Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI's Featured Member for January!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: LVI's Featured Member for January! Reply with quote

The Featured Member for this month is the awesomely talented RedeemingTheUneven (Rob)!

Rob has been with LVI since 2010 and has contributed 33 vids to the site, every one of which has earned both a gold VP and a Council Pick. Rob's videos are not only well edited, they also tend to be wide in scope, but also tackle tributes to everything from characters and actors to couples and multifandom, not to mention his epic SAW style AU series. We're always excited to see Rob's next vid!

1) What got you interested in vidding?

I would watch fanmade videos on YouTube from time to time but never felt the urge to edit anything. The turning point was when I found this House of 1000 Corpses/Lost vid of Kim's: http://lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=6726. It left a huge impression on me and I idolised the genius of it like no other video I had seen. So I started making vids from then on simply as a way to entertain myself.

2) Do you have a tip, trick, or technique to share?

I’m not the most profound or insightful guy, and I don't really have any groundbreaking advice as far as the 3 T's go, but what matters most to me is drive and purpose. If you put in your best effort, you're going to get your best result. It sounds lame but I've made my fair share of vids that my heart wasn't in 100%, and it shows. Don't go into a project half-assed and expect gold... "Commitment is what makes you tick, Jack."

3) What are your favorite current fandoms?

Lost will always be first and foremost, for just about every reason there is. Up there with it is Scrubs, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Firefly, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Community, Chuck, Prison Break, Friday Night Lights, and the early seasons of Nip/Tuck.

4) What was your first vid and what is your favorite vid you've done?

I’d count my first real vid as a super short Jack character study. It was one of my early Sony Vegas projects and wasn't much better than my Windows Movie Maker stuff but I saw it as a stepping stone at the time.

My favourite vid would have to be 'Accepting Who You Really Are' because I had a lot of fun piecing it together and it's the most personal one I've done.

5) Do you have any goals as far as skill improvement or dream projects?

I'd like to become more adept with internal movement and the whole style of editing that goes along with dubstep and faster-paced music. Less specifically, I want to sharpen all my techniques and gain new ones. I don't ever want to just settle for what I have.

Having the chance to edit a television series of any nature would be pretty much the pinnacle, and as far as vidding goes, editing something in the 10-minute range that is captivating throughout is even a dream project of mine. You look at those yearly cinema tributes on YouTube and it's not just the editing that blows my mind but the effort and commitment that so obviously went into them. A large-scale project like that is something I definitely wanna simulate.

6) Your vids always weave character emotions and key story points together in thoughtful and clever ways. Does this take a lot of planning or does it occur naturally as you go?

A lot of my more emotion-heavy vids are inspired by a scene or handful of scenes, and they do take some planning but not a whole lot. I'll almost always come into a vid wanting specific moments or a specific atmosphere to pair up with a section of the music. It might not work out every time and so the plan will change, but that idea and forethought is usually the fuel I need to kick off a vid. I'm always trying to brew up new ideas for videos in between editing sessions but for the most part it has to happen naturally. I'm more of a spontaneous person than a planner.

7) What draws you the most to a particular character or set of characters, and how do you decide which ones to vid?

I'm naturally drawn most to damaged characters – especially ones with a good head on their shoulders who are then made to fight an internal struggle within themselves. I find that study of the human condition engrossing. Lost and Breaking Bad are two of the greatest shows ever and, for me, their flawed characters really make them what they are.

It's hard to say how I decide on who to vid. Occasionally, a song will crop up that reminds me of a character, but I’m usually just inspired by the characters themselves, so it's whoever I'm most connected to at the time.

Featured Videos:

Accepting Who You Really Are - an amazing, emotionally charged looked at a variety of characters and their inner struggles with good and evil.
Redeemed (LOST Trailer) - an epic and innovative trailer for Lost that is so well done, it looks absolutely professional.
you're the weak one. [harry potter] - a gorgeous vid looking at Harry's mental and physical struggle through his battles with Voldemort, which will take your breath away and leave you teary-eyed.

Thank you so much for hanging out with us, Rob!

(Don't know what the Featured Member is? Read here to learn more. )
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Rob! I loved reading the answers to your questions.

Your videos are always amazing!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Rob! Your interview was really interesting, and I always love your vids!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob I really admire the emotion you can put into a vid and it was really wonderful to hear you're answers. Congrats!!!!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Rob!
"Accepting Who You Really Are" is one of my all-time faves!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answers bro. No doubt that you're one of the most talented editors on you tube. Id love to see you tackle a year in cinema type vid because I know you'd kill it.

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Rob! Great answers, and I love your vids!

art by me&tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rob!

I really enjoyed your video Jack Shephard: You Can Let Go Now. You do such a great job of capturing the emotions and motivations of the characters in your videos.

Macaila
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rob! You really do make wonderful videos!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: