Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hunger Games (books & movies)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little brother is 14 and he's reading The Hunger Games for the first time! I haven't talked to him for like a week (uh...whoops?) but my mom says he's enjoying it! I think it's one of those books that can appeal to pretty much any age!

I was a little bit skeptical about the casting at first, but the trailer banished all my doubts. I think Jennifer Lawrence is going to be a PERFECT Katniss!

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a related to the Hunger Games series story... my niece is 14, and over the summer I mentioned that she might enjoy THG. I only brought it up twice, but apparently she was very annoyed about it and told my mom she had no desire to read it. Last week in her English class, she found out they have to read the series and then they're going on a field trip to see the movie when it comes out. She was soooo mad! I think she thinks I somehow coerced her teacher into making her read it. Haha! I hope she enjoys it anyway.

He, wouldn't it be just hilarious if she ended up totally loving the books??

Quote:
My little brother is 14 and he's reading The Hunger Games for the first time! I haven't talked to him for like a week (uh...whoops?) but my mom says he's enjoying it! I think it's one of those books that can appeal to pretty much any age!

I agree.

Well, some of the stuff in the books - especially in the last one - is really dark and despressing. Not sure if every teenager is able to cope with that. I wouldn't really recommend it to kids younger than 12 though.

Quote:
I was a little bit skeptical about the casting at first, but the trailer banished all my doubts. I think Jennifer Lawrence is going to be a PERFECT Katniss!

I believe so, too.
It looks like they did an excellent job on the casting. Love the choice of the actors for Peeta & Gale, too, and even more so Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Donald Sutherland as President Snow and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.
I think they're all going to be amazing!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these books!!!

Can't wait for the movie!!

That is all ...
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be SO funny, Karolina! Apparently she told my mom the other day that it wasn't as bad as she expected, so maybe she will!

That's awesome that your brother is reading them, Eryn!

I was also a bit skeptical about the movie at first, but I actually really like the casting and I think it's going to be an awesome trilogy.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music video for Safe and Sound (from the Hunger Games soundtrack) just came out!

http://www.mtv.com/videos/taylor-swift/732819/safe-sound.jhtml#id=1678910

art by me&tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of you when I saw that she was on the soundtrack, Eryn!
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*squee!* I was SO excited to see that video!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, aw, thanks, Julia!

Omg, me too, Ais! I really love it!

art by me&tammy
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another song from the soundtrack has been released! This one's by Arcade Fire and it's called Abraham's Daughter.

I am so excited for everything about this movie, including the soundtrack! This one makes me think of the Reaping.

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone else seen the movie yet??

Spoiler tag, just in case:

Spoiler:

I'm so happy and so relieved! It's so much better than I'd expected it to be! I'm glad they were taking it easy on the whole triangle romance thing. Thank God!!! I was so afraid it would become a second Twilight sort of thing!

I also thought the cast was really excellent! Jennifer Lawrence was perfect as Katniss and I also liked Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. They had perfect choice for almost every - and even the smallest - character of the first book. I loved the choices for President Snow, Seneca Crane, Caesar Flickerman and Prim.

The ones who totally won me over though - apart from Jennifer Lawrence - were Lenny Kravitz as Cinna and the little girl who played Rue. ♥♥♥

The weak links - in my personal opinion - were Gale and Effie. I wasn't impressed by either of them. I hope they'll give Gale more chances to shine in the second part though - and for the actor to prove why they'd cast him cause I didn't see that at all in this first film. Gale was one of my favourites in the books.

There were some changes from the book, obviously, but all in all it was pretty close to the book and very well done.

The changes that I didn't like so much were the missing scene with Katniss and that Avox girl. I see why they didn't include it but I would've liked to see it because I think it was important enough. But that's just my two cents on that matter. I also would've liked to see a bit more of Katniss's background as well... her family, her dad, Gale.

The changes I really loved though were the little additions they made here and there like allowing the viewer a look into the control rooms, the scenes with Snow and Seneca dicussing Katniss, the scenes of how the rebellion begins after Rue's death.
In the books, we only hear about all this stuff after Katniss & Peeta have returned from the arena but it was great to see it happening while they were still in the arena. The story gathered a lot of momentum from this.

All in all, I'm really happy about how this movie turned out to be and I'm already looking forward to the second part!! (Finnick!!! ♥♥♥)

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading THG Book1 and I'm about 4 chapters away from finishing it and i might see the movie tomorrow if it's not sold out. So far I'm really liking it a lot!

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it today!!!!! it was soooo good!! I was so happy with it, it took them ages to get to the actual Games but i figured it would I adore Jennifer as Katniss, she's perfect!! And its so good to see a lostie in there as their mother!

Donald Sutherland as Pres. Snow has always screamed perfection to me, he does evil so well I love Liam Hemsworth as Gale <3 I hope he gets much more to do in movie 2, from what i remember he doesnt have a lot to do in book 1 anyway. and yeah, love Liam despite his taste in girlfriends (hes dating miley cyrus)

I loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, it surprised me but he gave so much more warmth than I felt when I read him in the book.

I was waiting for the Avox girl to speak to Katniss!! THey were there in that penthouse just standing there, they kinda hinted at it when katniss says "they could cut out our tongues", maybe that's just a little inside easter egg for fans of the books

The control room was fantastic, and the commentary, and I love how they did the screens in town, i thought they would be really over the top but they were perfect

I jumped a mile when that morphed dog came flying out of the trees!!!

But I loved it!!! Awesome start, definitely should not be compared to twilight in any way!!

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read the books (I know a lot about the books through subbing; one class was reading it and I knew a lot about the aftermath of The Hunger Games); but I went to the midnight showing last night. I enjoyed it.

Lenny; I've never seen him in anything and I really liked him. I thought he gave off this perfect warmth.

Woody; I loved him. But I honestly love him in everything.

Stanely Tucci; was just awesome.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is going far; she's been so talented in so many things I've seen her in.

Elizabeth Banks as Effie; she was a blast. Her chemistry with Woody Harrelson; Haymitch was PERFECT. I love her anyway. I thought she was great. "That is mahogany!" We needed a lot of her comic relief during the film; at least I did.

I know there's a Gale/Katniss/Peeta thing...but at this point I prefer Gale/Katniss.

The mother left no impression on me but I think that's the point. She's been traumatized with her husband's death and seems like she's just now getting out of that state.

I thought the acting by the Career tributes was really good. Becuase I really hated them all.

I thought the directing was amazing; the only thing I didn't like was when Katniss gets stuck; having her vision blurred and zooming in and out was great; but having the shots of her zooming in and out and using those edits didn't make much sense to me.

I'm ready for the next. And I'll be reading the books.
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the book last night and then saw this movie today and loved both! The only thing I didn't like about the movie was has fast they changed the scenes, like one min it shows Katniss trying to figure out where she was and look for water, then the next it shows her at the water spot, and a bunch other parts like that. I thouht they skipped a lot of good scenes, needed scenes and I feel like those scenes they didn't use could have helped the movie a lot more. I felt like the movie ended too soon with them skipping like that. Yeah, it was like 2 hours, but it sure didn't feel like it.

I need to get a hold of book 2 and get to reading that before the second movie comes out, if that had been confirmed of being made that is.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering it already beat Twilight at the office; I bet it's getting that sequel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: