Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vegas 10 || Flash Effect (**NOT Transition**) ||

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustSerendipitous

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Sony Vegas 10 || Flash Effect (**NOT Transition**) || Reply with quote

Hi-

I'm a fairly new vidder and recently bought Sony Vegas and am gradually adjusting to its editing format. I was wondering how to do a flash effect for a video. Now I don't mean the transition effect -- I've come to understand those quite well and use them alot in the videos I'm working on. I was asking more about using the flash DURING the scene, but not cutting away from it. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx7t5LsB50o&feature=channel_video_title

A really pretty HP video .. the vidder used the effect most of the second half of the video, but you can clearly see what I'm referring to at the 3:24 , 3:49 , and 4:06 marks. Its as if the white balance (is that what its called? ) just turns up for a second, and then goes back to normal.

As I said, I already know of the flash transition. Also am aware of using a solid color generator in Vegas and cutting it down and placing it into a clip to make a flash within the clip. None of those seem to be the effect I'm looking for...

I hope my explanation helped...I've read the posts on here for a while and you're all so brilliant so I thought I'd give it a shot!

xox

JustSerendipitous
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome to LVI!

The easiest way I know to do that effect is to use the Additive Dissolve transition. You take your clip and make a cut where you want the flash to go, then, without moving the "two" clips, just pull the edge of the first one over to the right and the edge of the second one back to the left to make a crossfade transition within that one clip. Looking at it without any other transition on it, it should look just like it did before you made the cuts.

Then just put the Additive Dissolve transition on the place where they're crossing and that should give you the effect you're looking for. You can also play around with the other types of dissolves if additive should end up not giving you quite the effect you were looking for.

You also can do things like use keyframes to cause the brightness to rise then fall at specific points within the clip but I find the Additive Dissolve trick to be more what I'm usually looking for. I hope that helps!

Again, welcome to LVI and I hope we'll be seeing some of your vids soon!
JustSerendipitous

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aislynn-

Thanks so much for the help! The additive dissolve transition did work quite well. Its a very subtle effect. I never thought of keyframing Brightness (I don't know why), but thats almost exactly what I was looking for. Now I've got two different ways to do the effect, so thats awesome .

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad I'm finally posting on here, and I'll definitely share my videos once they're done. Thanks again!
barrymorgan88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Hi there and welcome to LVI!

The easiest way I know to do that effect is to use the Additive Dissolve transition. You take your clip and make a cut where you want the flash to go, then, without moving the "two" clips, just pull the edge of the first one over to the right and the edge of the second one back to the left to make a crossfade transition within that one clip. Looking at it without any other transition on it, it should look just like it did before you made the cuts.

Then just put the Additive Dissolve transition on the place where they're crossing and that should give you the effect you're looking for. You can also play around with the other types of dissolves if additive should end up not giving you quite the effect you were looking for.

You also can do things like use keyframes to cause the brightness to rise then fall at specific points within the clip but I find the Additive Dissolve trick to be more what I'm usually looking for. I hope that helps!

Again, welcome to LVI and I hope we'll be seeing some of your vids soon!

I was wondering the same question, and I came across this post. Super helpful, thank you for the post. I had not thought of using keyframes to enhance brightness, and I think this tool has really improved the quality of my editing. I am working on a video that I shot at the Best Las Vegas Spring Break Hotel when I saw the Best Vegas Magic Show. I hope the video turns out awesome! Will continue to read posts on here and learn so much more. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: