Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Office - American Version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: The Office - American Version Reply with quote

When I first heard that they were going to do an American version of the AWESOME show The Office from BBC I was very unthrilled. Yes, it was going to star Steve Carell, a comedic genious, but I really didn't see how taking a perfect show and removing the god-like comedic genius of Ricky Gervais was going to be a good idea.

Nevertheless, I watched the pilot episode to see for myself how it would be. Well, I sort of watched it. There was some HDTV glitch that cut out the dialouge for the first ten minutes. There were other sound effects, but no dialouge. Don't ask me how this is even possible. Eventually the sound was restored and I'm currently downloading a decent copy of the show for full review.

Once we were able to watch with sound and all, I was not too surprised to find out that the first episode was almost a verbatim copy of the BBC version. Many of the gags were not as funny in the new version. They did pull off the jello bit slightly better when Carell chimed in with "Pudding" where Gervais originally said "I was just trying to think of other deserts". I thought that part was better, but then they had to ruin it by trying to pointlessly return to the jello gag at the end of the show.

The American version seems to be really trying to hit you over the head with whole Tim/Dawn relationship (sorry, don't remember the American character's names). The subtlety of the BBC version did this FAR better.

The original BBC version was only 6 episodes for it's first season and I know that won't fly for an American sitcom, so it'll be interesting to see what ideas they come up with that will be unique to this show and whether or not they're any good.

Carell is damn good, but I can't get Gervais out of my mind. For my money he's a 1000 times funnier.

I do, however, hope that this show does well, simply because I'm sure Gervais is making money off this version also.

I think for people who have NEVER seen the BBC version, that this version will certainly be a good time.

Anyhow, that's my two cents on the show. I'll tune in a few more times to see how it's doing. We miss you Gervais. When can we see The Extras?

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's.... BBC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britsh Broadcasting... Channel? Circuit? I don't know. It's the channel they air British shows on.

The Office started as a British show staring and created by Ricky Gervais. It's FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Rent, Buy, or Download it immediately.

They also have short seasons. 6 episodes for season one. 6 episodes for season 2. And then two "Christmas" episodes. That's the ENTIRE SHOW.

It's brilliant the way they don't drag out shows in England.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'll make a list now why it sucked. because lists are cool.

1. It feels like everyone is doing a bad impression of the real Office characters.

2. Jim is a horrible Tim

3. The new Tim/Dawn are both bad actors. Tim/Dawn's relationship felt real in the BBC Office. In this one it feels so forced and wrong.

4. Gervais > Carell. .

5. The camera work is not good. It felt like I was way too close to everyone. It was funnier in BBC Office where it says wide and you can see everyone's reactions to the uncomfortable situations at once.

6. They went back to the Jello.

7. What was so 'Americanized' about it? He referenced Punked? The only difference I could sense was that this show felt dumbed down and slow on the draw. Not to mention un-original. Come on.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito is 100% correct. This was a bad idea from the start. If they wanted people in America to watch the show they should have just had the balls to just air the original here in the states.

LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw the British version so I got the opportunity to see Steve Carrell (one of my favorite Daily Show vets) without bias. I watched it with my twin sister, and a friend--both of them had never seen the original BBC version either. Gotta say it was a split. My twin and I loved it. Kind of dry humor, which i adore-but my friend seemed distracted like she was waiting for a laugh track to help her watch it.
Overall I thought it was a great show, and one of the more promising sitcoms on TV--the only other one worth my time is CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM. Looking forward to future shows, and hope to hell NBC doesn't cancel it after a few weeks-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura: I beg you, get the original. You'll thank me later.

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you watch the original you might feel horribly cheated.

I rented Season 1 of the BBC Office this last summer and loved it. So now I'm.. uh, renting Season 2 right now...

Jake, please tell me it's just as good as the first! *crosses fingers*
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is as good. And the specials are an AWESOME finally for the show.

LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the thing, i don't want to feel cheated LOL. If i have no standards going into it, I can't decide I hate it by next week. I probably will rent it though, or knowing my sister we'll buy it at Newbury Comics in a week LOL. I'll let you know when I've invested-l

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the second episode of the american office. I promptly deleted both episodes and vow to not watch anymore. It was patheticly un-funny.

I decided I'm going to buy this.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
I just watched the second episode of the american office. I promptly deleted both episodes and vow to not watch anymore. It was patheticly un-funny.

I decided I'm going to buy this.

I watched last night's episode and decided the show is more awkward than funny. I did enjoy the Jamican card on blondie's forhead though-l

Jake's Twin
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched also. It had a couple of moments, but again, original is FAR better.

Enjoyed the Chris Rock bits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: