Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

being put down for use of a song and fandom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: being put down for use of a song and fandom Reply with quote

I didn't know where to post this, so you can move it if needed.

But I uploaded my video for Snow White & the huntsman (same one posted here) and I'm being put down for the use of song and video, the person is saying I'm ripping off from another person who used the same song and same movie and saying I'm being unoriginal and extremely lame. Thing is, they (the person they are referring ) uploaded theirs 2 days ago and I uploaded mine yesterday and I also made the video yesterday too. When I like a song and a fandom, I can finish a video in just a few hours and that's exactly what happened with my video; my muse came back when i heard this song and it *was* perfect for SWATH and I couldn't stop working on it all day. Now I'm getting people disliking my video because of this person saying I'm copying this other person.

Yes, I heard the song from this person's video for the movie, but no way was I trying to copy anyone. Between the two videos; mine was longer by 8 seconds (not a big number, but still) and had different scenes. Hers had more scenes in the quick pace part and different scenes as well. Both our colorings were different; hers was a bit darker while mine was a bit brighter with color and black and white added in some scenes.

I do not like people doing that because there are so many other videos with the same song(s) and fandom(s) as others, so I shouldn't get crap for using the same song and movie. It's "freedom of speech" even though it's making videos, therefore anyone can use anything they want.

Now I feel like this person is gonna have her/his friend's come to my video and dislike it because they don't like my video and everything. :/ This just totally ruined my day...

Last edited by Wildcat on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let them get you down, Summer.

I watched your vid then I checked out the other one to see what the fuss was about. I don't see much more in common between these two vids than any two vids sharing a fandom and a song. IMO they were different videos.

I guess if they think you imitated their video you could always (sarcastically ) tell them the famous quote 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'.

From watching the two, you can tell they are different videos. I think they're just being a little overly possesive of their video.

I'd recommend that if these individuals keep bothering you ,delete their comments first and if it persists try and block them. I've had a few Youtube bullies (usually it's related to them disliking my ship or Lost theory) but I just delete their derogatory comments. I'm all for creative criticism, but when they attack you and/or your viewers, then I feel it's fair to remove the comment.

Macaila
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't let it bother you. As vidders it's so common for us all to get inspired by the same things and come up with similar products. I remember when I first joined, I entered a Desmond/Penny vid into a contest and I thought I was being clever by ending it with Desmond talking to Penny when he was on the freighter. Then there were three or four other vids in the contest that ended the same way and I was sooooo freaked! I was scared-to-death people would think I copied. Ais had to talk me down off the ledge! She told me these things happen all the time in vidding, and that has been borne out by my experiences since then.

So, truly, no worries.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all got tarnished for using the same song for a fandom then I think EVERY vidder would be screwed! It's very difficult to find a video that contains a song that hasn't been used within that fandom at one point or another.

I mean, Running Up That Hill, for example. Most fandoms will have dozens of videos to that song, all similar in that they are all relating to the same song so they're also trying to fit the same mood and theme. People will have seen a video to that song and thought it would fit their fandom/ship/character or imagined their own take on the song to the same fandom.

Anyone who is ignorant enough to assume every person who uses the same song for their fandom in their vidding is copying them and/or someone else is obviously not familiar with the vidding community. We all do this for fun and some people take it too seriously so don't let them ruin it for you.

It's nothing to worry about, don't let petty people get under your skin. My advice would be to ignore them as you don't have to justify yourself to them at all. If you feel uncomfortable with anyone commenting or messaging you, block them and continue to make videos to whatever song and fandom you want!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all. This has been freaking me out; first time I got a response like that, so I was kinda freaked and worried that it would blow up even more. I hope because I didn't respond to what they said to me, that they'll let it go. I was gonna reply at first but then decided it might do more harm than good.

I wonder how they found my video so fast, it's only been up a day and mine and the other person didn't have any connections; video response, subscribe ect. So it makes me wonder. but i guess it was just a luck of the draw that they'd find my video. I mean, my channel isn't posted any where else except for one OUAT site.

What you all have said, has helped me calm down and not worry so much, so thank you a lot for all you have said!

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them finding it wouldn't be uncommon. I get recommended videos through YT. Or on the side. If I'm on a video I see others I night be interested in.

People on YT can be nasty. Don't let them put you down. I usually ignore empty criticism. If they say it to be hurtful and not to be helpful.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them finding it wouldn't be uncommon. I get recommended videos through YT. Or on the side. If I'm on a video I see others I night be interested in.

People on YT can be nasty. Don't let them put you down. I usually ignore empty criticism. If they say it to be hurtful and not to be helpful.
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this person is keeping an eye on my stuff now because I uploaded a preview of a twilight video i've been working on and it was on YT for a total of 30 seconds and I got a dislike on it already. Plus, I made another YT account, uploaded that same video and had 2 likes on it... I deleted the video and decided to upload it on my Samhradh name instead and that's what happened. (I had the other account just to have the name cause I like it)

If this girl is doing this because she doesn't like me, then that's taking it a bit too far. This Twilight video looks like nothing like other videos I've seen and I have been working on it for months, so IF she tries to say I'm coping someone, then she's so wrong.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest blocking them. It'll make your life easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: