginal" ect, and I let a few people watch both videos and all of them said that they were in fact different with some similarities. Mine had more of different scenes with things added, like part of the song said "looked like lightening" and I added lightening to a scene of the movie.

Anyway... just make the video, so what if someone made one like it. It will still be your own editing of it. If anyone said anything, just say "great minds think alike" which is true.

Vidstep
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to make the video, go ahead and make it. You have no reason to feel bad or guilty about doing so. You have just as much rights to use the music and footage as they do. If it makes you feel better contact that person and ask if they would mind if you made a similar video, chances are they won't. Negative youtube comments should not bother you, if they do just delete them and problem solved.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still do the video. Some songs and some fandoms just go really well together. When they work so well together, it is hard to avoid having at least one other video that is similar. I think you should still make your version of the video.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just do it anyway! Don't worry about it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're really "feeling" the vid, go ahead with it! You have your own style of vidding so your vid will be different than the other in some way I'm sure.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you should go ahead and make the video. You clearly already wanted to make this video; and of course your vid will be different because no art is truly the same.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to watch a Karolina video! Not a random Youtuber video!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies! *hugs*
Yes, it's one of those vids that I'd really, really want to make, so I think will just go ahead and do it. Maybe I'll leave a link to the other vid in the YT description so that people will know that I had no intention of copying that other vid.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just me but I personally wouldn't include a link only because someone in YT will assume that you stole the idea. There are so many people making vids that there isn't or won't be s completely original idea. I think you should make the vid and if someone thinks you copied it then you need to defend your vid but if you already go in defending it people will get suspicious. [/list]

Last edited by Brooke on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brooke, I don't think you should include a link. If anyone says anything, just say that it wasn't your intention to copy, its just great minds think alike ect.

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought, Brooke! I'll do that! Thanks!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Karolina,

I've been in a similar situation here with my "never hit the ground" vid. I searched on youtube and found a Steve/Bucky vid with the exact same song (click here for that). It was even more nerve-wracking because there were such a limited amount of Steve/Bucky scenes that I would inevitably end up using the same ones in my vid vs. the one already on YT.

I was bummed because I had just discovered the song, Parachute, and I thought it was sooo adorable and I had a lot of Steve/Bucky Feels going on and I just wanted to vid it! So I did. Personally, looking back now, barring the song, the ship, and some of the scene choices, the two vids aren't very alike. Different viewers appreciate different styles. (And I'm so happy I decided to make the vid because it has been one of the highlight vids of my vid-making years! I LOVED going crazy with the beat use like that - I'd never done that before, and quite frankly, I didn't think I was capable of it!)

In short, if the drive is there, let it guide you to do what you gotta do as a vidder!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: